First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
hey guys,

Just wanted to know what you think. Would you buy a Civic Type R at sticker if it was used as a Demo?

Let’s say it was at less than 5K miles.

What would be your guys’ pros and cons of doing it?
Sponsored

dn7309

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport
Country flag
hey guys,

Just wanted to know what you think. Would you buy a Civic Type R at sticker if it was used as a Demo?

Let’s say it was at less than 5K miles.

What would be your guys’ pros and cons of doing it?
Depends on the price. Demo is just as bad as used rental car, so you have to think about things like how it was “demoed” and was it broken in correctly... etc. so if they are asking anywhere near new MSRP, no way. But if it sold at a discount like 3-4K maybe.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I would obviously expect the price to be quite a bit lower than a regular CTR so that's defenitely a pro. Cons world be you got have no idea how it was driven so it could have been a rough ~5K miles. I'd say if the price is right though, just go for it because the mileage is so low.

ebw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Acura RDX, 14 BMW 650i, 09 Aston Martin V8V, 73 Ford Maverick, 47 handbuilt racer
Country flag
No. You know how most people testing a performance oriented car will drive. I know how I test-drove it. If this is a car you intend to have for any period of time (as opposed to try to flip for a profit) then no, I would not, especially at sticker price. The dealership has a legitimate business expense deduction for utilizing the car as a demo. Someone may buy it, at sticker even, but it my opinion is that it should not be me (or you).

Tone Loc

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R #18323
Country flag
Hell no. One of my buddies was a Sales Manager at a major German dealership in Canada (being vague on purpose as I don't want to get him in trouble) and many of the "demo cars" on the lot were not only used for test drives, but also by employees. One example, a BMW 550i, was used as a shuttle to carry employees and clients around the dealership lot (it was a very big lot). Basically driving at 5-10 km/h, being started/stopped constantly, hours of idling per day, and of course ripping it at noon to grab lunch for everybody. It was used that way for a month until it was sold. A lot of cars were used in that manner for that purpose. As the customer you'd never know. Especially a performance car like the CTR. Likely has been beat to hell all its life. Proper break in procedure? Fuhhgedddaboutit!

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
Hell no. One of my buddies was a Sales Manager at a major German dealership in Canada (being vague on purpose as I don't want to get him in trouble) and many of the "demo cars" on the lot were not only used for test drives, but also by employees. One example, a BMW 550i, was used as a shuttle to carry employees and clients around the dealership lot (it was a very big lot). Basically driving at 5-10 km/h, being started/stopped constantly, hours of idling per day, and of course ripping it at noon to grab lunch for everybody. It was used that way for a month until it was sold. A lot of cars were used in that manner for that purpose. As the customer you'd never know. Especially a performance car like the CTR. Likely has been beat to hell all its life. Proper break in procedure? Fuhhgedddaboutit!
:agree:

Andjoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R - CW #19431
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Personally I would never buy a demo. I recently saw a local dealership selling a demo, had only ~600km's, and the tires were already scrubbed in pretty good. :-|

neveronline

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current '19 CW CTR #23856 & '18 Accord 2.0T Previous - 2015 WRX, 1999 SI, '04 S2000, '08 Evo X, '10 SI sedan, '11 Fit Sport, '11 WRX, '13 ILX
Country flag

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
It's just another used Type R. Used cars are selling for MSRP or more.

If you want it and don't want to spend a lot of time hunting for one at MSRP, go for it.

18CarEnthusiast18

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
It's just another used Type R. Used cars are selling for MSRP or more.

If you want it and don't want to spend a lot of time hunting for one at MSRP, go for it.
I would add most used cars don't see the abuse a rental or demo see. A demo I would imagine sees more abuse than a rental. As anybody demoing a performance car is doing it to see what the car can do. They don't care so much how it drives normal as they care is this car fast enough to please me. haha

I would pass unless offered at a steal. Even being a CTR I would want 2-3K off. If it was any other normal car say a Mustang GT I would want like 10-12K off as on normal sales they go for 5-8K off sticker depending on how close to new model year coming out. haha

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
No way, absolutely not. It's not "just another used Type R" because typically, a used CTR in October 2018 would have had one owner. Still a crapshoot whether the owner took care of it, and I would never buy a used performance car unless I felt very confident about who I was buying it from. But a demo car has been driven by (at least) dozens of different people, many of whom have likely never driven a CTR before and would be looking to push it when given the opportunity. I wouldn't even consider it.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Something I would be concerned about, having now installed tunerview and watched the coolant temps, etc., is how many times a demo car was run at high load prior to the oil being up to temperature. When it is cold out, the coolant temps, and presumably the oil temps, rise very, very slowly at low engine loads. The engine's coolant system has way more capacity than a normal civic, and takes a long time to get completely up to temperature when driven easy. My experience with most people testing sports cars is that they get in, maybe idle the car for a few minutes while they mess with the infotainment (which does next to nothing to bring the temps up in the R), and then leave the dealership; the first chance they get, they open the thing up. I am not a mechanic or engineer, but my understanding is that high engine load when the engine oil is cold can do serious damage to an engine. For that reason alone, I wouldn't buy a demo Type R.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Absolutely not for many of the reasons stated above.
Sponsored