Wiper Blades ?? OEM or Bosch ?

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
my oem's going into second wet season still fine, if the blade replacements are the same as what came with the car than i'm fine with those. might be the oem's can't take the snow on a regular basis. i'm also wondering how many people clean their blades at all.------easy way to quite a loud wiper, always works for me.
Sponsored

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
my oem's going into second wet season still fine, if the blade replacements are the same as what came with the car than i'm fine with those. might be the oem's can't take the snow on a regular basis. i'm also wondering how many people clean their blades at all.------easy way to quite a loud wiper, always works for me.
I used OEM blade in snow last winter, they work fine.

Last edited:

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i meant they don't last in a freezing environment. mine worked fine too the one time i drove in some snow.
I drive may car only one month on winter , march.
I see next winter with OEM wiper

Goseki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm pretty sure they're 26" and 18".

(also, the hatchbacks have 14" for the back window)

I've got a Bosch Icon 26" and Rain-X Latitude 18" on my car now. Side-by-side testing to see which one craps out first. I've only had them for a month or so with a few rain days, but they're already better than the stock blades were.

The OEM driver's side wiper did this weird thing where, right in the middle, where the wiper arm connects to the blade, it would rub the Rain-X off of the glass. I'd end up with a streak of splotchy water in my line of sight within five minutes of driving in the rain -- no joke, it really happened that quickly. Neither of the new blades have done the same thing, so they're already a win in my book.
OMG I thought I was going crazy, but same thing happened to me too. Re-applied rain-X. Same thing again. Time to switch out the OEM blades.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
OMG I thought I was going crazy, but same thing happened to me too. Re-applied rain-X. Same thing again. Time to switch out the OEM blades.
It was the strangest thing. I think my EP3's wipers did the same, but I also was using a different brand, not Bosch. When it happens, I have to either hunch down or sit taller just to see clearly.

I've been using Rain-X for around 25 years and don't want to give it up. The first time my wife and I took a trip in her car and it rained on her non-Rain-X'd windows, I bought a pack of Rain-X wipes at the next gas stop and fixed her up.

enc0re

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Passat
I just replaced my OEM wipers for the first time after 29 months and 12,000 miles. Michigan winters, not garaged; so full snow on the wipers. I didn't always remember to flip them up in 0 Fahrenheit either. So they froze to the windshield a few times and I hacked them off with the snow brush instead of letting the car warm up the wind shield.

TLAPkenn

TLAP Kenn
First Name
Kenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan; 2016 Honda CR-V EX; 1999 Honda CR-V EX (240k+ miles)
Country flag
It was the strangest thing. I think my EP3's wipers did the same, but I also was using a different brand, not Bosch. When it happens, I have to either hunch down or sit taller just to see clearly.

I've been using Rain-X for around 25 years and don't want to give it up. The first time my wife and I took a trip in her car and it rained on her non-Rain-X'd windows, I bought a pack of Rain-X wipes at the next gas stop and fixed her up.
I have the same thing on my Civic. It happened with the OEM blades, Rain-X blades, and now the Bosch Icon blades. I think it has to do with the arm placement/pressure on the windshield. Pretty frustrating.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I put a rainx latitude wiper on and at first it squeeked and chattered, then I read the instructions which say to operate the new wiper on a clean dry windshield for three or four minutes when first installed, as this breaks in the blade. I did that and then it worked perfectly. No more noise and a perfect wipe, no streaking.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
I have had good results using the OEM replacement inserts from the dealership, replace them every 6-8 months, cost about $8 bucks a pair. Usually marked origin is either USA or Japan. Most of the other replacement blades like Rain-X, Bosch, etc seem to be sourced in Mexico or China. The OEM inserts work well and are easy to install. Been doing this since my 06 EX coupe. I also use only Rain-X washer fluid, no issues with chattering or smoothness. Easy to carry a spare pair if inserts are wrapped around the spare tire.

Just saying, works for me. If I could get some silicone inserts that fit the factory blades, I'd surely try them.
Phil

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
The OEM inserts work well and are easy to install. Been doing this since my 06 EX coupe.
How can the blade inserts be removed and installed? I didn't think that these newfangled continuous-edge blades could be switched out like that.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
How can the blade inserts be removed and installed? I didn't think that these newfangled continuous-edge blades could be switched out like that.
Took me a while to figure it out, one end just sort of lifts then the whole insert slides out, luckily, I've got a great dealer and my car always goes to the same mechanic, so he's been more than will to show me stuff, if you remove the blade, take it in to the parts guy and (usually) he'll show you how, easy, less than 15 seconds a blade. The ends of the inserts are different, so be observant when you remove it, like I mentioned, the parts guys know how.
Phil

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Very very easy, look on You Tube. I don't remember the link.
OEM wiper work great on snow too.

Here I found it , 10 seconds later ;

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yup, LATOLE nailed it down for you, there's a YouTube video for everything, easy-peasy
Sponsored