Civic Type R vs Focus RS

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
can anyone take you seriously when you post a videogame video? guess you missed the other video posts - and can't be bothered to find videos that arn't forza or one's that are 100% biased.

please - tell me how a wet track test is at all an objective test? using cellphone timers? really - please try harder next time.

The Type-R is also faster at these tracks:
http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/grand-tour-eboladrome
http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/circuit-de-nevers-magny-cours-gp

Focus RS did it's Nurburgring lap...8:06.
type-R (2016) 7:50
Type-R (2017) 7:45.8 IIRC

not sure what else to say.

I will stand corrected thought - it seems the actual reported failures are within the standard levels for national ford quality. so, in that it's not a BAD car.
It was a joke. Hence the "bias".

The second video was not.

Well, you have proven me wrong. The Type R is indeed faster than the RS on the track. Honda has the better product, Ford need to go back to the drawing board and come back out with another RS that has more than just cosmetic mods.

Last edited:

Dr_Drache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 CRX - 2017 FK8 TypeR
Country flag
It was a joke. Hence the "bias".

The second video was not.

Well, you have proven me wrong. The Type R is indeed faster than the RS on the track. Honda has the better product, Ford need to go back to the drawing board and not come back out with another RS that has more than just cosmetic mods.
well, only partially wrong, but play martyr it fits well.

I was wrong with the quality of the car - it's rated higher than base civic from Edmunds/J.D. Power (could that be the civic I looked at was base and the RS is premium? not sure that point matters) , and even though I can't find any crash data i'd assume it did well.
the new 2018 limited edition DOES have a LSD in the front; which will help it ALOT...

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
How about you kids do some actual research - like I posted earlier in this thread

http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?p=58381

Buying a Focus RS gets you.......

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R vs Focus RS DSC_2317-X3

THIS IS YOUR DRIVESHAFT.....yes....that puny thing....

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R vs Focus RS DSC_2310-X3

THIS IS YOUR REAR DIFF......tiny, can't handle power or heat, and DISENGAGES COMPLETELY when it overheats

Honda Civic 10th gen Civic Type R vs Focus RS DSC_2312-X3

Rear suspension - practically ALL steel. Man, talk about quality...

After some digging through Ford documents, turns out this car doesn't even have a differential unit at all. There are electronically controlled clutches in the center diff as well as one for each rear drive axle. There are a network of computers, hydraulics, and robots controlling torque to each wheel. Lots of fancy doo-dads that are neat on paper, but terrible in practice. Hopefully there are some industrious folks who can crack the code and reprogram this unit to work better for performance driving.

One of the worst features of the rear suspension is this trailing arm torsion blade. This is a 1960s-era design used on the VW bug, where you use a flat spring steel arm that can accommodate the suspension arc by twisting. This arm is needed to locate the suspension fore-aft during travel. Massive rubber bushing up front also allows for all of this twist. That front bushing should get a spherical. You only do this type of rear suspension to save money.

The rest of the rear suspension is heavy, stamped steel bits. Not an ounce of aluminum anywhere back here. This seems to have been done for cost savings. I would expect more from a nearly $38K car, but I guess I'm picky. At least they improved on the janky rear swaybar endlink design used on the Focus ST, but that is about it.

This Focus is made by the same company that designed and built the S550 Mustang (shown above), which has an independent rear suspension light years ahead of the Focus - and which can take real power to a properly sized rear differential. Aluminum is used on the throughout Mustang's rear suspension to save weight. And while some of the GT350 Mustangs (non-track pack cars) are seeing differential overtemp issues on track, it seems to be a programming glitch. This only affect the small portion of these Mustangs that even have a temp sensor in the rear differential housing. We've seen S550 Mustangs being abused on track for years with no long term negative effects.
I could go on, but it's all there to read yourself.

It's so obviously clear that the Focus RS is just a high powered street car, where-as the Type-R was a purpose built performance/track car

All this bickering back and forth with nothing but opinionated editorial youtube reviews/comparisons and lap times are just laughable and a pretty damn good example why car forums are dying

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
well, only partially wrong, but play martyr it fits well.

