Civic Type R (FK8) Traction Control - Hondata FlashPro

wtam1100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
? For anyone that goes Auto X if you have hondata TC enabled on your map. Do you run in sport or R? Figure most would be in R. Do you turn off VSA when you autocross? Or leave it on n u notice faster times since the hondata TC is enabled? I haven't had the chance to go Auto X since I bought the car.
Sponsored

Rob Hoeth

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I finally got the traction control working properly. Using the time scale from a datalog I got a 0-60 of 4.74 seconds. I had to use reduced power 1st and 2nd with improved throttle response. 6 MPH and 6% setting. I went by when I hit 60 mph rear wheels from datalog. I know this isn't the most accurate. What are others seeing? I have stock tires and hit rev limiter in first. I think I could do better, but don't want to destroy my tires.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
I finally got the traction control working properly. Using the time scale from a datalog I got a 0-60 of 4.74 seconds. I had to use reduced power 1st and 2nd with improved throttle response. 6 MPH and 6% setting. I went by when I hit 60 mph rear wheels from datalog. I know this isn't the most accurate. What are others seeing? I have stock tires and hit rev limiter in first. I think I could do better, but don't want to destroy my tires.
That is awesome decent for a FWD.
My car is AWD + Dual Clutch and when I did the 0-60mph test did similar numbers.

Now I have more power and a very aggressive launch control. No idea how much might be clocking currently.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
? For anyone that goes Auto X if you have hondata TC enabled on your map. Do you run in sport or R? Figure most would be in R. Do you turn off VSA when you autocross? Or leave it on n u notice faster times since the hondata TC is enabled? I haven't had the chance to go Auto X since I bought the car.
Hondata traction control still works with VSA fully disabled. To turn the hondata TC off you put cruise control in standby.

I haven't done any autoX but i regularly go drive the awesome back roads by me every chance I can. I almost always turn vsa completely off in +R. Even with pretty loose settings of 8% slip and 11mph minimum activation speed, if VSA is on, it will still kick in and cut throttle and make a pull sloppy and jarring.

In my data logs you can see with VSA off and hondata TC on it will retard ignition and let the rear wheels catch up. In the driver's seat it feels very smooth, though I can tell when it engages as the tachometer will float around the same spot briefly. None of that throttle close boost cut VSA crap where your head tilts forward and then pushes back.

If the road surface is nice and hot and I've put a lot of heat in the tires it's not as intrusive

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hondata traction control still works with VSA fully disabled. To turn the hondata TC off you put cruise control in standby.

I haven't done any autoX but i regularly go drive the awesome back roads by me every chance I can. I almost always turn vsa completely off in +R. Even with pretty loose settings of 8% slip and 11mph minimum activation speed, if VSA is on, it will still kick in and cut throttle and make a pull sloppy and jarring.

In my data logs you can see with VSA off and hondata TC on it will retard ignition and let the rear wheels catch up. In the driver's seat it feels very smooth, though I can tell when it engages as the tachometer will float around the same spot briefly. None of that throttle close boost cut VSA crap where your head tilts forward and then pushes back.

If the road surface is nice and hot and I've put a lot of heat in the tires it's not as intrusive
Can you discuss the differences in turning VSA off between short holding the button, long holding the button, and the pedal dance?

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Can you discuss the differences in turning VSA off between short holding the button, long holding the button, and the pedal dance?
I didn't write this up, but it's a really good explanation

1. Fully enabled. On by default. VSA, TCS, and corner assist enabled. Normal driving.

2. Partially disabled. Performed by holding VSA button for two seconds in any mode. Resets by pressing again. VSA and TCS partially enabled, corner assist still enabled. Generally used for snow.

3. 'Fully' disabled. Performed by holding VSA button for ten seconds, only in R mode. Resets by pressing again or moving to a different mode. VSA and TCS fully disabled, but corner assist still enabled. Generally used for tracking. Generally assumed to be the lowest level of stability assist.

4. Diagnostic. Performed via pedal dance. Some say it doesnt reset to normal by pressing VSA but in my experience it does. VSA, TCS and corner assist all disabled and chassis safety mode will not be tripped by crazy chassis sensor data (i.e. dynoing). Everything that actively applies or changes forces to the car (other than the powertrain, your own braking, your own steering, and the parking brake) is now disabled and won't try learning or reading sensors. Car forced into sport mode. Only should be used for dynoing since it disables corner assist and R mode. This is also effectively the level you end up in during chassis safety mode, but you can't get out of it at that point. Actually the lowest level of stability assist - stability assist components are literally offline now.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Perfect! Thanks man! So Hondata TC overrides the stock TC in all of those modes that utilize TC and is turned off when CC is on standby? Sounds like Hondata TC + fully disabled long-hold is the way to go for any track or even aggressive driving. Heard the long hold saves rear brake pads too from less brake vectoring.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Perfect! Thanks man! So Hondata TC overrides the stock TC in all of those modes that utilize TC and is turned off when CC is on standby? Sounds like Hondata TC + fully disabled long-hold is the way to go for any track or even aggressive driving. Heard the long hold saves rear brake pads too from less brake vectoring.
I don't think brake vectoring changes much, though I could be wrong.

