Featured Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know

1. delsorbo

delsorbo Senior Member

Car(s):
    civic si sedan '18
    i have 17" steelies with 215/50/17's on my '18 Si Sedan. Fits like a charm.

2. wdrx02

wdrx02 Batman

Car(s):
    Civic HB
    A recommended snow tire is Michelin Alpine PA4.
    There are many out there, but the most important is... the driver's way of driving: Speed, braking, timing on turns

Best advice is... if you don't need to drive in nasty weather - then don't. If you do... watch your driving... Don't be WOT, rather - modulate your acceleration and braking.
    Slow down more than your regular/usual speed and keep distance from other vehicle!

Its all about strategic and defensive driving - if you must be out and about on your rubbers....

3. BarracksSi

BarracksSi Senior Member

Car(s):
    '17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
    I slacked off a couple years back and had my EP3 with summer tires the day we started getting a light snow. I didn't really have to drive anywhere except around the block so I could put the car in the garage and switch to my winter tires.

That was the slowest, SKETCHIEST drive around the block I've ever done. Barely had any traction, took turns at 5 mph and still felt floaty. My heart was racing by the time I got into my driveway.

Now I make sure to switch wheels when the high temps drop below 50F for the season. Not gonna risk being out-of-state with the wrong tires.

4. wdrx02

wdrx02 Batman

Car(s):
    Civic HB

What tires did you end up getting? I just got a 2018 HB EX, so rolling on stock and winter is coming in WA.

5. arsh88

arsh88 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
    Has anyone ran enkei in the snow? I wanted to get some Draco's for summer but the PFS seem to be on clearance and i'm thinking they could be decent for winter. I'd prefer $100 a wheel for winter but the only thing in that range are some ugly american racing or the sport ones that everyone says breaks within 1 season.

6. BarracksSi

BarracksSi Senior Member

Car(s):
    '17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
    I got Pirelli SottoZero something-or-others in 215/55-16 on steelies for my FK7. On my EP, I had Dunlop Winter Sports. Both have been solid performers. The Pirellis got us home through the big Midwestern snowstorm after Christmas last year.

7. TOMMY B

TOMMY B Member

First Name:
    Tom
    Car(s):
    219 Honda Civic HB Sport
    #277 TOMMY B, Dec 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    I'm rolling on 205-55-16 Snows, Borbet Rims on 18 Sport Hatchback. With Nokian Nordman 5 I just recycle this set of rims and tries from my 09 SI. From my experience I would would do a drop 10 or a drop 20 and pick a winter tire thats more gear for snow then Ice, as most winter roads today are treated so the roads are more like wet / heavy/ slop & snow. A more open tread pattern is best in most typical snow type events. Ice tires tend to float up on this type of snow and suffer in the deep snow too, Unless you drive alot on hard packed ice & snow covered roads ? ICE tires might be better option.

This is a good watch about snow tires :

Watch "Winter Tires" on YouTube

8. Branch

Branch Member

Car(s):
    '17 Civic Hatchback Sport, '07 Porsche Cayman
    I have been pleased with my Continental Winter Contacts Si from Discount Tire Direct on 16' Vision Cross rims.

DSCF6901.jpg

DSCF6913.jpg

DSCF6930.jpg

kshawn thanked this.