Blew my 2020 civic 1.5l sport engine…what should I do?

Oosoaddicted0x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda civic
Country flag
Hey y’all…
Sooo it happened… I blew the rod right out the back side of the block. I was running the phearable john Vegas 1.5 race tune for the cvt. There’s a sweet spot at the foot of a bridge where I live that I literally got the most torque and the best performance by far with my little engine that DID! Here’s the low down and the chain of events that led to the end of this engines life. Get ready for a lengthy read but bear with me bc I could use the help…

Not too long after I got my new 2020 civic I had the whole dash light freak out scenario happen and I noticed that I was having to change my oil and filter more frequently (once a month and before the 3500 mile mark.) I figure well it’s a turbo and I broke my car in pretty good. I changed my pcv valve every so often and ended up changing my spark plugs around 50k miles…changed my transmission oil and filter about every 30k…
I did put a lot of miles on the car during the time I had it…roughly 104,000 before it blew up on me. I should mention that I had it straight piped professionally from the cat back. I also took out my air box and just added a cone filter along with silicon piping before the map sensor…

I noticed a slight leak coming from what looked like the top of transmission housing near the…i believe The torque pump…?…anyways I took it to Honda and they said “according to Hondas standards nothing is wrong with it..” whatever. I took it to another mechanic for a suspension issue (which he couldn’t diagnose but I later did myself to find that I ended new end links…) I mentioned the leak and he couldn’t find it until I made him crawl under the vehicle with me and I pointed it out…he proceeded to tell me that it’s nothing and that it was just a leak from the pressure which is normal…excuse me? Sounded like a seal or gasket problem to me…but I stupidly let it go until I could find someone who would back me up on it. Now looking back I’m more than confident that it was a crack in the block somewhere … time went on and relatively no issues according to Honda even though I noticed fuel economy going down…oil having to be changed frequently…pcv valve sludge…
I then got the the phearable 1.5 race tune installed with the K tuner V2 roughly 1 year before the catastrophic BOOM! Everything ran fine… the car never over heated and I never did anything else with the engine except replaced a vacuum hose from the back of the block which had a tear…no big deal.
eventually I started smelling a strong ammonia nose stinging smell from the exhaust only when I had the hatch open and I accelerated… so I checked my coolant…coolant was low so I added it and it went away. It wasn’t until I hit 100,000 miles that I started noticing some more issues…white or grey smoke coming from my exhaust…more misfires…and occasional loss in power…occasionally upon startup it seemed like it wanted to stall and then the white or grey smoke that would go away… my gauges never said my car was over heating and my codes it would throw would be like a fuel pump but wouldnt stay on long and I got a too lean at idle code…according to the autozone obd2 scanner but then again would go away.
I was starting to lose a ridiculous amount of oil by burning it…I’m assuming… like 1-2 liters in less than 100 miles give or take…with no signs of leaking other than that close to nothing leak that I was concerned about awhile
Ago….nothing dripping though.
my oil was never milky…but was dark and sludgy…I did use marvels mystery oil which seemed to clean my injectors bc I was starting to think it was the injectors… my AFR was always perfect before the blow out and the temps were all within normal range.
Then at the very spot where I got my best torque and power ( at the beginning of the incline of this bridge..) I accelerated (not a hard pull) and then BOOM! The rod and piston blew out and now I have about a 6-9” long x 2” wide hole in the back of the engine block…

RIP…. I will attach some photos from my journey…

now I’m trying to decide if I want to put another engine in it and sell it…or sell it without an engine for whoever to do whatever they want to it …what’s my best option in your opinion…I’m open to whatever! I need a truck for work so that’s my primary goal…
Sponsored

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
You ran a race tune without the proper race maf intake?

OP
OP

Oosoaddicted0x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda civic
Country flag
well… I told phearable all of my mods which are slim to nothing important mostly stock and they sent me the tune based off the info I sent them.

Longislandcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 hatchback
Country flag
You probably had some coolant going into the cylinders, and maybe a failing fuel pump? There's a fuel pump recall. Running lean makes the engine go boom boom. You should've been on top of maintenance before reflashing the ecu. If the car is in good condition, drop in another engine.
Sponsored