First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To each their own but I refuse to use anything made by Fram. Very cheaply made and poor design.
I said the same thing until I read the breakdown reviews on BITOG. These defy the label on the can by all accounts.
Sponsored

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Can you link, please? That's a good buy if they're still on sale .

I buy whatever is the higher end Fram that, despite the name, got very good reviews on BITOG. I had been buying Purolator Pure Ones back when they were top dog bit they've been playing middle fiddle for a few years. J35 Odyssey, L15 Civic and at least my old 9th gen K24 Civic all take the same filters. I can't remember if the RSXs were the same but I wouldn't doubt it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000C33MI2
The Fram Ultra is an excellent filter. This is the only filter I buy. I run them for 2 oil changes as I change oil twice a year. You can usually find them for 12 cdn on sale. They also have a 20000 mile rating.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Fram Ultra is an excellent filter. This is the only filter I buy. I run them for 2 oil changes as I change oil twice a year. You can usually find them for 12 cdn on sale. They also have a 20000 mile rating.
Yep... I'm right at $8 a-piece USD for them. I was a pretty anti-Fram person. Their goo injected high mileage filters are a bit troubling to me.

While the internals may not have changed much on the PureOnes, they definitely have made then a mid-tier selection with another higher mileage one taking it's abrasive outer coating and costing even more. This particular Fram was getting a lot of positive attention on BITOG and, given the ~15000 miles info between filter changes, I figure I'd try them out. I've probably used 1/2 dozen of them now and.. well... they're a filter. I'd honestly probably use a cheaper filter, like a carquest red, which I thought was the bottom end Wix... but swapping every other change on my Honda's and the relative long drain cycles (7500.. sometimes more if doing a lot of interested in driving) has made me stick to the mid-upper tier stuff. That, and I do think running aftermarket filters may let a little more by that needs to get captured quickly... though I bet most anything that makes it in goes out the exhaust and not into the oil.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve been using the Mobil 1 filter and change it every other time but I change the oil every 5k. I used to use the Fram extended one at Walmart for years, which I think is about the same price, but went to Mobil cause it just feels better mentally. I think Honda calls for the oe filter to be changed every other time. Is that true or did I dream it?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve been using the Mobil 1 filter and change it every other time but I change the oil every 5k. I used to use the Fram extended one at Walmart for years, which I think is about the same price, but went to Mobil cause it just feels better mentally. I think Honda calls for the oe filter to be changed every other time. Is that true or did I dream it?
That's a throbbing affirmative. Filters are every other change and they'd be using their OE filters if you took it to the dealer. That's sort of what drove me away from using the more budget filters because I knew, given my amount of driving, they'd potentially be on the car well in excess of a year. Short commutes with enough time to bring the engine up to temperature but only doing ~10k miles/year kind of puts me in that perfect storm of having a car that seems to not have any issues with fuel dilution but can go a long time on an oil change. I'm around 12k miles now at 1.5 years with 40% life left. Only had one oil change. But... the car gets started and run about daily... so the filter gets exposed to the transients of no pressure to pressure... the little spring probably gets cycled... all that randomness. I figure running a good filter is probably smart. It also makes my wallet slightly lighter than the cheapest of filters would... making the car that much quicker.

I'd likely buy Mobil 1's if I could get them at the same price or less. They are more of a premium brand and Fram's definitely make some junkier stuff. From what I saw on BITOG, the only Frams worth getting are the cheapest one as it compares with the other cheap stuff ok and the Ultra Synthetic, because it was up there.

The PureOnes seemed top dog years back, but when the Purolator "Boss" filters came out, they changed at least the exterior of the filters and changed the packaging. They said the "Bosses" were a 15000 mile filter with the PureOnes being 10000... and I've definitely exceed that with the every-other-oil-change routine. That and they dropped the non-slip exterior. Sucks... I liked them and used them for years. I could get the regular Purolators for around $2.50-3.50 and the Pureones for about $5-6. If Purolator says I can only run those filters for 10,000… screw 'em. I'm not spending over $10 for a Boss filter. The Frams claim the same 99% 20 micron of the Pureones… cost the same, say they're good for 20,000 miles and have the non-slip coating on the outside they used to have.

OP
OP
saiko21

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
I know Fram ultra synthetic are comparable to mobil1 filters. I am sticking with Mobil 1 from the days of my toyota corolla

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
Can you link, please? That's a good buy if they're still on sale .

I buy whatever is the higher end Fram that, despite the name, got very good reviews on BITOG. I had been buying Purolator Pure Ones back when they were top dog bit they've been playing middle fiddle for a few years. J35 Odyssey, L15 Civic and at least my old 9th gen K24 Civic all take the same filters. I can't remember if the RSXs were the same but I wouldn't doubt it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000C33MI2
The spindle on the block will accept either Honda one filter. So if it fits for an odyssey,it’ll fit an old crx

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just like being able to buy one filter and it working for as many vehicles as possible. I was bummed when they went with a different cabin filter that both my 9th gen Civic and Odyssey took for gen 10.

Last edited:

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I don’t have an Si but I also use the Honda oem A01 filter. Found them online. And I also use the Honda ultimate full synthetic oil

MONK13

First Name
MIKE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CIVIC Si
Country flag
Between Fram filters, pure ones and Mobil 1 filters for a 1yr 10k filter change, what cost difference are we talking? Using non on sale cost (bulk packs ok).

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am using the K&N gold performance filter. I may change it up. Still a good filter

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Between Fram filters, pure ones and Mobil 1 filters for a 1yr 10k filter change, what cost difference are we talking? Using non on sale cost (bulk packs ok).
Amazon prices.... Mobil 1 $15.99. Fram Ultra Synthetics $9.42. I get 15% more with a subscribe and save. PureOnes are about the same but aren't comparable. The Purolator bosses are. Amazon puts those at $25 but I bet there more like $15 out in town. Sometimes Amazon prices are dumb.

MONK13

First Name
MIKE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CIVIC Si
Country flag
Amazon prices.... Mobil 1 $15.99. Fram Ultra Synthetics $9.42. I get 15% more with a subscribe and save. PureOnes are about the same but aren't comparable. The Purolator bosses are. Amazon puts those at $25 but I bet there more like $15 out in town. Sometimes Amazon prices are dumb.
So we are talking about $5 difference on every filter, loosely. I use perulator pure one on my 97 tacoma for last 10years, they do the job. use Mobil 1 110A on wifes 07 Honda CRV, again does the job but for much longer period than Tacoma. appreciate the info

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So we are talking about $5 difference on every filter, loosely. I use perulator pure one on my 97 tacoma for last 10years, they do the job. use Mobil 1 110A on wifes 07 Honda CRV, again does the job but for much longer period than Tacoma. appreciate the info
I was a Purolator only guy for years and used the PureOnes on anything I care about. It wasn't until they came out with the Bosses and made it out like the PureOnes weren't a top tier filter but middle of the road that I went away from them. They're still good filters. There's a $2 off Amazon coupon for them right now that's makes them $5-6.

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone look into that $35 HKS filter...has that magnet feature.
Sponsored