Initial impressions from a first-time Si owner

BlackedoutFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My SI just arrived at the dealership. Having issues with the vin # not able to pull up info at credit union and auto insurance company. Anyone else with a new Si have that problem? Guess since it's so new?
I had that issue. GEICO couldn't even find the VIN so they put year/make/model/submodel and about a week later they got it to work
Sponsored

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
This will also be my first Si.

I test drove a black Si coupe over the weekend. I'm very impressed! Didn't really romp on it because it's so fresh but I really didn't have any complaints at all. Seats were fantastic, shifter and the shift knob were excellent, the whole comfort of the car was great. There didn't seem to be a large difference between the comfort and sport mode, but more seat time will determine that. I didn't notice much lag for how little I accelerated, but I would also say that it wouldn't be debilitating unless I was REALLY in a hurry. The clutch was light but maybe not near as light as what everyone else seems to be thinking. Very high engagement point, but with wear, that should come down to a more comfortable level. The exhaust had a very nice growl to it and seemed just as loud as a stock 8th gen Si exhaust (brother used to have one many years ago.)

Now I have even less patience for my white sedan... no ETA. :cry:

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I finally found the time to get the new Si insured and legal today. A month ago, State Farm didn't have a listing for the 2017 Si yet, so I got a quote for a 2015 Si to get a general idea. Today, I added the 2017 Si using the VIN for $4.66/mo. more than a 2015 Si - fair enough given the lower value of the two-year-old example I used for an initial quote.

Since I bought the vehicle out of state, I had to get my own inspection. That was $7. After that, I was able able to pay the sales tax, register the vehicle, apply for a title, and pick up the license plates at a county tax office.

While the state inspection was being done, several of the employees (older and younger alike) at the inspection station were performing their own inspection - they were really checking the little Si out! I've never received so much attention in a vehicle before. I can't imagine what it would be like owning a Type R.

11 days and almost 700 miles and still loving it more each time I drive it. :)

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
This will also be my first Si.

I test drove a black Si coupe over the weekend. I'm very impressed! Didn't really romp on it because it's so fresh but I really didn't have any complaints at all. Seats were fantastic, shifter and the shift knob were excellent, the whole comfort of the car was great. There didn't seem to be a large difference between the comfort and sport mode, but more seat time will determine that. I didn't notice much lag for how little I accelerated, but I would also say that it wouldn't be debilitating unless I was REALLY in a hurry. The clutch was light but maybe not near as light as what everyone else seems to be thinking. Very high engagement point, but with wear, that should come down to a more comfortable level. The exhaust had a very nice growl to it and seemed just as loud as a stock 8th gen Si exhaust (brother used to have one many years ago.)

Now I have even less patience for my white sedan... no ETA. :cry:
I was in the same boat my friend... but my dealer just texted me saying I would get it before July 28th. Another month to go :(

b0j4ngl35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Man...beautiful ride. Kinda makes me wish I'd have held off on buying my EX hatch to get one of these instead. I wasn't a big fan of the Si being only coupe/sedan, but that bright red paint on yours totally changed my mind. Looks amazing!

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
"Try THAT with your ST, GTI, or WRX."

LOL LOL LOL LOL

You realize those cars vs Civic Si are completely different niche market? 2.0-2.5 turbo, with more than 250 horses and 250 torque FWD or AWD.... I would rather have GTi, ST or WRX than Si... but being a budget oriented "sports" car with a tiny 1.5 engine....
I'm getting 31.5 mixed driving on my 2017 AWD v6 Murano :)

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For the first time since I bought my Si almost two months ago, I drove the Ridgeline the last few days to stretch its legs. It felt like a huge, solid, quiet, isolated, smooth, high-end luxury car that sits really high up in the air. There's so much room in the cabin I feel like I could stand up and walk around. There are so many electronic gadgets that I basically just sit there and enjoy the soothing, comfortable trip while the vehicle drives itself. The downsides, however, are that the steering wheel feels way too thin and requires lots of turns and what used to feel powerful now feels slow by comparison.

After having spent the last few days in the Ridgeline, I took the Si back out for a fill-up this evening. Wow. It's so precise and torquey and tossable and flat. The ride is firm, yet very comfortable. I'm pleased all over again with the Si - truly one of the best automobile purchases I've ever made. Honda did really well with this car.

It's amazing just how different two chunks of metal with four wheels can move people from A to B with such completely different personalities - each one excellent in its own right at its intended duty.

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
It's amazing just how different two chunks of metal with four wheels can move people from A to B with such completely different personalities - each one excellent in its own right at its intended duty.
This.

This is why I get frustrated with some car enthusiasts of today. They think speed and/or hp are the only thing that defines a quality sports(y) car, calling the Si, 86/BRZ, or Miata slow, or dismiss them due to lack of power. Every single driver in the world prefers a certain kind of driving experience, and that does not make one car or the other inferior, even a Corolla. For enthusiasts being out-gunned by a minivan hurts their ego..... :dunno:....okay, maybe I shouldn't go there. :D:D

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This.

This is why I get frustrated with some car enthusiasts of today. They think speed and/or hp are the only thing that defines a quality sports(y) car, calling the Si, 86/BRZ, or Miata slow, or dismiss them due to lack of power. Every single driver in the world prefers a certain kind of driving experience, and that does not make one car or the other inferior, even a Corolla. For enthusiasts being out-gunned by a minivan hurts their ego..... :dunno:....okay, maybe I shouldn't go there. :D:D
Very well said.

And, I was out-gunned by a Ford Taurus, not a minivan. :oops:

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
After having spent the last few days in the Ridgeline, I took the Si back out for a fill-up this evening. Wow. It's so precise and torquey and tossable and flat. The ride is firm, yet very comfortable. I'm pleased all over again with the Si - truly one of the best automobile purchases I've ever made. Honda did really well with this car.
I just had a similar experience, having driven the TSX last night for the first time after a month of only driving the Si. Usually whenever I drove any other car (including test-drives, but mostly rentals or Acura-service loaners), I've always looked forward to getting back into the TSX because it had always felt so much better - tighter, lighter, flatter, etc. And now I feel like the Si definitively took its place. The clutch was extremely tight and almost too short (!) in comparison, and I actually felt how it was "looser" when turned/tossed around. I definitely like the Si better.

All a matter of (comparative) perspective...

JNOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00' EX H23A, 17' Si Sedan WOP
I just had a similar experience, and I actually felt how it was "looser" when turned/tossed around. I definitely like the Si better.

All a matter of (comparative) perspective...
Same here when driving my wife's 16' Altima this past weekend for the first time in a few weeks :lol:

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
Very well said.

And, I was out-gunned by a Ford Taurus, not a minivan. :oops:
Nothing to be ashamed of. Assuming you raced the newer model Taurus, you were going up against a vehicle with a 3.5-liter turbocharged V-6 engine; 365 hp, 350 lb-ft; 6-speed automatic transmission AWD in a straight line, not even the wrx would stand a chance in a straight pull.
Sponsored