Batacap

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic SI 2018
Country flag
I know buying a flood car is a horrible idea, but even then I still did it.

I was tired of buying beaters on marketplace to get my by, so decided to finance a vehicle. I know civics are extremely reliable and I love SI’s.
Anyways I saw this 2018 SI for sale, the asking price was 17,000 which I felt was fair. But it wasn’t until I arrived at the dealer did I find it was flood salvage.

The vehicle was flooded about 2 years ago and has been sitting since, not fixed or maintenance since the flood incident, But even then, it drove amazing.

I started some paperwork and then found out about how high this water went, about to the drivers side door handle, I should have walked out but they told me about their warranty and it seemed like a good warranty.
Anyways I paid an extra 5,000 for the warranty and that took the total to 22,000.

Since buying the vehicle last month I’ve put about 3,000 miles on it. (I’m active duty and recently just took a lot of leave to travel). I haven’t had any problem besides some codes coming up which I expected to happen.

I’ve taken the car to Honda for inspection, they said everything looked great. Ive have had the car detailed because it smelled like a river when I bought it. I’m soon going to try and use my warranty to fix the electrical problem, but I don’t think they will give the green light to work it.

(when I bought the car the dealership was closing so the process was rushed, I wasn’t able to fully read the terms and conditions to the warranty.Also if I cancel it they take a %30 percent cancellation fee)

Anyways I’m not too worried about the vehicle, but I really don’t know what’s going to happen to the car, I’m thinking about canceling the warranty and just paying it off ASAP! There’s obvious dirt and grime in engine bay but no horrible corrosion I could find. And I know these days there is preventative engineering for floods in cars.

I just wanted some insight on what you guys think about all this, so far I love the car I’m just nervous about the future. Should I cancel the warranty? Do y’all think the car will live? My father had a flooded vehicle and it never once gave him an issue.

Honda Civic 10th gen I bought a flooded 2018 Civic Si IMG_8073

Honda Civic 10th gen I bought a flooded 2018 Civic Si IMG_7949

Honda Civic 10th gen I bought a flooded 2018 Civic Si IMG_8095

Honda Civic 10th gen I bought a flooded 2018 Civic Si IMG_8092

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
Oof. That's a pretty high water line. The transmission and most of the engine would have been under water... I have to wonder how well they cleaned it all out... I'd take of the flywheel inspection plate and see if there's mud in the bell housing.

I would expect a lot of wonky stuff to happen. I would not have spent that kind of money on a flood vehicle. It's a total loss to the insurance company, paid out.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
The market isn’t what it was. At $22k you can find an Si without all that history.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Oof. That's a pretty high water line. The transmission and most of the engine would have been under water... I have to wonder how well they cleaned it all out... I'd take of the flywheel inspection plate and see if there's mud in the bell housing.

I would expect a lot of wonky stuff to happen. I would not have spent that kind of money on a flood vehicle. It's a total loss to the insurance company, paid out.
OOF is right! 22k and it was damn near fully submerged!!

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
As others have said, taking a risk on a flooded car is always sketchy and not worth it especially for the price paid. You have no idea what sort of damage or gremlins could be lurking. You could have probably negotiated down quite a bit from that asking price of 17k. But what's done is done and at least you have the warranty going for you. I would not cancel that since you'll more than likely need it. What are the terms on the warranty?

OP
OP

Batacap

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic SI 2018
Country flag
As others have said, taking a risk on a flooded car is always sketchy and not worth it especially for the price paid. You have no idea what sort of damage or gremlins could be lurking. You could have probably negotiated down quite a bit from that asking price of 17k. But what's done is done and at least you have the warranty going for you. I would not cancel that since you'll more than likely need it. What are the terms on the warranty?

The terms are decent, 3 years 36,000 miles. About covers the entire car bumper to bumper.

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R, 2023 Indian Sport Chief
Country flag
3 years 36,000 miles for $5k... $22k for the car total. That dealer likely bought the car at auction or copart for a mint and made pure profit on it. They didn't even need to clean it or detail it for you. I had a 2018 Si, great car, but the flood damage is a ticking time bomb. Not sure what you father had in regard to a flood car, but there are so many factors in play here... It's impossible to draw a parallel to another flood car. I wish you the best of luck with it but I'd run from the thing as fast as possible if I could.

OP
OP

Batacap

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic SI 2018
Country flag
3 years 36,000 miles for $5k... $22k for the car total. That dealer likely bought the car at auction or copart for a mint and made pure profit on it. They didn't even need to clean it or detail it for you. I had a 2018 Si, great car, but the flood
The dealer I think won it for 6,000 so they definitely made a crazy profit… Unfortunately I have to live with this decision for a little bit, the vehicle has Been great so far, and since it’s been almost 2 years since flood and I’ve put about 3,000 miles on it so far I’m not entirely worried.

NazTehRpR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sedan Sport, '08 GSXR 600
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Least keep us updated as long as you have it, this is not….good but hope it sustains and you get it in the shop asap for a full inspection. :/
-
P.S just cuz your dad's flooded car survived doesn’t mean yours will(hopefully it does). Especially since you can actually “push” this car.

OP
OP

Batacap

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic SI 2018
Country flag
Least keep us updated as long as you have it, this is not….good but hope it sustains and you get it in the shop asap for a full inspection. :/
-
P.S just cuz your dad's flooded car survived doesn’t mean yours will(hopefully it does). Especially since you can actually “push” this car.
Thanks for the hope, I definitely know that there is no parallel in his car and mine, but because of his situation I’m more knowledgeable on the topic that’s all.

The Civic has already been inspected from not only the dealership but also a local mechanic I know, so far there isn’t any anything to cause concern.

I’m trying my best to not expect the best here but I’m doing what I can to keep this car going!

Sadé Smoove

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
This hurts my soul knowing i paid 20k for my si with 43k miles 3 years ago. Now theyre selling flooded si's at 17k 🤮

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
If it works fine, it works. Clean out the inside and make sure it’s safe. You already bought it now and enjoy driving it.

don’t stress until you need too
Sponsored