The hondata TC doesn't over ride the stock TC it works in tandem.

When it's completely dry I turn vsa fully off, though it the rain, which I just drove home from work in, it's much better to leave it on. I was messing around, with VSA fully off in the rain the car is pretty much worthless. I would be driving around 30mph or so and floor it and the front wheels would spin up all the way to red line (83mph) in a span of less than 2 seconds. I would have to let off beforehand just so I don't bounce off red line.

Rain silliness-Full VSA disable

Rain-VSA TC on

With vsa on I could row through 2nd and 3rd infinitely quicker.

But when it's dry it's no contest, full vsa disable works better from my perspective. It's just harder on your tires.

And yes, if you got the cruise button on your steering wheel, where it comes up on the dashboard in grey, hondata TC is disabled

Last edited:

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think brake vectoring changes much, though I could be wrong.

The hondata TC doesn't over ride the stock TC it works in tandem.

When it's completely dry I turn vsa fully off, though it the rain, which I just drove home from work in, it's much better to leave it on. I was messing around, with VSA fully off in the rain the car is pretty much worthless. I would be driving around 30mph or so and floor it and the front wheels would spin up all the way to red line (83mph) in a span of less than 2 seconds. I would have to let off beforehand just so I don't bounce off red line.

With vsa on I could row through 2nd and 3rd infinitely quicker.

But when it's dry it's no contest, full vsa disable works better from my perspective. It's just harder on your tires.

And yes, if you got the cruise button on your steering wheel, where it comes up on the dashboard in grey, hondata TC is disabled
Does it mean.. to have hondata TC to function... honda cruise button should not be active.. on dash shouldnt show gray or green cruise light!?

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Does it mean.. to have hondata TC to function... honda cruise button should not be active.. on dash shouldnt show gray or green cruise light!?
Yes, that is correct. To have Hondata TC enabled, do not press the cruise control button to where the grey light turns on. This means that cruise control is on standby. Green is when it is actually activated. Grey or green light = no Hondata TC.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Hey guys, I noticed nobody has posted any 0-60 numbers with the Hondata FlashPro Traction Control.
So I decided to do my own little test Using the Draggy Module.

Obviously human error can't be factored out considering its a manual transmission.
Also the Screenshots are attached below.

Let me know your thoughts..

Driving Conditions

Crappy but level pitted back road with some loose rocks and sand.

Outside temperature: 74 degrees Fahrenheit.

Elevation: 1190 ft.

Flashpro Slip Percentage: 6%

Basemap 91 Octane map for intercooler and DP w/ Full Power 1st & 2nd Gear

1st Run

Hondata Traction Control enabled and OEM Traction Control enabled .

0-60 - 6.17 seconds

2nd Run

OEM traction control fully disabled and Hondata Traction enabled.

0-60 - 5.84 seconds

3rd Run

All traction control disabled.

0-60 - 5.57 seconds

I also ran this test in reverse order and got nearly the same results

Conclusion

For straight line pulls, traction control seems to hinder performance.

Next I want to test it on a proper Prepped surface.

I'm also going to adjust the Slip Percentage of the Hondata Traction control.

Mods:

Flashpro Basemap w/full power 1st and 2nd gear and TC

HKS Intercooler
Invidia Catted downpipe

AFE Takeda Intake

AWE Tuning Exhaust

Swift Spec-R Lowering Springs

Titan 7 TS-5 18x9.5

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 265/35/18

Acuity Stage 2 Shifter

PTP Turbo Blanket

DSC08213.jpg

Screenshot_20200228-161733_dragy.jpg

Screenshot_20200228-161721_dragy.jpg

Screenshot_20200228-161751_dragy.jpg
I mentioned this in another thread several months back stating the traction control is "gimmicky". E-man tested it at the drag strip and said he was slower compared to fully off...

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I mentioned this in another thread several months back stating the traction control is "gimmicky". E-man tested it at the drag strip and said he was slower compared to fully off...
So your finding is, for straight line pull... everything is fastest?

Rob Hoeth

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
So your finding is, for straight line pull... everything is fastest?
My car is faster with HonData TC on when using reduced torque curves for 1st and 2nd. When I have full power it oscillates wildly around target slip. I got 4.74 s 0-60 using back wheel speed from a data log. Not sure of the error with this method, but was about a 0.5s improvement over no TC.

Might be able to get better with some slight tweaking and warmer weather. Could use slightly more torque in 2nd. Only seeing 3% slip. A little less in first might still be needed.

Rob Hoeth

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hondata question: Are the wheel speed sensors accurate or will they have the same error as the speedo? We all can easily calculate our accelerations by looking at rear wheel speeds and elapsed time if this is accurate.