Anyone can buy a Type R crate engine now with harness and ECU.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I don't understand why the engine and ECU wouldn't be street legal... I know my CTR is street legal, and isn't this the same engine and ECU?
They likely ship it with the HPD ECU that's used in the TC race car. So that would likely not be street legal. They likely would have to go through a whole shebang of other stuff to make it street legal from a legal standpoint. This may involve crippling the ECU as well which would be a bad thing for their target audience... Someone building a race car.
Sponsored

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I believe the crate is 10k? From what I've read on the comments. Need someone with a HPD membership to confirm
10k + drop in for 93 people. Everyone after that is going to pay 6k for the engine then whatever it ends up being customizing the pieces for everything else. Even with the 10k crate + ECU there's fabrication/more pieces involved. You can buy an FK8 compatible intercooler for example, but does an Si fit one?

EDIT: It is still a lot easier with this crate setup, to be fair and not sound so annoyed lol. Any engine swap is going to be work. Honda is making it easier but good luck getting one of these setups from a vendor who has a working relationship with a race teams who will be looking out for it to up their builds.

Last edited:

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
10k + drop in for 93 people. Everyone after that is going to pay 6k for the engine then whatever it ends up being customizing the pieces for everything else. Even with the 10k crate + ECU there's fabrication/more pieces involved. You can buy an FK8 compatible intercooler for example, but does an Si fit one?

EDIT: It is still a lot easier with this crate setup, to be fair and not sound so annoyed lol. Any engine swap is going to be work. Honda is making it easier but good luck getting one of these setups from a vendor who has a working relationship with a race teams who will be looking out for it to up their builds.
USR is 1 of 4 resellers from what they posted on Instagram. Would the crate fit the Si? Yeah. HPD did it themselves. Would I personally get it? No LOL. If I want a CTR, I'd buy one. Don't need to drop the crate and put CTR cosmetics like what post people are doing here LOL (the CTR cosmetics part)

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
USR is 1 of 4 resellers from what they posted on Instagram. Would the crate fit the Si? Yeah. HPD did it themselves. Would I personally get it? No LOL. If I want a CTR, I'd buy one. Don't need to drop the crate and put CTR cosmetics like what post people are doing here LOL (the CTR cosmetics part)
It will fit but anyone doing this is going to have to come up with ways to mount items like the IC in the bay, fueling, etc, it won't be a bolt on affair with the existing hardware like some people seem to be thinking.

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ummm this would be a fun swap for my EG.