Wiper recommendations

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Anyone from Canada have recommendations for the harsh winters here? I never really put much thought into the wipers on my 8th gen. OEM ones lasted through 100k kms until it got traded in.

The rubber lining on the CivicX sadly seems to have gotten degraded due to exorbitant use of RainX on the windshield, the rubber lining is no longer uniform near the bottom, and causes water to streak after the wiper retracts.

For those who go through rough winters and don't use the OEM ones, what has worked well for you?
Sponsored

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Type R, 17' CR-V Touring
Replace the rubber. The rubber on the OEM wipers doesn't last more than a year but is cheap to replace.

Lazylahma

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatchback sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone from Canada have recommendations for the harsh winters here? I never really put much thought into the wipers on my 8th gen. OEM ones lasted through 100k kms until it got traded in.

The rubber lining on the CivicX sadly seems to have gotten degraded due to exorbitant use of RainX on the windshield, the rubber lining is no longer uniform near the bottom, and causes water to streak after the wiper retracts.

For those who go through rough winters and don't use the OEM ones, what has worked well for you?
You kept the oem wiper blades for 100km miles??? How?? Mine will typically start falling apart around a year. I have the oem ones on my car now with 12k miles which is roughly 20k km and they already need to be replaced

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag

I tried these from ACDELCO a while back. You can buy them from ROCKAUTO for around $9. CDN
They were excellent for the winter around here.
Honda Civic 10th gen Wiper recommendations wiper blade

OP
OP

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
You kept the oem wiper blades for 100km miles??? How?? Mine will typically start falling apart around a year. I have the oem ones on my car now with 12k miles which is roughly 20k km and they already need to be replaced
100k kilometers :D About 60k miles. They lasted long. I just didn't use them when there was ice on the windshield in winter or bugs in the summer. TBH, they weren't effective and I used them only for the rain which we don't get a lot of where I live.

Lazylahma

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatchback sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Man I wish I had your wiper blade luck, I replace yearly at the beginning of winter, if I don’t the rubber rips off within a few weeks of less then freezing weather

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Be sure to clean the rubber on the blades, it'll help them last longer. I like spraying tire cleaner on a paper towel/rag, and running it along the length of the blade. I'm always surprised with the amount of gunk it pulls off. Rain picks up traffic film (oil, gas, coolant, organic matter) that then splashes on your car. This can quickly dirty your wipers and break down the rubber.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
Be sure to clean the rubber on the blades, it'll help them last longer. I like spraying tire cleaner on a paper towel/rag, and running it along the length of the blade. I'm always surprised with the amount of gunk it pulls off. Rain picks up traffic film (oil, gas, coolant, organic matter) that then splashes on your car. This can quickly dirty your wipers and break down the rubber.
Just make sure your blades aren't graphite coated. Removing the coating is not a good idea.
Many times people mistake the graphite for dirt and without it the blade won't glide.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Just make sure your blades aren't graphite coated. Removing the coating is not a good idea.
Many times people mistake the graphite for dirt and without it the blade won't glide.
Did not know this was a thing! Is the graphite coating a new thing or has it always been used?

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
Did not know this was a thing! Is the graphite coating a new thing or has it always been used?
It's been used for a very long time.
Not sure there is any on silicone wipers but probably there is some other stuff, like teflon or they'll grab and skip even worse since silicone in softer.

Danny17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CIVIC EX
Country flag
I recently got a pair of PIAA silicone wipers for my car, and they're absolutely fantastic. Much better than the OEM wipers and they should last a much longer time according to what I've heard about them.

Combine that with a coating of RainX and the water is scared of my windshield.

OP
OP

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
I recently got a pair of PIAA silicone wipers for my car, and they're absolutely fantastic. Much better than the OEM wipers and they should last a much longer time according to what I've heard about them.

I think I'm going to try these next. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX in Modern Steel
Country flag

Just get replacement rubber inserts from the dealer. I've tried other "top end" ones like Bosch Icons and they were chattering/streaking after less than 2 weeks. I put the stock ones back on and they work excellently

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag

I read it somewhere rainx and piaa can't be used together. That's why piaa wipers came with cleaning wipes. I want to try piaa but currently running rainx windshield washer.
Sponsored