kmochi

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
hey guys, I just started modding my car a few months ago so I'm not too educated with this stuff and have a few questions.

I'm running the phearable 1.5r tune and was wondering if it's normal to have like no torque at all under 3500rpms? anything above 3500 rpms feels great tho - hitting ~22psi in 2nd and ~24-26psi in 3rd and 4th in map 3. Just curious because I remember on the stock tune I would have a little torque in 1st and 2nd gear at lower rpms.

also, my car seems to be running really rich. at idle my stft seems to be anywhere from -10 to -18% and my ltft is around -12 to -18% depending on when and how long I drive. these numbers are there regardless of which tune I run. they're the same whether I run phearable or ktuner basemaps. will a custom tune fix these numbers or is this a sign of a bigger problem...

I drive a 2018 civic si coupe 85k miles and got an oil change and swapped out the spark plugs few days ago. current mods are mishimoto performance intake, greddy type28e IC, AWE track exhaust, and phearable 1.5r tune. I also fill up with 91oct with around 1.2gal of e85.

any input is appreciated. thank you.
Sponsored

cota

First Name
jaiden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
have ur fuel trims always been this way? when did you notice it? is it because the intake?

for example, i started running ktuner v2 on basemap tune and my fuel trims were normal. i slapped on the injen intake and the fuel trims were extremely rich, -25% stft and ltft. i knew the issue was just maf scaling so i scaled the map down to make the tune compatible for the intake. no issues since and my fuel trims are fixed.

first id suggest you try putting back ur stock intake to see if the issue is gone. if it does create normal fuel trims, then it's ur intake causing it.

my personal opinion is that you need to adjust the maf scaling according to ur intake due to a difference in the maf housing(maf housing is the are where the maf sensor sits on ur intake and measures the volume of air passing through or something like that).

options:
1) revert to stock intake
2) tune maf scaling by urself (free, but do at ur own risk. - i chose this route)
3) e-tune/custom tune

if u have any questions lmk

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Do your drives include a lot of idling? That can skew the numbers a bit.

OP
OP

kmochi

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
have ur fuel trims always been this way? when did you notice it? is it because the intake?

for example, i started running ktuner v2 on basemap tune and my fuel trims were normal. i slapped on the injen intake and the fuel trims were extremely rich, -25% stft and ltft. i knew the issue was just maf scaling so i scaled the map down to make the tune compatible for the intake. no issues since and my fuel trims are fixed.

first id suggest you try putting back ur stock intake to see if the issue is gone. if it does create normal fuel trims, then it's ur intake causing it.

my personal opinion is that you need to adjust the maf scaling according to ur intake due to a difference in the maf housing(maf housing is the are where the maf sensor sits on ur intake and measures the volume of air passing through or something like that).

options:
1) revert to stock intake
2) tune maf scaling by urself (free, but do at ur own risk. - i chose this route)
3) e-tune/custom tune

if u have any questions lmk
thx for such a detailed reply!

I'm not sure when these numbers started, but I noticed them when I first flashed the car with ktuner. I did have the intake on before the tune tho..

I did revert back to stock airbox and also flashed back to factory a few weeks ago, but the numbers are still rich. however, I did clean the maf sensor a few days ago and that seemed to help a little bit but I'm still running rich..

I'm gonna clean the intake filter and reoil it tmrw and also clean the maf sensor one more time we'll see. I do agree with you that it could be fixed by rescaling my maf, since the car runs completely fine. (no hard starts, no rough idle, etc.)

I'm down to spend some money on a custom etune, but do you think it'll be worth it with the mods I have? I'm not planning on doing any more bolt ons or upgrading the turbo. I like how the car feels right now, it's just that the negative fuel trims are tripping me out lol

OP
OP

kmochi

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Do your drives include a lot of idling? That can skew the numbers a bit.
lol I think I got you guys confused 😂

but I do idle my car for around 30 min on work days. I reset my ecu a few days ago though when I cleaned my maf sensor, and my ltft eventually went back to -12 after a short drive... just hoping a custom tune will fix this.

cota

First Name
jaiden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
i idle a lot as well and i gotta say, my fuel trims mostly vary depending on how much my ac is on bc my short ram gets so much air in with the radiator fan blasting and it messes with my fuel trims on occasions. ive slimmed all ranges of fuel trims from idle to wot so i run very consistent on and off the throttle.

you see, if you did get a custom tune, would it just basically be for the fuel trims itself? because that is like a $300 or so for an etune by drob. i do believe there are some civic tuners in cali tho. the tune would only be "worth" it depending on ur goals in the tune itself.

i think there supposedly is a possibility with the fuel system when rich conditions but i honestly have no idea and i suggest not touching it.

just a heads up, u can watch videos on maf scaling and diy if u end up having to take this route.

OP
OP

kmochi

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
i idle a lot as well and i gotta say, my fuel trims mostly vary depending on how much my ac is on bc my short ram gets so much air in with the radiator fan blasting and it messes with my fuel trims on occasions. ive slimmed all ranges of fuel trims from idle to wot so i run very consistent on and off the throttle.

you see, if you did get a custom tune, would it just basically be for the fuel trims itself? because that is like a $300 or so for an etune by drob. i do believe there are some civic tuners in cali tho. the tune would only be "worth" it depending on ur goals in the tune itself.

i think there supposedly is a possibility with the fuel system when rich conditions but i honestly have no idea and i suggest not touching it.

just a heads up, u can watch videos on maf scaling and diy if u end up having to take this route.
you know what, I did notice that the ac changes my fuel trims. with the ac on, my stft will hover between -10 to -15 but with the ac off it seems to jump up to -20 to -25...

I do want to try scaling my maf, but unfortunately the phearable tune is locked so I can't modify it...

anyways thanks for all your help man. I might have to just try out that custom tune.

vitooooo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 VIC
Country flag
hey guys, I just started modding my car a few months ago so I'm not too educated with this stuff
Uuuummm yeah,

This isn't going to end up very well,

You are the equivalent of going to a blind doctor for open heart surgery

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
thx for such a detailed reply!

I'm not sure when these numbers started, but I noticed them when I first flashed the car with ktuner. I did have the intake on before the tune tho..

I did revert back to stock airbox and also flashed back to factory a few weeks ago, but the numbers are still rich. however, I did clean the maf sensor a few days ago and that seemed to help a little bit but I'm still running rich..

I'm gonna clean the intake filter and reoil it tmrw and also clean the maf sensor one more time we'll see. I do agree with you that it could be fixed by rescaling my maf, since the car runs completely fine. (no hard starts, no rough idle, etc.)

I'm down to spend some money on a custom etune, but do you think it'll be worth it with the mods I have? I'm not planning on doing any more bolt ons or upgrading the turbo. I like how the car feels right now, it's just that the negative fuel trims are tripping me out lol
If your numbers are still rich after flashing back to stock, and using stock intake, then maf scaling is not your issue. I would suspect an issue with injectors. Those numbers are not normal. Has your car thrown a code yet?

OP
OP

kmochi

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
If your numbers are still rich after flashing back to stock, and using stock intake, then maf scaling is not your issue. I would suspect an issue with injectors. Those numbers are not normal. Has your car thrown a code yet?
no cel at all. car runs great too, it's just the numbers ...

cota

First Name
jaiden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
as much as i didn't want to admit that it could be a fuel related issue
Sponsored