2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Door Panel Removal

lemueljedc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Just finished replacing the stock speakers with some Polk Audio DB651's.

EDIT 11/22/16: I tried removing the panels myself and as it turns out, it's actually pretty easy!

I'm not doing a tutorial, but for those who wants to do change their stock speakers or do some mods that requires you to remove the door panel, here are some pics:

*there's only one screw on the entire panel. everything else is just clipped which you can tug a bit to remove.
Sponsored

Last edited:

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What trim do you have because the Sport Touring HB I got includes 12 speakers, I doubt I'll upgrade.

What brand are the speakers Honda used, is the difference worth it. I'm guessing you didn't upgrade the head unit?

OP
OP
lemueljedc

lemueljedc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What trim do you have because the Sport Touring HB I got includes 12 speakers, I doubt I'll upgrade.

What brand are the speakers Honda used, is the difference worth it. I'm guessing you didn't upgrade the head unit?

I opted for the LX trim. there's no branding on the oem speakers. I added some Polk Audio DB651's and it's definitely an upgrade! I can now hear more of the mids and highs, but I'll be able to tweak the sound a little bit more once I replace the head unit. for now these will work. some projects I'm planning in the near future; adding a 5 channel amp and hooking all the speakers and subwoofer to it. Also planning to change the Polk Audio Speakers to Focal PS165 and a 12" JL Audio Microsub sometime next month.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag

The Touring and other trim levels (e.g. EX-L coupe) that come with a subwoofer have speakers made by Foster. The lower trims with no sub have speakers made by Pioneer.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Do you gain much by replacing the speaker without the head unit? Or maybe speakers + amp?

I'm sort of balking at the idea of blowing so much money on a new head unit, since it has all the damn connections (camera, steering wheel) etc.

chubbz05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT, 2010 Honda Odyssey EX
I would also like to know how much sound changed with the speakers and no new head unit. Would love to change the head unit but isn't a priority right now. Speakers are far cheaper and easier

OP
OP
lemueljedc

lemueljedc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you gain much by replacing the speaker without the head unit? Or maybe speakers + amp?

I'm sort of balking at the idea of blowing so much money on a new head unit, since it has all the damn connections (camera, steering wheel) etc.

I would start by adding a subwoofer and an amp as I find the stock speakers adequate for normal listeners. I'm a hardcore audiophile though so I always tend to replace the stock speakers with some budget friendly ones like polk audio DB651's or Some Alpine 610's.

The good thing with adding a sub and and amp first is that you'll be able to decide if that alone is enough for you, as you can always upgrade the speakers. Honestly, There's no way for you to appreciate the overall quality of your car speakers without a sub.

lastly, if you're thinking of getting a sub and an amp, think about the space it'll occupy on your cargo space. I made mine very compact and reliable by adding some 12" Kickers CompRT. it's a shallow type subwoofer that's compact, powerful and overall a great addition to your sound system. Try looking into some JL MicroSubs. some of them already has some amplifiers installed on the enclosure itself.

here's a quick pic of what my set up looks like:

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Door Panel Removal DSC03120.JPG

OP
OP
lemueljedc

lemueljedc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would also like to know how much sound changed with the speakers and no new head unit. Would love to change the head unit but isn't a priority right now. Speakers are far cheaper and easier

if you're an audiophile. you won't be able to tweak the frequencies of your speakers and head unit with the stock lx/sport trims. hell, even the higher trims still sucks. there's only your typical "treble", "mid" and "high" adjustments, but for most people, it's enough as long as they add some sub and an amp.

I'll try to see for now if the stock head unit will grow on me, although I doubt it as I've always change the stock head unit of all the cars I've owned.

Tutran99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 honda civic ex 2017 civic ex-l
Country flag
if you're an audiophile. you won't be able to tweak the frequencies of your speakers and head unit with the stock lx/sport trims. hell, even the higher trims still sucks. there's only your typical "treble", "mid" and "high" adjustments, but for most people, it's enough as long as they add some sub and an amp.

I'll try to see for now if the stock head unit will grow on me, although I doubt it as I've always change the stock head unit of all the cars I've owned.
Lol nice i wonder if you got the stereo pin out from the head unit because i got the ex-l with navi but no sub i want something like yours. nice set up btw

solsticephase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Just finished replacing the stock speakers with some Polk Audio DB651's.

EDIT 11/22/16: I tried removing the panels myself and as it turns out, it's actually pretty easy!

I'm not doing a tutorial, but for those who wants to do change their stock speakers or do some mods that requires you to remove the door panel, here are some pics:

*there's only one screw on the entire panel. everything else is just clipped which you can tug a bit to remove.
How are the Polks compared to the stock speakers? Was the installation hard? Thinking about swapping out the stock speakers as well.

OP
OP
lemueljedc

lemueljedc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How are the Polks compared to the stock speakers? Was the installation hard? Thinking about swapping out the stock speakers as well.
stock speakers are good but they lack some mids and lows. Polk or alpine speakers are definitely a good upgrade. installation was easy in my case since I've done it multiple times with my other cars before. it was just a matter of figuring out where the clips and screws are.

Nillamatic09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Did you have to drill out any holes for your new speaker adapters or shave down the door panel?, I'm thinking of picking up the Polk DB652's and was wondering if it'll fit cleanly.

Dsgstp8d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 335 coupe, '17 hatch sport
Country flag
To the OP: do you notice any rattles in the doors now that you took off the panels or have any fitment issues? Are the clips inside pretty stable to where you can reinstall the panel without them breaking or otherwise not being reusable? Would it be a good idea to get new clips before removing the panel just in case any break just to be prepared? Thanks!

OP
OP
lemueljedc

lemueljedc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did you have to drill out any holes for your new speaker adapters or shave down the door panel?, I'm thinking of picking up the Polk DB652's and was wondering if it'll fit cleanly.
iI think for the db652's , you'll have to drill a hole to specifically fit the speakers.
Sponsored