Would you guys buy a Demo Type R?

NorcalCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R #3855, 2007 Honda Civic Si, 2001 Honda Civic EX (Sold)
Country flag
The dealership next to my house bought 4 CTR demos from an auction. Those demo cars were used by editors to test the car to put their own unbiased reviews. Those four CTRs were all low numbers in CW. Dealer was asking for 5-6K ADM on all of them. I would only buy those cars if they sold under MSRP. All demo cars gets abused but more so from editors pushing the car to test the performance levels. Demo cars might have low miles but those were abused miles and who knows if they even broke-in the car when they got it.
Sponsored

Andjoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R - CW #19431
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's not to say that ALL demo's are garbage. I've known a few dealership GM's that use their cars for personal use, as that's one of the perks of being a GM :) And they've driven them comfortably...
And then I've known other guys, I recall going out one night with a owner of a dealership back in the 90's in a brand new 300zx twin turbo, doing donuts on mainstreet...

I'm sure even my brand new CTR, got bagged on by the lot kit who drove the 1km to fill the tank up.

23Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK8, '06 AP2
Country flag
I would but they would have to come off that price by a lot.

Driveitlikeustoleit

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lada
It's not to say that ALL demo's are garbage. I've known a few dealership GM's that use their cars for personal use, as that's one of the perks of being a GM :) And they've driven them comfortably...
And then I've known other guys, I recall going out one night with a owner of a dealership back in the 90's in a brand new 300zx twin turbo, doing donuts on mainstreet...

I'm sure even my brand new CTR, got bagged on by the lot kit who drove the 1km to fill the tank up.
You screwed up, you should always ask to accompany the person to and from filling the car with fuel.
I've read horror stories where the salesperson has gone on joyrides while fueling up and smashing the car.
I always accompany the fuel person, and vividly remember the last new car I bought, I went with the gent to fill up the car, and had a nice conversation along the way.

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i bought my sport touring as a demo, had 2700 miles on it. Knocked I think like $2000 off or so. They fixed anything that was wrong and threw in a full spare and never told me lol. My answer is yes.

b3arfruit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda CTr, 2017 Honda Civic Si, 2015 Honda Civic Si, 2012 Honda Civic Si, 2011 Honda Civic Si, 2003 Honda Civic EX, 1992 Honda Prelude, oh and a CBR600 and CB1000
Country flag
Must bring price down. I got my 2018 for $35,574. I’ve search car guru and there are many selling for around that price, brand new.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
It really depends. Buying a demo is a crap shoot, like other posters have said. You could get lucky or you could be burned.

Is it always a bad idea to buy a demo? No, absolutely not. It depends on the discount you get for taking the risk (plus the depreciation accrued to date due to the mileage and the passage of time from the date of initial purchase). So, to make up a ridiculous example, if a dealer gives you a $10,000 discount off a pristine demo CR-V with 2,000 miles, that's worth the risk. But make sure you have an independent mechanic take a look, and consider paying $1,000 for 8 yr/120K/$0 deductible HondaCare.

Bonus anecdotal experience: I bought a 9-month old luxo package M3 with 7,000 demo miles a couple of decades ago. They took off $8,000 off of the $40,000 sticker. I owned it for 10 years of daily driving with just regular maintenance. Maybe I just got lucky, but it was absolutely worth it. I would do it again without hesitation but under right circumstances.

If I were the OP, I would try to negotiate down the price way lower than the MSRP (might not be feasible), or if they refuse, simply buy a new one in East Bum Funk USA or wherever and pick it up (or ship it for less than $1,000), or buy a lower mileage used CTR. On this forum, the classified section often offers mint, low-mileage CTR at near or less than MSRP. And you know that older CTR enthusiast owners take care of their vehicles without doing (overly) crazy chit.

Good luck.
Sponsored