I was wrong with the quality of the car - it's rated higher than base civic from Edmunds/J.D. Power (could that be the civic I looked at was base and the RS is premium? not sure that point matters) , and even though I can't find any crash data i'd assume it did well.
the new 2018 limited edition DOES have a LSD in the front; which will help it ALOT...
It does, doesn't it? :wave:

I have no issues with quality on my Civic other than the infotainment, the ST has been flawless, however that one is built here not in Germany like the RS. Either way I am looking to get rid of both for the Type R. The Ford Dealership network has really turned me off to the brand, Honda has always provided great service. Unfortunately the ADM bug has hit them too.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
I could go on, but it's all there to read yourself.

It's so obviously clear that the Focus RS is just a high powered street car, where-as the Type-R was a purpose built performance/track car

All this bickering back and forth with nothing but opinionated editorial youtube reviews/comparisons and lap times are just laughable and a pretty damn good example why car forums are dying

I mean I prefer the Honda due to the less complexity however you are kind of delusional if Honda also isn't just a bit tarted up street car. Every manufacturer uses those techniques to cut costs, I've worked on Hondas since the late 90's, Hondas are not immune from cost cutting. Both cars are econoboxes first. Advantage Honda has is that the new Type R is on a brand new platform, while the focus RS is on a chassis introduced in 2004.

Last edited:

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
I mean I prefer the Honda due to the less complexity however you are kind of delusional if Honda also isn't just a bit tarted up street car. Every manufacturer uses those techniques to cut costs, I've worked on Hondas since the late 90's, Hondas are not immune from cost cutting. Both cars are econoboxes first. Advantage Honda has is that the new Type R is on a brand new platform, while the focus RS is on a chassis introduced in 2004.
That's not even the point...and nobody was arguing that they aren't built off econoboxes...

The Civic Type R was a purpose built, fastest FWD Civic car out there. The Type R development was done when they reached that goal. It is the fastest CIVIC and the fastest OEM FWD car available.

The Focus RS was built to be an AWD, turbocharged hatchback and nothing else. Boosted engine + AWD system + hatchback -->> great, put it for sale!

That's the difference between the Type R and the Focus RS - the very point of this thread.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
thats exactly the point. both cars are equally great but both also have faults that come with being a mass produced econobox. To believe things like "purpose built" crap is buying in to their marketing.

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
How about the engine problems of the Focus RS. Head gasket or something.

seetohey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2018 M2; Future: CTR
That's not even the point...and nobody was arguing that they aren't built off econoboxes...

The Civic Type R was a purpose built, fastest FWD Civic car out there. The Type R development was done when they reached that goal. It is the fastest CIVIC and the fastest OEM FWD car available.

The Focus RS was built to be an AWD, turbocharged hatchback and nothing else. Boosted engine + AWD system + hatchback -->> great, put it for sale!

That's the difference between the Type R and the Focus RS - the very point of this thread.
Spot on. For a petrolhead like myself in the market for a hot hatch, it's the performance that matters most, specs are secondary. The CTR is built to be fast around a track, period. The FoRS's aim is to have sexy specs that may attract the more mainstream (HP, AWD, "drift mode"... etc).

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
bunch of fanboy remarks from bunch of people that has never sat behind the wheel. Focus RS is a incredible car to drive.

Phantisy

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.primalsynthetics.com
Vehicle(s)
'13 Honda Fit Sport, 17 Honda CTR
Country flag
Spot on. For a petrolhead like myself in the market for a hot hatch, it's the performance that matters most, specs are secondary. The CTR is built to be fast around a track, period. The FoRS's aim is to have sexy specs that may attract the more mainstream (HP, AWD, "drift mode"... etc).
"Drift mode" :rolleyes1:

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Instead of a RS I'd go for a full-time AWD STI, or Part-time AWD (one that actually works) Golf R. At least those have real robust AWD systems not A RDU unit taken out of a AWD CRV lmao

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
bunch of fanboy remarks from bunch of people that has never sat behind the wheel. Focus RS is a incredible car to drive.
I'm too big for the RS sadly.

seetohey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2018 M2; Future: CTR
I'm too big for the RS sadly.
Same. I was at the Montebello Ford the day they got their RS on the lot. Sat in it and immediately could not get comfortable with the positioning of the seat. A shame because I was really looking forward to it and had been following its launch as closely as I've been following the CTR launch.
Sponsored