Blurry Backup Camera

mjdecker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si Sedan, '23 Subaru BRZ Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've seen a few other threads on this however most of them are over a year old so I felt posting a new topic rather than resurrecting an older one would be appropriate.

The camera on my 17' Si is having the blurry/focus issues again most likely due to water getting into the lens.
I had the camera replaced by the dealer last year for the same issue however it took a bit of pushing to get them to replace it and confirm it's an issue. My car isn't garage stored so it's always outside in the elements (this shouldn't be an issue). Since I had the first one replaced, I always tried to make an effort on wiping the camera off with a microfiber cloth. This Friday, I'll stop by my dealer to have them look at it again however I think it'll just get replaced with the same thing that will have this issue again within a year or so.

Anyone else experiencing this and have you come across any methods to prevent it? Maybe a plastic shroud similar or something how the lane watch camera has (granted that's integrated in the mirror). Anyone know if Honda redesigned the camera to better protected it from moisture?

For comparison, when the rear camera was brand new it, it was as clear as the side camera. This is the current state of both.
Side Camera:
Honda Civic 10th gen Blurry Backup Camera 17CivSideCam

Rear Camera:
Honda Civic 10th gen Blurry Backup Camera 17CivRearCam

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks like someone smeared Vaseline on the lens. Could also be fogging. Like moisture has gotten inside the camera housing. It’s a camera issue though. Shouldn’t be too big a deal to troubleshoot n

baillieul

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
Living in Canada in Winter, these cameras are a major pain. Road salt constantly covers them. Because designers in say , California think you can reley on the camera, they design cars with poor back up visability. End result, we are driving blind frequently.

Rant over. I would push to get the camera replaced again in your case.

Milo

First Name
Milo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
I've seen a few other threads on this however most of them are over a year old so I felt posting a new topic rather than resurrecting an older one would be appropriate.

The camera on my 17' Si is having the blurry/focus issues again most likely due to water getting into the lens.
I had the camera replaced by the dealer last year for the same issue however it took a bit of pushing to get them to replace it and confirm it's an issue. My car isn't garage stored so it's always outside in the elements (this shouldn't be an issue). Since I had the first one replaced, I always tried to make an effort on wiping the camera off with a microfiber cloth. This Friday, I'll stop by my dealer to have them look at it again however I think it'll just get replaced with the same thing that will have this issue again within a year or so.

Anyone else experiencing this and have you come across any methods to prevent it? Maybe a plastic shroud similar or something how the lane watch camera has (granted that's integrated in the mirror). Anyone know if Honda redesigned the camera to better protected it from moisture?

For comparison, when the rear camera was brand new it, it was as clear as the side camera. This is the current state of both.
Side Camera:
17CivSideCam.jpg

Rear Camera:
17CivRearCam.jpg
Definitely a problem with the lens...looks like moisture. I have a 2019 Touring Coupe and I'm not impressed with the quality of the backup cam.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've replaced it with joying hd camera which looks much much better(though doens't seem to support angels).
Could you just replace the camera or did you had to replace the connection cables as well?

Missbrunettebeauty

First Name
Florence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17'civic hatchback LX, 15' CBR 300R
Country flag
Mine just went. Does anyone know where I can get one for my hatchback. I live in Canada.

Brisco

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Touring
Country flag
Mine just went. Does anyone know where I can get one for my hatchback. I live in Canada.
Dealer wants close to three bones for it, but you can buy them on Amazon for 50 and AliExpress for 25
Sponsored