tint & driving at night question

Civic16OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Ex-L & 1966 ford mustang coup
I will be driving for uber once i get my civic; its on order. I want to tint my windows and I wanted your feedback on which to get. I will be driving throughout the day and night. I'm not accustomed to tinted windows so I was wondering which you would recommend especially considering that I will be driving at night a lot.
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Do you have general good vision, even at night?
Are you 95 years old?
Have you every driven into something stationary?
Are you going to drive murderers to their shack in the mountains?
Do you live in Botswana where there are no streetlights?

My point is, my eyes are different than yours, as are other people. Best thing for you to do is find an actual car with a known % tint, and make your judgement off of that.

I had 5% on my old car, and driving at night was generally fine unless there were no streetlights. At which point it was driving at 0.6mph, and praying. Also my gf hated it.

I'm at 18% now, and it's the best balance, FOR ME.

OP
OP

Civic16OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you 95 years old?

My point is, my eyes are different than yours, as are other people. Best thing for you to do is find an actual car with a known % tint, and make your judgement off of that.

I had 5% on my old car, and driving at night was generally fine unless there were no streetlights. At which point it was driving at 0.6mph, and praying. Also my gf hated it.

fair questions and point lol. my eyes are good. The only thing I would say about myself is that I only wear sunglasses when its sunny out, cloudy and I usually wont bother with them because I value visibility.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
fair questions and point lol. my eyes are good. The only thing I would say about myself is that I only wear sunglasses when its sunny out, cloudy and I usually wont bother with them because I value visibility.
I'd recommend ~18%. Anything lighter and you'll be able to see in. Anything darker and you might run over your customer's mailbox.

OP
OP

Civic16OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tint is actually horrible if you do alot of night driving. Cuts your visibility by atleast half, if not more. Just depends on how much night driving you do, and how much you can tolerate it. I'm still debating on removing mine. The whole "tint keeps car cooler" argument doesn't hold water with me. I've had cars both ways, I couldn't tell the slightest difference. TETO :dunno:
yeah thats my concern, granted I will probably be driving mostly in the city and on the highway.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've got 20%, its fine at night if you're in a well-lit area. Went for a pleasure drive Saturday night into Bumfuck, PA using backroads, lots of areas with total darkness and not a single house in sight. Unexpectedly curvy too. Mildly regretted getting 20% that night, but 99% of the time, its fine.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
I'm not accustomed to tinted windows so I was wondering which you would recommend especially considering that I will be driving at night a lot.
A number of factors could go in your decision of what tint % to get - I had the same concerns. I went with 50% 3M Color Stable tint all-around & it's perfectly fine at night. During the day, it almost looks like factory tint, just a touch darker. We've noticed an improvement with the car's interior temp after it's been parked in the sun during the day. Tint laws in your state are more lenient compared to CA (OH: 50% front windows allowed, any % on back windows). I would discuss with the tint place you'll be taking your car to & see what they recommend based on your concerns.

OP
OP

Civic16OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A number of factors could go in your decision of what tint % to get - I had the same concerns. I went with 50% 3M Color Stable tint all-around & it's perfectly fine at night. During the day, it almost looks like factory tint, just a touch darker. We've noticed an improvement with the car's interior temp after it's been parked in the sun during the day. Tint laws in your state are more lenient compared to CA (OH: 50% front windows allowed, any % on back windows). I would discuss with the tint place you'll be taking your car to & see what they recommend based on your concerns.
Thanks for the advise, I tired to talk to 2 tint places and they both said the same thing "preference".
in ohio, they are pretty lenient about tint. they will not pull you over for tint alone. people drive around with 5% tint all around and never get pulled over.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Gotta think about what sort of tint to get first. Do you want tint for privacy or tint for heat rejection?

I went with heat rejection and got 40% solar gard ceramic and I am extremely happy with the money I spent. I also have no issues in the dark due to tint. I have more issues with the headlights not shining far ahead enough or not bright enough.

Now I'm guessing you are more for privacy?

Each brand is a little bit different but for tinting for privacy, anything with 30% and lower will start to face some difficulty during night driving. Now this also really depends on your night vision. You can have good day time vision but your night time vision can be bad. Also, depending on how your health is your nighttime vision can quickly deteriorate in the course of 3-5 years. * That also being said not everyone is the same *

Check the shops, usually they had some sort of display model to see the tints and dim the lights and see if that is something you could deal with.

kcabbit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Civic LX | 2016 Civic Coupe Touring
Country flag
I have 20% tints all around my vehicle and I sometimes find it very difficult at night to see road markings when there are no other cars around or areas with very dim street lights out. Everything is still reasonably visible for me but I have to pay extra careful attention with the surroundings - it can get tiresome sometimes. But in the day time, I've had no visibility issues.. and they look awesome.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Si
I had 20% before I got pulled over and had to get my tints removed... but parking at night was hard cause it made it almost impossible to see the lines when its not bright out

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I didn't tint my civic windows, after 2 tinted cars i had before. During the day I love being able to see what is outside with the actual colors, and I feel much more comfortable and safe at night. I usually drive early in the morning and at evening, and the car is always parked in the garage, so i don't worry too much about the sun. Here we have 6 months of hot summer and 99.9% of the cars have tinted windows, windshield included,so the salesman was very upset when i declined the tint option he tried hard to push me to get for 800$!!!!!!!!!

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
20% is about the darkest you'll want to go i.m.o. I have 20% on back and 35% on front on my WRX.
Honda Civic 10th gen tint & driving at night question {filename}

I have 35% on all windows and it's perfect for me.
Honda Civic 10th gen tint & driving at night question {filename}

I've had 5% on all windows before. You can't see anything that doesn't emit light at night.

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
... so the salesman was very upset when i declined the tint option he tried hard to push me to get for 800$!!!!!!!!!
800$?!? That's insane!

In response to the OP I have a coupe with 10% backs and 20% fronts, I've never been in a situation where I felt like I couldn't see which couldn't be solved by either rolling the windows down or using the rear view or lane watch. The nice thing about the dark rear window is I don't think I've ever had to flip my rear view to night mode.

SPEEDANDTECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accords
Are you 95 years old?

i have 35% tint on my Accord and it's too light, i want to go 18%-20% next time.
btw, never been to Botswana. They have no streetlights?
Sponsored