jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Just wondering if it is at all worth tuning the civic EX with the naturally aspirated 2.0L and if you could actually get some power gains out of it. I saw that there is a Ktuner available for the NA engine civics as well, but I wasn't really sure if it would do much or not. If anyone knows or has had experience with it please let me know.

James
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You're not going to get the same bang for your buck as the turbo guys but you can still have some fun with it.

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
Uh, yes. It is quite noticeable, and actually quantified in the ktuner 2.0 thread. Improved throttle response (the car is ready to jump at the lightest pedal press), amazing low and high end acceleration, and vtec response is sooner at the top end. It's honestly the best power improvement you could ask for that is emissions legal. I'm still getting used to it, but it makes city driving, and high speed tollway driving much more exciting. In Texas, our tollways are 75-85mph, and makes it a lot more engaging when passing. Initial acceleration went from "meh, I guess" to actually pushing me back into my seat.

Worth $450? Well, nothing else is going to give you the same improvement for the cost, so yeah.

The only problem I have with it is that it encourages further improvement of your wheels, suspension and brakes. The car itself is balanced perfectly around the stock power. I'm really anxious for my rims to come in so I can slap the Z rated tires on them that I already have sitting in my garage, and have plans for improving the latter. Oh, also expect lower gas mileage cuz it makes your foot a little heavier, lol.

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Uh, yes. It is quite noticeable, and actually quantified in the ktuner 2.0 thread. Improved throttle response (the car is ready to jump at the lightest pedal press), amazing low and high end acceleration, and vtec response is sooner at the top end. It's honestly the best power improvement you could ask for that is emissions legal. I'm still getting used to it, but it makes city driving, and high speed tollway driving much more exciting. In Texas, our tollways are 75-85mph, and makes it a lot more engaging when passing. Initial acceleration went from "meh, I guess" to actually pushing me back into my seat.

Worth $450? Well, nothing else is going to give you the same improvement for the cost, so yeah.

The only problem I have with it is that it encourages further improvement of your wheels, suspension and brakes. The car itself is balanced perfectly around the stock power. I'm really anxious for my rims to come in so I can slap the Z rated tires on them that I already have sitting in my garage, and have plans for improving the latter. Oh, also expect lower gas mileage cuz it makes your foot a little heavier, lol.
Good to hear from someone who actually tried it out! Also I couldn't find the thread for NA Ktuning, if you could link me to it that would be great.

Just curious on how it works, does it come with pre installed tune profiles that you just load onto the ECU? Or is it another way? Either way it sounds like a good bang for your buck considering there aren't a lot of performance options for the NA 2.0 engine civic. Might have to get one soon...

Last edited:

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
https://www.civicx.com/threads/civicx-2-0l-tuning-big-gains-confirmed-for-the-second-time.17353/

The way I did it, plugged the provided cable into my laptop, and to tuner, tuner plugged into the car. Installed the ktuner ap from their website. Load the ap. Turn ignition key so that interior lights come on, but engine not started (for push to start, push to start twice without having your foot on the brake). A window will pop up asking to lock your tuner to your ECU, click yes. From the File menu, you'll see an option to apply tune. There should be one basemap tune for 2016+ 2.0. Apply tune. Took about a minute. Once complete, turn car off, start car.

You can do the same thing with your phone, but a little more involved. Plug tuner into car, half start the car like above, pair the tuner to your phone with Bluetooth (the pin is the last 4 or 5 digits on the tuner itself, on the white sticker), download/install ktuner ap, load the ap, buy the $5 ktuner option, close the ap, restart it. Slide the menu out, click ktuner, find basemap, apply.

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
https://www.civicx.com/threads/civicx-2-0l-tuning-big-gains-confirmed-for-the-second-time.17353/

The way I did it, plugged the provided cable into my laptop, and to tuner, tuner plugged into the car. Installed the ktuner ap from their website. Load the ap. Turn ignition key so that interior lights come on, but engine not started (for push to start, push to start twice without having your foot on the brake). A window will pop up asking to lock your tuner to your ECU, click yes. From the File menu, you'll see an option to apply tune. There should be one basemap tune for 2016+ 2.0. Apply tune. Took about a minute. Once complete, turn car off, start car.

You can do the same thing with your phone, but a little more involved. Plug tuner into car, half start the car like above, pair the tuner to your phone with Bluetooth (the pin is the last 4 or 5 digits on the tuner itself, on the white sticker), download/install ktuner ap, load the ap, buy the $5 ktuner option, close the ap, restart it. Slide the menu out, click ktuner, find basemap, apply.
Thanks for the detailed description and the forum link! Sounds easy enough, I thought all the love went only to the 1.5 turbo engines but good to know I was wrong. If I do end up purchasing it, I'll definitely give an update on how it went.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Why would it be emission legal?

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is in Texas, since it's not physically altering the emissions systems (catalytic converter, etc).
Didn't know Texas was allowed to leave a tune on the car and still pass the ODBII check

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Make sure you turn off P0420 in the menu before you upload the tune. It'll keep the CEL from switching on when you install the downpipe.

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Why would it be emission legal?
Make sure you turn off P0420 in the menu before you upload the tune. It'll keep the CEL from switching on when you install the downpipe.
Does the downpipe make the car sound too loud? Just wondering bc it is my daily driver and dont want anything thats crazy loud, but I appriciate a nice growl/tone that being said.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Does the downpipe make the car sound too loud? Just wondering bc it is my daily driver and dont want anything thats crazy loud, but I appriciate a nice growl/tone that being said.
In my experience, it was a little raspy at first, between 2200-2800 rpm' s, but then it gets broken in and mostly goes away. For additional noise reduction, I added a 12" glasspack in front of the resonator and at idle it sounds stock. It only gets noticeable when VTEC engages at 5600 rpm's but I think that's a good thing. :)

However, if you already have a catback/straight pipe and add this, it will set off car alarms.

OP
OP
jred721

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
In my experience, it was a little raspy at first, between 2200-2800 rpm' s, but then it gets broken in and mostly goes away. For additional noise reduction, I added a 12" glasspack in front of the resonator and at idle it sounds stock. It only gets noticeable when VTEC engages at 5600 rpm's but I think that's a good thing. :)

However, if you already have a catback/straight pipe and add this, it will set off car alarms.
Haha doesnt sound bad then. If only there was an axleback or catback made for the 2.0 civic, really want to get rid of that hidden exhaust

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Haha doesnt sound bad then. If only there was an axleback or catback made for the 2.0 civic, really want to get rid of that hidden exhaust
There is the Invidia N1 and Magnaflow 19313, both would be very loud with a downpipe.
Sponsored