it happened to me 2 times on my 2017 civic..i will bring it the the dealer
Sponsored

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
'16 sedan, 2L NA, never had anything like described. I always set PB. Never use brake hold. I long for the days when you physically set the PB with healthy pull of arm or leg ...

TRWRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I have had the issue twice. Each time this error has occurred after using the brake hold about 3 days prior.

Jimmyson27

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sedan 2019 Sprot
Country flag
do i need/ should use electric parking brake. CVT transimission civic

TRWRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
If you use it. It will probably generate this error/software bug condition same as the brake hold. Apparently there is a TSB that the dealer can fix it. I am waiting to take it in the spring.

briandn12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback 2017
Just happened to me for the 4th time. Previous times I waited 2+ hrs for roadside assistance and the dealer claims there was no problem. Took a video this time. My entertainment screen will flicker on and off before this usually happens and then..boom, "electric parking brake problem" on a restart, the car will technically turn on but the transmission is locked. I am incredibly frustrated.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Just happened to me for the 4th time. Previous times I waited 2+ hrs for roadside assistance and the dealer claims there was no problem. Took a video this time. My entertainment screen will flicker on and off before this usually happens and then..boom, "electric parking brake problem" on a restart, the car will technically turn on but the transmission is locked. I am incredibly frustrated.
Car computers can have a mind of their own - just wait till they can self drive, and decide to just drive away by themselves and leave you !!!

Honda Civic 10th gen Electric parking brake problem computers-parrot-gadget-gadgetry-car_computers-car_showroom-njun2036_low

briandn12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback 2017
Car computers can have a mind of their own - just wait till they can self drive, and decide to just drive away by themselves and leave you !!!

computers-parrot-gadget-gadgetry-car_computers-car_showroom-njun2036_low.jpg
Haha

If I recall correctly, the last 2 times, the dealer said it was a "loose terminal". I don't think it should keep getting loosened. It isn't Jenna Jameson.

Given it was multiple, I have a ticket with Honda itself. Being #4 and documented via video, this should now classify it as a lemon under CA law but I don't even know if I wanna go through the hassle. Should just trade it in at this point. Got 30k miles on it and plenty of equity.

vp182905

First Name
Ness
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T
Country flag
I have had the issue twice. Each time this error has occurred after using the brake hold about 3 days prior.
Every time i use the Brake Hold I always have some issues with it. I get the function seems good however i can see how this would cause issues. I recently received the Brake Error issue yesterday and freaked out, after turning the car off and on about 4 times messing with the e-brake then it worked. After reading this comment i remembered i used Brake Hold a few days before this happened. I am waiting for a 'Brake Hold' recall........... It also messes up my dash screen as well. Crazy.

Intamin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport
Country flag
I just had this issue. Got the e-brake to engage then it wouldn’t disengage. The car wouldn’t turn on and eventually the start button light wasn’t even working. Totally dead.

I think it was the battery terminals. Thankfully a food truck owner parked right in front of me had a 10 mm socket in his tool bag and lent it to me so I could unplug the battery cables, clean the terminals (after 3 years there’s loads of battery chemical deposit chalky residue at each terminal), and reset the car. 30 min later I plugged it back in and all is well. I think I should just replace the battery here and now...even though the voltage isn’t showing as low.

I use brake hold daily AND the e-brake on inclines and haven’t really had a problem with either.

When I engaged the e-brake during the issue it made this awful sounding click a couple times. But after the battery reset and disengaging the brake everything seems fine now.

Gotta love it!

honduh

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic VTI-LX 16
Country flag
2016 vti-lx Australia
I've used brake hold every day for the past 6 years, no dramas.

Today I had this EP warning. Check system with EP icon. Both red and orange brake warning lights came on mid drive, as I was stopping at the lights after a particularly bumpy road and fast left turn. Notably triggering before brake hold would have, as I was still stopping, but before completely stopping...

I turned brake hold off, not wanting to risk the tech to accidentally engage the brake. Couple of stop lights later, I manually engaged hand brake, but the pull of the switch had more travel, and solidly clicked at the top, almost as if something had magically reconnected/seated... computer thought for a few seconds and the warning lights went away and I put brake hold back on and finished my drive to work...

No issues but not much time passed since "fixing". Will report back if it happens again.
Sponsored