hattedchimp

First Name
Ariel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7 Honda Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Country flag
I think I'm having a similar problem. I got my AC fixed the week before christmas last year, and the local shop I took it to said it was a leak coming from the expansion valves. They replaced them and I was getting ice cold air again. Then a couple weeks ago, it just stopped cooling entirely. I thought it might've been the AC compressor clutch relay fuse, so I replaced that, and it stayed the same. The only way to cool is with the outside air (turning off AC circulation) I'm thinking it is the condenser. I haven't had the time to look at it myself, but I know I'm way over warranty so, if need be, I might do the replacement myself with the texas heat starting early this year.
I wanted to update on my situation. I had taken it to the same local mechanic that had replaced the expansion valves, and I got it back within the same day and they said the "compressor wasn't making proper contact". Which I'm not sure what that means but they fixed my AC, and it hasn't gone warm again. My only issue now is that when I'm stopped/parked the air starts to go very warm. I turn off the circulation setting and its starts to cool again but I'm not sure if that's normal or another issue. I haven't had the change to take a look at the refrigerant levels, but I will once I get the time.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Jumping in on this thread ... 2019 Hatchback Sport, 63K miles

Found out my condenser was leaking, the A/C repair shop said it's replacement should be under warranty. Got home, checked and sure enough, Amercian Honda had extended the warranty, 10 years from date of purchase, 2016-2020, regardless of mileage.

Local dealer replaced the condenser and the shaft compression seal (also under warranty). My cost was taking my wife to breakfast.

One thing the service manager stated was that within a year or so, the evaporator might start to leak, and that the repair would not be covered.

Anyone else heard about the evaporator?

RR Hale

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 1994 Acura NSX
Country flag
I also got the both the condenser and the compressor shaft seal replaced under warranty at a Honda dealer recently. It’s a 2016 Civic Touring, at about 40K miles.
At that service, the dealer “offered” to also replace the evaporator for an additional $1,900+; I did NOT accept that offer, however.
So far, the AC is now working OK again.
Anecdotally I was separately told by an independent Honda/Acura repair shop that more than one removed evaporator (for purposes of a $2k replacement!) was tested after removal and found to NOT leak. Further, although Honda has apparently not yet extended the warranty for evaporators officially, that shop expects that they will soon do so, and absorb all of the costs for this AC system failure debacle.
Of course, YMMV, and again, this is apparently not (yet) official Honda policy. 🤔 Good luck!
Best, Bob.

Civicturboed

First Name
Yussuf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch Sport 2019
Country flag
How could you tell your condenser was giving you issues? What were the symptoms? My AC blows cold but it’s constantly squeaking and I’m not sure why. I also have a 2019 Hatch FK7…
Sponsored