Wireless chargers with android auto

Rwilmoth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX
Country flag
I'm wanting to purchase a nice wireless car charger (either a vent mount or a pad that goes in the nook under the radio) for my phone since I'll be using a lot of GPS until I get the hang of navigating the city to my new job. If I were to plug the wireless charging dock to the USB port in the car would the phone work with android auto while charging?
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I'm wanting to purchase a nice wireless car charger (either a vent mount or a pad that goes in the nook under the radio) for my phone since I'll be using a lot of GPS until I get the hang of navigating the city to my new job. If I were to plug the wireless charging dock to the USB port in the car would the phone work with android auto while charging?
I am talking Android Phone here, and AA, No experience with IOS Apple phones.

Simple Answer:

I am almost 100% sure NO ( I have never tried it so cannot be 100% sure)

Detailed Answer with reasoning:

The 2018 & 2019 Civic need a USB connection for AA to work .. they do not support AA wireless (I believe).

A non-Honda Wireless Charge just gets POWER from the USB or 12v socket.
The Honda Wireless charge is hard wired into the cars electrical system, and does NOT use the USB socket or the 12v power socket,
There is no Data connection to the phone via the Charger., even if it is plugged into the USB port.

So, you will need to plug your Phone into the Honda's USB port to get the Data exchange between your phone and the Honda head unit, for AA to work

Since you have to plug the phone in to make the USB connection, when you do, it will charge, so there is little point in having a Wireless Charger.

It could however be used to charge a 2nd phone, (Passenger's phone)

Because of this, I have never understood the need to install the Wireless Charger.

Am I missing something ????

OP
OP

Rwilmoth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX
Country flag
That sounds reasonable to me. I was hoping the wireless charger plugged into the USB port would somehow magically send the android auto signal over to the phone. Guess I'll save that $50 since I'll be plugging it in anyway.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
That sounds reasonable to me. I was hoping the wireless charger plugged into the USB port would somehow magically send the android auto signal over to the phone. Guess I'll save that $50 since I'll be plugging it in anyway.
That would be my advice, at least unless someone can tell you for sure that somehow "Magically" it will work. ;)

If the Honda HU had supported WIreless AA, ( as well as your smartphone) then the Wireless charge would be a valid option.

Ironically for non Honda OEM head Unit that do not natively support Android Auto (ie most if not all of the fast, but cheap China units) there is an APP that can be loaded on them called "HeadUnit Reloaded" that does support both USB and WIreless AA connection, but that is not even an option for the Locked down Honda Units, unless you Honda Hack them.

I have run "HeadUnit Reloaded" on my Maxima with a China HU, and it does work, but opted to go a different route and not use AA is the traditional way, but rather just run everything directly on the capably fast head unit.

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
I wonder why Honda sells a wireless charger but they don't support wireless AA or Carplay?

What's the point of this exactly if you still need to connect a cable? Any phone that you're going to want to charge wirelessly is also a phone that has AA or Carplay.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I wonder why Honda sells a wireless charger but they don't support wireless AA or Carplay?

What's the point of this exactly if you still need to connect a cable? Any phone that you're going to want to charge wirelessly is also a phone that has AA or Carplay.
:rofl: I wonder why Honda do a lot of things.

If you just want to use just Bluetooth, then the Wireless charger will keep your phone charged.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag

To date only 2 or 3 cars have actually shipped with wireless CarPlay. A Ferrari, a BMW, and a few other expensive cars announced.

Wireless Android Auto was only announced the middle of last year and zero cars have it built in, with none announced that I’m aware of, though I don’t follow Android News too closely.

Keep in mind that cars are designed on a 5 year cycle, and then have small interations on that platform for another another 3-5 years. That’s how far back you should be looking for tech to be integrated into a car.

The pace that phones iterate is just a lot faster than cars are until there is some major shift in how cars are made.

You can see it in the phone holding/charging area.
It’s already too small for most phones people own now. In the time between the development of the car and it shipping that changed but it was too late to go back and carve out extra inches in that area smoothly.

So Honda May decide to include something today but you won’t see it for 5 years and then we’ll want whatever it is that is new then

wireless520

First Name
coco
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wireless520.com
Vehicle(s)
civic 2019
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless chargers with android auto how wireless charger works

DO WE REALLY NEED A WIRELESS PHONE CHARGER CAR MOUNT?
It is a problem for some drivers. Actually, Every car should have a safe way to hold a phone. But How to find the best smart wireless phone charger car mount? It is a problem for lots of people. We are always been told that you should not use a mobile phone while driving at all. But in reality, for many drivers, it’s the source for navigation, information, messages, music, and (of course) phone calls. However, if you hold the phone in your hand as you drive—or look down at it in a cupholder or center-console bin—it can also be a major distraction and safety risk. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety says “fatal crash risk is 66 percent higher when using a mobile phone during driving” and that it “was a contributing factor in more than 800 crash deaths on U.S. roads during 2017.” That's terrible! Here we will analysis some of the new cell phone cars mount wireless charger, which combines wireless charging and phone holder 2 in 1.
Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless chargers with android auto dashboard_wireless_charging_car_mount

WHAT're THE ADVANTAGES OF WIRELESS CAR CHARGING MOUNT?
Actually, A good smartphone mount can greatly reduce those risks by holding your phone steady, where you can easily see the screen and access on-screen buttons without blocking your view or forcing you to take your eyes off the road for too long. More Over, we need to charge our phones during the driving to keep the mobiles powered. With the wireless charger car mount automatic clamping at dash level, using it becomes more like operating a car radio, which has little effect on driving performance or crash risk. We’d hedge that a bit—phone use while driving is still a distraction—but clearly, placement matters, and a good mount makes the inevitable phone use less dangerous.

If you want to use your smartphone while driving—to get directions, play music, or take phone calls—A good wireless smartphone car charging mount will hold your phone steady in a convenient place while you drive—without blocking your view of the road, and is much safer than, say, holding a phone in your hand or having to look down at a cupholder or dash bin. Wireless charging mounts, like the one we review from sinregeek in this guide, offer the added convenience of charging Qi-compatible phones while you drive.
Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless chargers with android auto eless-Car-Charger-Automatic-Clamping-15W_1024x1024

WHAT KIND OF WIRELESS CHARGING CAR MOUNT DO YOU NEED?
Depending on your car’s dash design, as well as your personal preferences, you’ll need to decide two things: whether to get a dash/windshield wireless car mount or a car Air vent mount charging mount, and whether to get a tension-grip cradle or a magnetic grip for the phone. Let's have a look each of their advantages and disadvantages, and you can know which cell phone car mount wireless charger will be your choice.
Honda Civic 10th gen Wireless chargers with android auto x.304_540x

Dash/windshield mounts: This type of mount attaches to the windshield or the top of the dash, generally with a suction cup and/or an adhesive pad. This places your phone close to your normal line of sight while you’re driving and doesn’t block your view of, or access to, the dashboard and its controls. Keep in mind that some states have laws about where you’re allowed to place devices on the windshield.