Car & Driver 2019 Best Cars (Civic Si)

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
The Si took some pretty impressive cars to school in that list. Wasnt expecting it to out track cars like the Genesis Coupe, S2000, WRX, Speed3, Lotus Elise, STI, 124 Spider, BRZ performance pack, and MX-5. All those cars there cost significantly more than the Si, and are geared for performance. Not bad for a $24,000 FWD econobox :)
Sponsored

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
The Si took some pretty impressive cars to school in that list. Wasnt expecting it to out track cars like the Genesis Coupe, S2000, WRX, Speed3, Lotus Elise, STI, 124 Spider, BRZ performance pack, and MX-5. All those cars there cost significantly more than the Si, and are geared for performance. Not bad for a $24,000 FWD econobox :)
Ha! I was rereading this post and thinking how it would be fun to pull up with your Si, against the Lotus, an SRT8, WRX, RX8, and at the end of the run have enough time to stop at the finish line to get out of the car and lean on it while waiting for the next fastest to show up. Good stuff.

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
And that's the problem with track times. Don't get me wrong, the Si is a great car, but not better than some of the vehicles that had slower lap times. Do you really want to be taking high speed corners in a Grand Cherokee or a BRZ? Based on these numbers, the answer is Cherokee!

Last edited:

sgtmorph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Hatchback (Boost Blue)
Country flag
Yeah I was surprised to see that!!! :headbang:
Took down a few cars on that list I wouldn't have expected.

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Audi A3 Quattro, 2020 Volkswagen Tiguan
Country flag
Grain of salt -- none of those times are corrected for track conditions. Best probably to compare the Si's times only with times of cars from the same year.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
On the other hand I've been chased through an on ramp by a Cherokee, quite impressive actually.

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
Grain of salt -- none of those times are corrected for track conditions. Best probably to compare the Si's times only with times of cars from the same year.
Maybe but the day the SI was on the track, it was raining a little before which doesn’t help

sjd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si 2019 Honda Fit Sport 2019 Mazda MX-5 30th AE
Country flag
Agreed. Road and Track tested both the Abarth 124 and the MX-5 around a track and the MX-5 was faster. Unfortunately they didn't give exact lap times.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...at-124-abarth-vs-mazda-miata-club-track-test/

It's also well known that the MX-5's suspension is sooooo soft. It just can't keep up stock on track although it did finish 3rd in Motor Trend's best driver's car back in 2015 behind the Cayman GT4 and AMG GT. That wasn't even with the 2019 which has bump of 26 horsepower and was a full 2 seconds faster around Laguna Seca than the 2016.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/mazda/miata/2019/2019-mazda-mx-5-miata-club-first-test-review/

Car & Driver hasn't tested the new one at VIR yet either.

The BRZ also comes with some of the worst tires ever put on a sports car. If you look the BRZ tS which is shod with Michelin Pilot Super Sports it's 0.6 faster than the Si. That's without any additional power but a front lip and wing that would have worked with the tires to make it 5 seconds faster than the normal BRZ.

Here's the updated list showing the BRZ tS faster than the Si.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23319884/lightning-lap-times-historical-data/

Don't get me wrong, I love my Si and can't wait until my 2019 arrives. But I also loved my MX-5 and can't wait until my 2019 arrives (lol) and it and the BRZ are fantastic cars. They just aren't as versatile as the Si.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There's a lot of neat tidbits... how generational improvements cut the time... whether were talking a Corvette or a Civic. A few surprises too. Thinks like that Cobalt SS hanging out over a decade above us shows what might make for some cheap, fun speed on the old, used market. I always though GM turbo Ecotecs were intriguing. I even sat in a Pontiac Solstice redline I'd intended on taking for a test drive. The interior was so awful just sitting in it I thanked the service person who brought the key and was coming back with my license and the dealer tag and told him I couldn't. I'd never buy the car based on the interior and I didn't want to waste his time (probably should have... but I was pretty turned off on the car).

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
The BRZ also comes with some of the worst tires ever put on a sports car. If you look the BRZ tS which is shod with Michelin Pilot Super Sports it's 0.6 faster than the Si. That's without any additional power but a front lip and wing that would have worked with the tires to make it 5 seconds faster than the normal BRZ.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23319884/lightning-lap-times-historical-data/

I will give you that. The BRZ's biggest weakness, outside of it's torque cancer, is it's tires. But to be fair the Si's summer's, while decent, arent anything to call home about either. The BRZ PP offers Michelin Primacy HP tires, WRX sized brakes, better track twicked suspension, and an LSD and still got spanked by the Si, no excuses there. And of course the BRZ tS would out pace the Si on the track as thats what it is specifically built for, thats its entire reason for existing, track use. So I'd hope it would out pace a car who's primary reason is to go cross country to visit grandma reliably, efficiently, and with a little bit of fun while also somehow being capable of spanking an S2000 on a track on your way back from enjoying said grandma's chicken noodle soup.

sjd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si 2019 Honda Fit Sport 2019 Mazda MX-5 30th AE
Country flag
And of course the BRZ tS would out pace the Si on the track as thats what it is specifically built for, thats its entire reason for existing, track use.
It's just a BRZ with a wing and a body kit so I wouldn't say it's that track focused.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag

Don't get me wrong, I love my Si and can't wait until my 2019 arrives. But I also loved my MX-5 and can't wait until my 2019 arrives (lol) and it and the BRZ are fantastic cars. They just aren't as versatile as the Si.
Unfortunately, even with the reduced sidewall flex and better compound, the ts needs wider tires to compete a little better.

Had both these cars been run under the same track conditions, I imagine the Si would have still edged out the BRZ by a good second or so.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Well in that case, American and Kraut cars are high depreciating shitmobiles. One step ahead of garbage Korean autos
I had a part fall off my new Civic, & now need to have the oil dilution TSB done. And that still doesn't make the problem go away. No parts have fallen off my Charger & no oil dilution to be concerned with.
Sponsored