WOT at 2000 RPM or 3000 RPM?

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey,

Kind of new to Turbo's. Curious (6MT specifically), I read that going WOT at low RPM is not good for the engine, is 2000 RPM to low for this car to be starting a WOT run.

I usually do WOT at 2500/3000k RPM but after doing a few WOT requested by Vit, I noticed I was told to do it starting from 2000. So just curious.

Thanks!
Sponsored

nathanzachary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2004 Integra Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey,

Kind of new to Turbo's. Curious (6MT specifically), I read that going WOT at low RPM is not good for the engine, is 2000 RPM to low for this car to be starting a WOT run.

I usually do WOT at 2500/3000k RPM but after doing a few WOT requested by Vit, I noticed I was told to do it starting from 2000. So just curious.

Thanks!
I wouldn't think that there would be a problem with it, period. I'm working with Vit on a custom tune right now, and he has me doing WOT pulls starting at 2k RPM in second gear.

ddood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 VTI-LX
Country flag
I wouldn't think that there would be a problem with it, period. I'm working with Vit on a custom tune right now, and he has me doing WOT pulls starting at 2k RPM in second gear.
That's interesting. I am running a CVT and on calibration v1.5 (which is fantastic, BTW) from Vit and have always done all my WOT to 55mph from 0 in D using the brake hold. @cmwalton16 what did you used to do for your logs?

cmwalton16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe ABM, 2016 Civic Touring CBP
Country flag
That's interesting. I am running a CVT and on calibration v1.5 (which is fantastic, BTW) from Vit and have always done all my WOT to 55mph from 0 in D using the brake hold. @cmwalton16 what did you used to do for your logs?
WOT to ~55mph. I didn't start at 0mph every time either, just somewhere under 15mph and hammer it. Gave a good mixture of pulls. I was never asked to relog a cal. CVT though

ddood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 VTI-LX
Country flag
WOT to ~55mph. I didn't start at 0mph every time either, just somewhere under 15mph and hammer it. Gave a good mixture of pulls. I was never asked to relog a cal. CVT though
Thanks. Will try it since it's been pouring here (and forecasted to continue all through to next week) and I tried to log the v1.5 calibration with a 0-55mph run but the wheel spin was so bad on the wet surface on launch that I just backed off although I wager I could probably still spin the wheels from 15mph judging from past experience (part of this probably due to the stock tyres).

cmwalton16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe ABM, 2016 Civic Touring CBP
Country flag
Thanks. Will try it since it's been pouring here (and forecasted to continue all through to next week) and I tried to log the v1.5 calibration with a 0-55mph run but the wheel spin was so bad on the wet surface on launch that I just backed off although I wager I could probably still spin the wheels from 15mph judging from past experience (part of this probably due to the stock tyres).
Biggest thing is making sure you are in first gear to begin the pull.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey,

Thanks!
I think the more important thing is to make sure you are in the appropriate gear. You don't want to be cruising in 6th and then decide to go for a WOT pull without shifting down first.

OP
OP

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I think the more important thing is to make sure you are in the appropriate gear. You don't want to be cruising in 6th and then decide to go for a WOT pull without shifting down first.
I only WOT in 2/3/4 or whichever gear brings my rpm to 2500+

RedCrabby

First Name
Hong Yung
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2020 1.5T CVT Sedan TC-P
Country flag
Early WOT will hurt the fuel consumptions.
I have once tried MAP over WOT and it runs into WOT at ~115KPA MAP which is very early ... I don't think it is good for engine that easily WOT as it runs very rich ~9-10 AFR and perhaps creates more carbons + diluting the engine oil even more.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
the biggest issue with WOT at low rpm is the torque will be more likely to kill the rods but you also have to be close to the rod's max torque rating for anything bad to happen. It's also hard on the clutch and will make it slip eventually if you haven't upgraded.

btw, my act street kit has been on for about 30k km and no issues whatsoever with it other than it will occasionally lockout at high rpm but maybe once or twice a month. Still grips like a champ.
Sponsored