T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
Maybe the solution would have been to but D16s in the LX and lower, K20s in the EX/Touring, and the L15 in the Si only

But from a manufacturing standpoint that seems wasteful
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I think the navigation omission is kind of a moot point - it seems as though Honda assumed you would be utilizing a smart phone, especially given it also lacks any optical media.

As far as leather, I have no complaints about it, Burt there man in the review video seemed to discredit it for lacking both of these features
Navigation is definitely a moot point. Every person nowaday has a smartphone. But I don't understand why they didn't offer it as an option when they did for the past 8th/9th gens. I guess it just didn't sell well or assumed it won't sell well with how much smartphones have taken over.

The reviewer who complains about the lack of leather just doesn't know much about the history of the SI. If they know anything about the SI, they would know that it has ALWAYS been based off of the EX trim (in the states) which doesn't come with leather.

Agreed 100%. I've felt all along that the 1.5T is more engine than the "regular" Civic needs (deserves?). Even the 2.0NA is a significant upgrade to the 1.8NA in the 9th regular Civic.
Yup. People probably want the 2.0t because the 1.5t is offered in the regular civics. If they weren't, there would be less people complaining about the fact that the SI didn't get the 2.0t
If they made it:
base trims - 2.0NA
SI trim - 1.5T
R trim - 2.0T

every trim would be differentiated and would have less complaints about the motor. I can understand honda for having to add the 1.5t to the base trims though because a regular civic sells much more than a SI/R trim and have to compete with other competitors having a low displacement turbo motor with much more fuel efficiency compared to the 2.0NA

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Maybe the solution would have been to but D16s in the LX and lower, K20s in the EX/Touring, and the L15 in the Si only

But from a manufacturing standpoint that seems wasteful
Yup. People probably want the 2.0t because the 1.5t is offered in the regular civics. If they weren't, there would be less people complaining about the fact that the SI didn't get the 2.0t
If they made it:
base trims - 2.0NA
SI trim - 1.5T
R trim - 2.0T

every trim would be differentiated and would have less complaints about the motor. I can understand honda for having to add the 1.5t to the base trims though because a regular civic sells much more than a SI/R trim and have to compete with other competitors having a low displacement turbo motor with much more fuel efficiency compared to the 2.0NA
I can understand Honda not wanting to make the 1.5T exclusive to the Civic Si since it wouldn't be economical for only one vehicle to use that engine. However, every 2017 CR-V uses that engine and most 2018 Accords will use that engine - there's a half a million each year in those two vehicles alone. The majority of Civic sales are LX, LX-P, and EX trims which don't even have the 1.5T.

The 9th Si used the Accord/CR-V engine - just like it does now, but the 9th non-Si Civic used the same 1.8L engine in every trim - unlike the 10th Civic. So, I still blame Honda for putting too much engine in the EX-T and above. ;)

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag

A
Honda Civic 10th gen Did Honda Kill The 2017 Civic Si? game-of-thrones-stannis-fewer-

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I can understand Honda not wanting to make the 1.5T exclusive to the Civic Si since it wouldn't be economical for only one vehicle to use that engine. However, every 2017 CR-V uses that engine and most 2018 Accords will use that engine - there's a half a million each year in those two vehicles alone. The majority of Civic sales are LX, LX-P, and EX trims which don't even have the 1.5T.

The 9th Si used the Accord/CR-V engine - just like it does now, but the 9th non-Si Civic used the same 1.8L engine in every trim - unlike the 10th Civic. So, I still blame Honda for putting too much engine in the EX-T and above. ;)
That's true. Your right majority of the civic sales would be the more "base" trims anyways. but don't forget about the hatchbacks that only comes with a 1.5t :)

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's true. Your right majority of the civic sales would be the more "base" trims anyways. but don't forget about the hatchbacks that only comes with a 1.5t :)
I see very few Civic hatchbacks in my area, but I realize that's not very scientific since they're hard to see behind all the lifted trucks and oversized SUVs. :) It would be nice to see hatchback sales broken down.

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maybe the solution should have been to put the K24 into the Si, such as it is found in the ILX.

I'm okay with the 1.5L, but i think the K24 being tried and true is more appealing for the "going to keep it forever" aspect, as I did feel buying this car with the 1.5L is a gamble.

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
in fact the ILX is overall a much more appealing car; just missing the manual transmission now and it is more costly

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Maybe the solution should have been to put the K24 into the Si, such as it is found in the ILX.

I'm okay with the 1.5L, but i think the K24 being tried and true is more appealing for the "going to keep it forever" aspect, as I did feel buying this car with the 1.5L is a gamble.
Although I have a supercharged K24, I don't think a K24 in the 10th gen would've been a good idea. It is already a tried and true motor but other competitors are going turbo so it didn't make sense imo for them to keep the NA motor. Once you add modifications to it, the gap is just going to widen even more because it is far easier for cars with boost to make more power. Sure you can add boost to the K24 but now you have to look at smog issues and having to "remove/install" or finding someone can become tiring over the years.
in fact the ILX is overall a much more appealing car; just missing the manual transmission now and it is more costly
I really like the ILX. It works well for my commute but they suffer in sales because they still have the image of basically an overpriced civic si with an Acura badge. The new refreshed ILX will probably come with the 1.5t and maybe offer a MT which might increase their sales.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

As good as the K24 was, its time is up. Honda couldn't have achieved the fuel economy numbers or flat, low torque curve of the 1.5T.

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As good as the K24 was, its time is up. Honda couldn't have achieved the fuel economy numbers or flat, low torque curve of the 1.5T.
I agree with this; i wonder why the ILX has the K24 still

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i wonder why the ILX has the K24 still
For the same reason the 2017 Accord still uses the K24: The ILX is "old". Assuming there is a next-generation ILX, it'll probably use the 1.5T and almost certainly will no longer use the K24.

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For the same reason the 2017 Accord still uses the K24: The ILX is "old". Assuming there is a next-generation ILX, it'll probably use the 1.5T and almost certainly will no longer use the K24.
Am I totally wrong?

I thought the ILX is based off the 10th gen civic?