Wiper operation, 'Automatic' intermittent

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had intermittent wipers for decades. They're a pretty simple concept and a pretty basic setup. Last night I tried using them for the first half time in my Touring during a snow storm. After 10 minutes I gave up and just used the mist function for the rest of the trip. I've re-read the manual and like all intermittent wipers it seems to say set the sensitivity with the rotating stalk. Doesn't seem to work. Is my unit defective? I have read of other owners having similar grief.

Can the rain sensing be turned off so it works like normal intermittent wipers?
Sponsored

mcopolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura CSX, Honda Civic Touring
I've had intermittent wipers for decades. They're a pretty simple concept and a pretty basic setup. Last night I tried using them for the first half time in my Touring during a snow storm. After 10 minutes I gave up and just used the mist function for the rest of the trip. I've re-read the manual and like all intermittent wipers it seems to say set the sensitivity with the rotating stalk. Doesn't seem to work. Is my unit defective? I have read of other owners having similar grief.

I feel the same...but I am the exact opposite...I just came back from work and was trying to get the auto function on...instead I got the normal intermittent wipers going.........so short answer to your question...yes it can be turned off......in order for the auto wipers to come on, you gotta rotate or move the lever to the auto position or else it functions just like a normal intermittent wiper...I am still getting use to it...lol

If yours doesn't work like a normal one does, I would say is either defective and you are doing something wrong.

Take a look....

Honda Civic 10th gen Wiper operation, 'Automatic' intermittent eI2OxQh

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
I feel the same...but I am the exact opposite...I just came back from work and was trying to get the auto function on...instead I got the normal intermittent wipers going.........so short answer to your question...yes it can be turned off......in order for the auto wipers to come on, you gotta rotate or move the lever to the auto position or else it functions just like a normal intermittent wiper...I am still getting use to it...lol

If yours doesn't work like a normal one does, I would say is either defective and you are doing something wrong.

Take a look....
The intermittent and auto function is not available together. Either you have intermittent wipers or you have the auto rain sensing wipers. You are correct Colin, this system sucks. My wipers in auto mode turn on when dry and don't stop. I have yet to see them operate as per the manual.

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Hopefully a future software update can fix the wiper operation. I'm pretty sure its based on a sensor on top of the windshield. Maybe its affected by light and shadows. I have not played around with mine yet but I have some control engineering experience maybe I can figure out what's throwing off the sensor

baba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Lunar Silver
I've found the auto rain sensing wipers to work ok. And I've had plenty of opportunity to use them in rainy Oregon. They don't seem to work much better than intermittent wipers though. And sometimes they do wipe to frequently.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
Hopefully a future software update can fix the wiper operation. I'm pretty sure its based on a sensor on top of the windshield. Maybe its affected by light and shadows. I have not played around with mine yet but I have some control engineering experience maybe I can figure out what's throwing off the sensor
There is an infrared light in the sensor that detects moisture impacting the glass somehow. I briefly read the sensor manufacturer's spec sheet as a co-worker had looked into his new CR-V's auto wiper issues.

OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There is an infrared light in the sensor that detects moisture impacting the glass somehow. I briefly read the sensor manufacturer's spec sheet as a co-worker had looked into his new CR-V's auto wiper issues.
Do we know where the sensor is located? My dash cam is partially blocking a sensor on the driver side of the rear view mirror. The blockage does have my mirror dimming in overcast weather.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Behind the mirror. You can see it from the front of the windshield. The Sensing monochromatic camera is there as well. Pretty sure it's in a housing and bonded to the windshield so you can't block it. You can, and apparently have, blocked the light sensor for the auto-dimming mirror.

Rain and Light Sensor Assy

OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yup, that was my bad. I am however very happy with my dash cam install and will accept a slightly darkened rear view mirror.

OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've found the auto rain sensing wipers to work ok. And I've had plenty of opportunity to use them in rainy Oregon. They don't seem to work much better than intermittent wipers though. And sometimes they do wipe to frequently.
This afternoon I was out in a light rain and misty drizzle. Got to play with this feature in a less stressed situation. Figured it out and now I'm loving it. What a difference a day makes.

Where I'm really liking 'rain sensing' is its ability to wipe only when the windshield has your chosen amount of water on it. Standard intermittent wipers wipe at timed intervals. Choosing how much moisture to wipe off vs how often to wipe means a lot less adjusting. Even my nav. system is finding satellites a bit better. Still will have Honda do that repair as it is no where near correct. All in all I'm a happy puppy.

Rensyo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Have you had this problem checked by your dealership? It was my first time to try out the rain sensing wipers on my touring tonight but it woudn't work even with heavy rain.

OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have you had this problem checked by your dealership? It was my first time to try out the rain sensing wipers on my touring tonight but it woudn't work even with heavy rain.
I figured it out after playing with it more and now like it. (Note my last post above Dec. 30). We've had it nice here for the last week so haven't used it lately.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I figured it out after playing with it more and now like it. (Note my last post above Dec. 30). We've had it nice here for the last week so haven't used it lately.
I've tried using the rain sensing wipers on a few different occasions, and the wipers would wipe at the same interval no matter how heavy or how light the rain got. It felt like regular intermittent wipers, without any rain sensing functionality. The spec says the Canadian touring model comes with rain sensing wipers. Has anyone else experienced this?

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
Mine is somewhat random, but it actually has gotten better over time. When I first tried them, it was as if they were a hyperactive 5-year old on crack; their only speeds were super high and super super high, no matter how much or how little rain. I played with the sensitivity and tried all the settings, and ultimately they calmed down after a couple of uses. Still not perfect, but much better. It was like they had to self-adjust.

I can't leave them on auto, though, as the wiper will go off randomly when I go through dust or anything - which is bad for the wiper blades as the window is very dry in those occasions. They also go off every time I enter the garage (I assume this has to do with the sudden shadow of entering the garage). I leave mine on the minimum automatic rain sensing setting when it rains though, and they work decent, only sometimes getting too aggressive with very little rain.

camhabib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
So I've played around with the settings a bit and think I've figured out the functionality, and have to say, it kind of sucks. The "auto" setting simply senses the presence of rain, not the amount, and the "sensitivity" adjusts the frequency of wiping. Whether it's a light drizzle or the worst downpour, the same sensitivity setting will always wipe at the same speed. It seems a little speed sensitive, meaning the faster you go the more frequent it'll wipe, but the sensors appear to be unable to detect amount of rain, only the presence of.
Sponsored