First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Someone already posted IAT’s after a highway pull with the same intake. Temps were around 120-145 degrees. So I would say yes it heat soaks. You sure sound like the kiddo.
I live in Arizona it gets to 120 outside in the summer, i see no difference driving the car in 120 degrees and driving in 40 degrees. If you do proper install and use your heat shield i don't think it has any heat soak
Sponsored

Metal_Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I live in Arizona it gets to 120 outside in the summer, i see no difference driving the car in 120 degrees and driving in 40 degrees. If you do proper install and use your heat shield i don't think it has any heat soak
Do you monitor IAT's by chance? I don't own this intake and I'm not implying that it 'heat soaks' but I do know there will be a signifigant difference in temps when going from 40 degree weather to 120...no matter what intake you have.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I would agree in theory, though we need more datalogs to be sure. The stock intake feeds air from the same location as the SRIs. And IAT is around 5-8* above ambient, whether in 46* weather or 88* from this past weekend, according to my own logs. All the SRI really needs is the factory deflector to channel air directly from the grill while in motion. The heat shield is more to help minimize soak at idle. Though it won't stop temps from climbing after about 30 seconds.

RallyeeRedAZ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you monitor IAT's by chance? I don't own this intake and I'm not implying that it 'heat soaks' but I do know there will be a signifigant difference in temps when going from 40 degree weather to 120...no matter what intake you have.
I don't monitor anything i just don't see any driving difference in weather changes, i hear people talk about heat soak so much it's annoying because you cant even notice a difference. Some people get to serious about stuff that shouldn't matter at all lol

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Being these are brand new powertrains, I feel the issue is that the Honda community as a whole is still wrapping their heads around the differences between NA and Forced Induction. A 10-15* difference between an SRI/CAI is huge on NA. Not so much on turbo. That is, if the intercooler is doing its job lol.

In other communities, we would see very little difference in BATs between SRIs and CAIs, except immediately following an idle condition. I don't want to assume the same is true here. But I'd be surprised if we saw anything different.

w00t692

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150, 2005 TSX
Country flag
even if the initial IAT is 10-15 higher, it's a turbo vehicle and that air runs through the compressor, gets heated to 150-220 degrees F and cooled back down by the intercooler. Now is it better to start out as cool as possible? yeah it is. But on a turbo setup with an FMIC, it matters way less. That being said, do this mod only for noise, there's no way it's going to gain power. Intakes basically do jack shit on a turbocharged vehicle. Ask Vit.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
This gets tricky because we have two camps testing on opposite ends of the spectrum. On one side we have the tuners/owners testing intakes on flashed ECUs. And several intake manufacturers (sans PRL) testing on the stock tune.

In my experience, intakes add about 3-4% over stock tune. And about 1-2% over a flashed tune. So technically, both sides' claims are probably correct to some degree. That said, there are companies like Injen that are WAY outside the norm and cannot be replicated by anyone else lol.

I know we're beating a dead horse here. But it's important to call out so people don't assume that ALL intake manufacturers are purposely lying lol.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't monitor anything i just don't see any driving difference in weather changes, i hear people talk about heat soak so much it's annoying because you cant even notice a difference. Some people get to serious about stuff that shouldn't matter at all lol
Sorry, if you IATs are in the 120s the car is going to drive much differently than if they are in the 40s. With heat comes changes in timing. The more heat there is the more timing is going to be pulled to protect the car. Its going to be slower with more heat. Its how the ecu on this car works. Putting around town at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle you may not feel it, but try to do a 0-70 pull at both temps and your pull with 120 iats is going to be much slower.

OP
OP
hfpdohc

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
thats why on the freeway there is no sign of heatsoak...the faster you go the better the flow under the hood it is!

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
thats why on the freeway there is no sign of heatsoak...the faster you go the better the flow under the hood it is!
here in texas in my personal experience, once the intake and intercooler were heat soaked it was done. It would never come back below 110-120 degrees even on the freeway.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
here in texas in my personal experience, once the intake and intercooler were heat soaked it was done. It would never come back below 110-120 degrees even on the freeway.
Usually takes about 30 seconds for IATs and 60-90 secs for BATs to normalize once above 25 mph. But if you have datalogs showing the opposite, I'd suggest posting them for the benefit of the community.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Usually takes about 30 seconds for IATs and 60-90 secs for BATs to normalize once above 25 mph. But if you have datalogs showing the opposite, I'd suggest posting them for the benefit of the community.
Ill get you some when its 100 degrees in Texas again. It wont be hard. Ive posted a Pic of my IATs after driving around for 10 minutes. Why would I need to lie about this?

Honda Civic 10th gen Af Dynamic Intake review...... IATS SUCK

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I think in order to get a better understanding of what's happening, we'd want to see datalogs showing MPH vs. IATs/BATs. At face value, those readings would be consistent with an FI platform at a stop, after a short amount of time at idle.

I'll plan to create another thread where we can continue this discussion.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think in order to get a better understanding of what's happening, we'd want to see datalogs showing MPH vs. IATs/BATs. At face value, those readings would be consistent with an FI platform at a stop, after a short amount of time at idle.

I'll plan to create another thread where we can continue this discussion.
Ok, what IATs are you expecting to see then? The air temp outside was over 100 degrees, the sri is sucking in even hotter air from under the hood. Its a known fact that the stock IC heat soaks easily in hot temps or heavy use.
Sponsored