Xgen alliance blown 27won turbo?

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
An hour or so ago they posted a video driving around with a high pitched whine sound while spooling the turbo. The title of the YouTube video simply said I blew my turbo. The preview image had a close up of the exhaust side showing a crack from the exhaust side of the turbine spreading towards the EWG. I commented the title was misleading clickbait because it should have specified it was not the stock turbo. He mentioned in the video that 27won was very cool about it and was shipping him a replacement turbo and new fittings. Anyone else seen that?

17won turbo blown https://imgur.com/gallery/rTcpYbV
Sponsored

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wanna see the data logs more than anything else.

PNW_FC3

First Name
Rae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
My guess is probably excessive use of the Hondata Rolling Anti-Lag feature as the utilization of this places tremendous stress on the hot side of a turbo. But in the end, one can only speculate.

On another note, it seems they took this video down as I seem to not be able to locate it.

Barett@27WON

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Barett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan, 2009 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
Let me answer some of your question here:
Chris notified us of the issue he was experiencing, we went through some diagnostic troubleshooting with Chris over the phone then proceeded to have him remove the turbo inlet pipe and the downpipe for further inspection. With that the fractured turbine wheel was found and we opted to get the turbo back for a full inspection so we could better understand that potential cause of failure. As part of the inspection we also reviewed the ECU calibration that was on the vehicle.

The turbine housing and wheel shows signs of excessive heat seen with discoloration of the housing and the white "coating" within the housing and on the turbine wheel.
The ECU calibration had a target AFR of ~12.8 for Emix. The use of Anti-lag cannot be confirmed.
The findings from the turbo inspection and the findings in the ECU calibration correlate with the probable cause of failure due to excessive heat.

After inspection was complete we advised Chris on our concerns about the lean target AFR for WOT and the issues the lean AFR and anti-lag can have on a turbocharged vehicle. With that we replaced the turbocharger under warranty because ultimately we want our customers to be taken care of.

Despite the cause of failure, this gives us a chance to learn and make improvements in the future where possible.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Chris notified us of the issue he was experiencing, we went through some diagnostic troubleshooting with Chris over the phone then proceeded to have him remove the turbo inlet pipe and the downpipe for further inspection. With that the fractured turbine wheel was found and we opted to get the turbo back for a full inspection so we could better understand that potential cause of failure. As part of the inspection we also reviewed the ECU calibration that was on the vehicle.

The turbine housing and wheel shows signs of excessive heat seen with discoloration of the housing and the white "coating" within the housing and on the turbine wheel.
The ECU calibration had a target AFR of ~12.8 for Emix. The use of Anti-lag cannot be confirmed.
The findings from the turbo inspection and the findings in the ECU calibration correlate with the probable cause of failure due to excessive heat.

After inspection was complete we advised Chris on our concerns about the lean target AFR for WOT and the issues the lean AFR and anti-lag can have on a turbocharged vehicle. With that we replaced the turbocharger under warranty because ultimately we want our customers to be taken care of.

Despite the cause of failure, this gives us a chance to learn and make improvements in the future where possible.
That's awesome. Thanks for the response!

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si with 306whp
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Always a great experience with 27WON

Scarlet

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Civic LX Sedan - 1998 Civic Hatch - TBD Turbo Something - 2014 Honda Ruckus - 2017 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

With that targeted AFR, I can only assume and guess he was using Hondata? Was the tune custom or OTS?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Gonna be a few more blown turbos since everyone running hondata and full e85 is running 12.8 afr to make it work. Sucks a 27Won turbo was ruined because of bad decisions to run that car that lean at WOT.

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2001 Integra Type R, 2019 RDX A-Spec
Country flag
It should be noted that another W1 has failed in a similar fashion, but at sane 11.5-11.6 AFR target (one of my clients, on KTuner), so I'm not sure about the fueling being the culprit entirely on Chris' failure.

...But he should really not spread incomplete information like that video does.

l15b7allturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
It should be noted that another W1 has failed in a similar fashion, but at sane 11.5-11.6 AFR target (one of my clients, on KTuner), so I'm not sure about the fueling being the culprit entirely on Chris' failure.

He removed it since he got a lot of backlash including from myself which was funny to read

Barett@27WON

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Barett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan, 2009 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag

You are correct @D-RobIMW , we are investigating the cause. We take these situations very seriously and are doing our diligence to understand and solve the issue, whatever it may be.
The customer has also been taken care of and was working with us to better understand the situation.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Thanks for the updated information, I had seen you say one of your customers had a blown turbo but didnt know if it was the stock one Chris kept talking about in the video and on his facebook post or a different one.

D-RobIMW

www.imwtuned.com
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2001 Integra Type R, 2019 RDX A-Spec
Country flag
You are correct @D-RobIMW , we are investigating the cause. We take these situations very seriously and are doing our diligence to understand and solve the issue, whatever it may be.
The customer has also been taken care of and was working with us to better understand the situation.
Certainly. I trust you're examining!

OP
OP

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Early adopters are the real heroes. They find limits so that safe operating ranges can be established.