Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know

saiyajin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Lexus IS250 AWD
Country flag
got some 16x6.5 steelies with 215/55R16 Hakka 9 looking forward to these this winter :headbang:
Sponsored

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
I went through 2 of the harshest winters in North America (Saskatchewan, Canada) with the stock Firestone FT140's. Definitely not the best all-season rubbers. But they made it through. CivicX got stuck once in 4 inches of churned over snow in the middle of a cul-de-sac.

I just know what kind of winter terrain to avoid based on experience and get by with these all-seasons. Never had any close calls with these rubbers on. VSA/TC or whatever it is definitely saved my ass twice on iced over roads that I was carving like it was summer.

That's sayin a lot about the stock rubbers they put on my CivicX. :drive: Actually holds onto the road just as well if not better under some conditions as my X5 with the Dunlop something's that it uses in the winter.

ThrillHill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I went through 2 of the harshest winters in North America (Saskatchewan, Canada) with the stock Firestone FT140's. Definitely not the best all-season rubbers. But they made it through. CivicX got stuck once in 4 inches of churned over snow in the middle of a cul-de-sac.

I just know what kind of winter terrain to avoid based on experience and get by with these all-seasons. Never had any close calls with these rubbers on. VSA/TC or whatever it is definitely saved my ass twice on iced over roads that I was carving like it was summer.

That's sayin a lot about the stock rubbers they put on my CivicX. :drive: Actually holds onto the road just as well if not better under some conditions as my X5 with the Dunlop something's that it uses in the winter.
I hear what you're saying, but I think that speaks more to your skill rather than the rubber itself. The FT140's are not that good in the snow. Could I manage through a winter with them? Yes, and I grew up driving through snow in New England with a rear drive wheeled car, as did many. I also ran track, and we had to run outside in the winter. Yes, if you were skilled, you could use your running shoes to get through the snow. But why not use winter boots and just be more secure and safer?

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX Sedan CVT white
Country flag
I live in similar climate as civicdabest in Manitoba, a few hours north of Grand Forks ND.
I too have driven in winter with all seasons and rear wheel drive. It not that big of a deal.
You maybe get stuck once a winter.
But, having Nokians now, it is just so much better, safer, and less nerve racking.
With a set of steel rims and winter tires, your summer tires last a long time so it really doesn't cost more
just the initial investment.

Dano63

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport manual
Country flag
I have a 2018 Civic Hatchback Sport with stock 235-40R18 wheels. For winter will the 195-65R15 steel wheels from my previous 2012 Civic sedan EX fit properly ?
I have the same model, and am wondering too if 15" wheels will really clear the brakes. Tire Rack offers 15" wheels as a possible option for this model, but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually installed them.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
235/50/18s mounted on the stock rims. Just barely cleared haha.
Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know 20181019_105003
Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know 20181019_165636
Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know 20181019_165653

Fredwithanf

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not super stoked on the look, but I'll give it a pass for the winter.

Nokian Hakkepeliitta R2s on a set of 17" rims off an Accord. Fit like a glove.
Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know 7F8E69E9-634E-45A5-B097-2431CA7635B3

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX Sedan CVT white
Country flag
Not super stoked on the look, but I'll give it a pass for the winter.

Nokian Hakkepeliitta R2s on a set of 17" rims off an Accord. Fit like a glove.
7F8E69E9-634E-45A5-B097-2431CA7635B3.jpeg
Let us know how you like the tires, I have them and find in snow and slush, they are great.
Compared to Xi3, Michelin were quieter on the highway and handled ice better.

Dano63

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport manual
Country flag
I have the same model, and am wondering too if 15" wheels will really clear the brakes. Tire Rack offers 15" wheels as a possible option for this model, but I'd like to hear from someone who has actually installed them.
I went with 16x7 wheels and 205/60R16 Goodyear UG Ice WRT tires. Drove in the snow last night for the first time since installation, and I was very impressed with the traction.
Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know IMG_20181108_204032492

abe

First Name
abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hachback sport touring
Nice guide! I also bought my wheels and tires at Tire Rack but I went for more of a budget setup. General Altimax Arctic 205/60R16 and steel wheels.
IMG_20151231_140816.jpg
Hi
can i use 205/55/16 winter tires for my car.civic hatchback sport touring Thanks

SiCKvic98

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FE1 Si (Sold), ‘22 Si, ‘24 ITS (incoming)
Country flag
I don't know if anyone has asked but, does anyone have 16" rims on an Si? I bought a set of rims and tires from a guy on Kijij who claims that they came off of a 2016 civic. When I tried to mount them, its almost as if the brakes were too big for them?

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I don't know if anyone has asked but, does anyone have 16" rims on an Si? I bought a set of rims and tires from a guy on Kijij who claims that they came off of a 2016 civic. When I tried to mount them, its almost as if the brakes were too big for them?
"Almost"? They either won't fit over the brakes or they will.

Check in the Si subforum for recommended wheel specs.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
What year Si ? The later years got bigger brakes, and this limits how small a wheel will fit.
On the 2018 si, the OEM standard sizes are 18" & 19".

I believe that the 2017 Si was the last year that the 17" wheels would fit, and the 2018 Si was upgraded to bigger brakes ??

Some claim that some 17" wheels will fit, but that seem to be very hit & miss.
Some may "Just" fit, other will not clear the calipers.

16" on a 2018 Si -- Forget it !!!

I would like to get a set of 17" wheels and winter tires for my 2018 Si, but so far, have not had any success in finding anything that fits correctly.