ZL1 Addons Type R Rock Guards Are Ready!

TheSnakeJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
i installed mine this week... took about 15 minutes total, no wheel removal necessary. i'm pretty happy with the subtle look.
Sponsored

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
It looks like the front guards mount behind the fender liner. Could they be mounted in front of the liner instead?
Yes, they probably could be mounted in front but the standard finish units are thin enough that I felt they looked better tucked in behind the wheel well.
I think having it tucked in between leaves a very tiny gap at the top. Even on my version (.093" thick), it's noticeable enough for me to think that it may bother the way the liner goes back into place/shape... Putting it on top of the liner at least gives you a bit of a wiggle room for securing it in, also put less stress on the liner.

ShiftyTypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R-23857; 2016 Mazda CX-5
Country flag
I think having it tucked in between leaves a very tiny gap at the top. Even on my version (.093" thick), it's noticeable enough for me to think that it may bother the way the liner goes back into place/shape... Putting it on top of the liner at least gives you a bit of a wiggle room for securing it in, also put less stress on the liner.
I just ordered a set. I'll see if I can mount them in front of the liner.

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Didn't want any chips to happen before the deluxe came out so I got the standard set. They came today. Not the best quality for $60 cut pieces of plastic. Cuts aren't clean and already scuffed up out of the bag.

I have the front tow hook by them for my Z06 and it's great. I expected better quality.

They reached out to me and are sending me a new set

Honda Civic 10th gen ZL1 Addons Type R Rock Guards Are Ready! 20190702_141937

Honda Civic 10th gen ZL1 Addons Type R Rock Guards Are Ready! 20190702_141940

Honda Civic 10th gen ZL1 Addons Type R Rock Guards Are Ready! 20190702_142013

Honda Civic 10th gen ZL1 Addons Type R Rock Guards Are Ready! 20190702_142426

Last edited:

b534202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR WRX Legacy Hellcat LC500 GRC
Country flag
Didn't want any chips to happen before the deluxe came out so I got the standard set. They came today. Not the best quality for $60 cut pieces of plastic. Cuts aren't clean and already scuffed up out of the bag.

I have the front tow hook by them for my Z06 and it's great. I expected better quality.

They reached out to me and are sending me a new set
That's pretty bad, its like how they would look if I cut a sheet with my tin snips.

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
I think the intent of having it sandwiched between the liner and the body is what makes them have to resort to do multiple curves in order to fit just right...
Honda Civic 10th gen ZL1 Addons Type R Rock Guards Are Ready! upload_2019-7-4_0-28-25

@ShiftyTypeR after looking at how close that one drill hole is to the edge of the plastic (to the point that they had to make a small adjustment to the outer cut), I don't know how I would feel about that not breaking (assuming that you were going to install yours on top of the liner instead of sandwiched.
Honda Civic 10th gen ZL1 Addons Type R Rock Guards Are Ready! upload_2019-7-4_0-32-21

Anyways, I have a feeling that they accidentally sent a couple of test batches...

TheSnakeJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Mine looked like that too, I wasn't too impressed with the quality of the cuts.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
So, is that how they all look now or what? I don't want to order a set that isn't quality controlled like that...unless that IS quality controlled...

ShiftyTypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R-23857; 2016 Mazda CX-5
Country flag
My front set looks pretty bad. I've contacted them and I'm waiting to see what they say before I install them.

It does look like they can be installed in front of the liner.

The instructions say to knock out the rivet with a finishing tool. That thing is so tight, I'm not sure how to grab onto it or get under it to pull it out. And I'm not sure what a finishing tool is. What did you guys use to get the rivet out?

TheSnakeJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
My front set looks pretty bad. I've contacted them and I'm waiting to see what they say before I install them.

It does look like they can be installed in front of the liner.

The instructions say to knock out the rivet with a finishing tool. That thing is so tight, I'm not sure how to grab onto it or get under it to pull it out. And I'm not sure what a finishing tool is. What did you guys use to get the rivet out?
i used a very small flat head screwdriver and pried it out. it came out pretty easily this way.

b534202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR WRX Legacy Hellcat LC500 GRC
Country flag
So, is that how they all look now or what? I don't want to order a set that isn't quality controlled like that...unless that IS quality controlled...
I've bought ZL1 rock guards for another car before, there are 4 fasteners on the wheel well on that car, and the rock guard itself has 2 holes. I had to drill 2 extra holes myself.

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
Deluxe version is available for preorder with release date of 8/9/19. Use code PLANET for 5% off.

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
Got shipping confirmation for the deluxe set.