RallyeRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about investing in a washable dry filter to replace the standard filter, but the question is, what is the best way to do it in a way that improves performance, but does not condemn reliability or functionality?

I really want a short ram intake, because of its increased protection from hydrolock. However, I'm worried about what effects high intake temps will have on the stock cooling system.

The only other two options are to do a drop in air filter on the stock CAI, which might not even increase performance, or switch to an aftermarket CAI and risk hydrolock for increased performance, and no effect to the cooling system.

Is there a way to safely increase the performance with an intake, without compromising its reliability or functionality? What do you guys think?
Sponsored

ferdinand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2019 BMW X2 M35i
Country flag
Someone will come out with a sealed box (aside from air inlet) with a short ram soon...That has always been my preference.

jmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2016 RAM QC 4x4, 2016 Dart Rallye
Country flag
Instead of a CAI I modded the existing air box below are the before and after pics. The internal restrictive intake tunnel was opened up then a 2.5" hole was drilled in the fender side of the airbox.
The fender side of the airbox is cool to the touch along with the ECU next to it even after long drives plus this is the side where air is drawn into the airbox.

Stock

Honda Civic 10th gen Your Thoughts on the Intake Airbox-0

Modded
Honda Civic 10th gen Your Thoughts on the Intake Airbox-1
Honda Civic 10th gen Your Thoughts on the Intake Airbox-2

Last edited:

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
Instead of a CAI I modded the existing air box below are the before and after pics. The internal restrictive intake tunnel was opened up then a 2.5" hole was drilled in the fender side of the airbox.
The fender side of the airbox is cool to the touch along with the ECU next to it even after long drives plus this is the side where air is drawn into the airbox.

Stock

Modded
Do you feel a huge difference with that mod?

jmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2016 RAM QC 4x4, 2016 Dart Rallye
Country flag
It won't be huge but it has more growl than before but not obnoxious and dropped maybe .1 sec in the 0-60 runs.
I do know that it's getting 100% more air into the box now just need a K&N filter to complete it.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Stock

Modded

Very nice setup! No doubt it should be more effective than the un-modified stock setup. Nice job!

tcaudo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex-t
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about investing in a washable dry filter to replace the standard filter, but the question is, what is the best way to do it in a way that improves performance, but does not condemn reliability or functionality?

I really want a short ram intake, because of its increased protection from hydrolock. However, I'm worried about what effects high intake temps will have on the stock cooling system.

The only other two options are to do a drop in air filter on the stock CAI, which might not even increase performance, or switch to an aftermarket CAI and risk hydrolock for increased performance, and no effect to the cooling system.

Is there a way to safely increase the performance with an intake, without compromising its reliability or functionality? What do you guys think?
You worry too much buddy. Ive ran intakes on so many cars without ever a problem. Its not some major modification. Didnt you buy that catback? An intake is a simple bolt on just like that catback you got. I would leave the stock airbox the hell alone. You really arent gaining much doing that. Whats .1 sec 0-60 nobody could tell the difference. Just buy that injen intake. Ive had it installed for a few weeks. The car runs much stronger with it. Modding the stock airbox and throwing in a kn filter is a waste in my opinion. Run a real intake

Last edited:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Without knowing Honda's tuning approach, and lack of sufficient datalogging, I won't touch an aftermarket intake for now.

Although I have traditionally trusted Honda to accommodate large fluctuations, DI/FI brings a whole new level of complexity. On the MS3, for example, an intake alone can lead to a lean condition and subsequent knock. I want more data before making the leap.

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T, 2000 Honda Insight
Vehicle Showcase
Without knowing Honda's tuning approach, and lack of sufficient datalogging, I won't touch an aftermarket intake for now.

Although I have traditionally trusted Honda to accommodate large fluctuations, DI/FI brings a whole new level of complexity. On the MS3, for example, an intake alone can lead to a lean condition and subsequent knock. I want more data before making the leap.
Didn't injen post AFR results when they did the testing for the HP gains on the intake?

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Balto

Furfag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T, 2000 Honda Insight
Vehicle Showcase
Well there you go, no lean issues that I can see.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The results are encouraging but represent a single dyno run in a controlled environment. I'm not suggesting the readout is misleading but I've asked the OP for KR, Fuel Trims and HPFP results (among other readings). Hoping Injen or a fellow member will provide further insight.

On a similar note, the initial results from adding an intake on the 2nd Gen MS3 were also favorable. But under extended conditions we started seeing hiccups in fuel pressure. And the issue was only uncovered after repeated datalogging in more extreme environments (i.e. track). On Injen specifically, the intake piping is 1/4" larger and is believed to have caused a few isolated mismatches in MAF readings.

I'm all for being an early adopter. Just not a fan of flying blind, so to speak.

Last edited:

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On Injen specifically, the intake piping is 1/4" larger and is believed to have caused a few isolated mismatches in MAF readings.
This is interesting! Are we talking about the intake piping where the maf sensor is actually sitting in or the intake piping connected to it? I'd be surprised if they didn't use exactly the same size internal diameter of the maf sensor housing as stock and just sell it like that. At least warn people that their maf mapping would have to be altered to work with the wider diameter. Is this the case?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
It was either due to air turbulence due to the absence of an air straightener or mismatched MAF diameter.

David Hughes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
You worry too much buddy. Ive ran intakes on so many cars without ever a problem. Its not some major modification. Didnt you buy that catback? An intake is a simple bolt on just like that catback you got. I would leave the stock airbox the hell alone. You really arent gaining much doing that. Whats .1 sec 0-60 nobody could tell the difference. Just buy that injen intake. Ive had it installed for a few weeks. The car runs much stronger with it. Modding the stock airbox and throwing in a kn filter is a waste in my opinion. Run a real intake
I just had my Injen short ram installed today and I am very happy.
Sponsored

Reactions: Myx