Winterize procedures?

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
We are starting to see snow here, so it's time to winterize. So, I already filled up, put extra air into my tires and will put in 5 oz "Sta-bil" tomorrow. Is there anything else I miss?
Sponsored

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
We are starting to see snow here, so it's time to winterize. So, I already filled up, put extra air into my tires and will put in 5 oz "Sta-bil" tomorrow. Is there anything else I miss?
- Battery tender
- Oil change if it wasn't done recently

Other things that you might consider:
- Moth balls
- Dryer sheets
- Something like steel wool to block tail pipes and intake from rodants

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Some sort of chemical dehumidfier for the interior? I know RVs do that when they're put up for a while.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
I didn't see the part where you mention "hooning" it out in the snow :drive:

OP
OP
EnjoyDriving

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
Well, I know there are a lot of disputes on whether we should start the car and have it idling for awhile once in awhile during the winter storage. But seriously, would it hurt that bad to do that? How would it be different than some ppl driving it only once or twice in weeks during winter then?

- Battery tender
- Oil change if it wasn't done recently

Other things that you might consider:
- Moth balls
- Dryer sheets
- Something like steel wool to block tail pipes and intake from rodants

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
I've run some fuel stabilizers. Read the directions. IIRC, one I used suggested adding it first, then the fuel, then running the engine (or driving the car) so it would get pulled into the whole fuel system (lines, injectors etc) vs just sitting in the tank.

Martin Riggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I use to store my Honda for a couple of months.

Fill up gas and use stabilizer. Change oil before storage. Around here there is a product called fresh cab for rodent deterrent. Put one in engine bay, interior and trunk. Put something to clogged exhaust up. Possible air box if there is an openings. Car cover if you have one. Clean the car before storing. Sorry all over the place with this, at work.

Martin Riggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Seems counter productive but crack the windows a hair to let humidity out. Assuming it’s in a garage. Heated prefer.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
Well, I know there are a lot of disputes on whether we should start the car and have it idling for awhile once in awhile during the winter storage. But seriously, would it hurt that bad to do that? How would it be different than some ppl driving it only once or twice in weeks during winter then?
Not sure if you were aiming that at me or not. I didn't really say anything about starting it or not. I tend to think it's better to leave it be but to each his own. Just starting it and letting it idle for a few minutes is definitely different than driving. Assuming the driving is long enough to get the engine fully warmed up. Only downside of letting it sit on a charger is that oil probably settles more in the bottom. But where I am, winter is only about 4-5 months.

Martin Riggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would not waste the time to start it and let it idle.

OP
OP
EnjoyDriving

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
lol certainly not aiming at u. i have read so many posts ppl arguing about it b4. and then i realized how i always had to struggle to start my lawn mower after its been sittting in the winter, so that got me thinking more.

thanks for everyone's input :thumbsup:

Not sure if you were aiming that at me or not. I didn't really say anything about starting it or not. I tend to think it's better to leave it be but to each his own. Just starting it and letting it idle for a few minutes is definitely different than driving. Assuming the driving is long enough to get the engine fully warmed up. Only downside of letting it sit on a charger is that oil probably settles more in the bottom. But where I am, winter is only about 4-5 months.

TonyD

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rallye Red Type R
Country flag
I would try to move it once a month no matter what. I don't like putting cars on blocks all winter but don't want flat spots on the tires. Airing them up is a good idea.

Even in February we will see 2-3 days of sun when the roads are clear and dry so I would take it out for 10 minutes. I store a convertible 370Z and I drive it for a few minutes around town and then take her 2 exits up the highway and back.

All the other suggestions are good ones. I got mice last year and they got into EVERYTHING. In the airbox, in the trunk, etc. It sucked.

I now put a half dozen mouse traps around the garage. I get one every few weeks. Little bastids chew up the door trim and squeeze into tiny slits.

Last edited:

averagetrackdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 S2000
Country flag
I would try to move it once a month no matter what. I don't like putting cars on blocks all winter but don't want flat spots on the tires. Airing them up is a good idea.

Even in February we will see 2-3 days of sun when the roads are clear and dry so I would take it out for 10 minutes. I store a convertible 370Z and I drive it for a few minutes around town and then take her 2 exits up the highway and back.

All the other suggestions are good ones. I got mice last year and they got into EVERYTHING. In the airbox, in the trunk, etc. It sucked.

I now put a half down mouse traps around the garage. I get one every few weeks. Little bastids chew up the door trim and squeeze into tiny slits.
I was going to write up a similar piece about rodents, but TonyD beat me to it. Thanks, Tony. I had rats, not mice, chew up the wiring on a previous WRX and a 997. There's no such thing as having too many rat traps in the garage during the winter.
Sponsored