Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Its same 16" drag dr-69
I would bet that you should not use ball seat lug nuts on those wheels.

The thread pitch given is correct -- 12mm x 1.5 -- and the other specs can vary (I've used lug nuts that needed a 17mm socket before; plus you can get all those spline-type nuts, and Mugen made 7-sided nuts, too). But make sure that the seating area of those wheels' lug holes matches the lug nuts.

I'm telling you this because I don't want you to damage your wheels by using the wrong nuts.

[edit -- I re-read your original question; if all you needed to know was the thread pitch, then kwk1 gave you the right specs. I didn't want you (or any other readers) to think that 'ball seat' was also required for your aftermarket wheels]

(btw -- we really need a comprehensive, but readable, FAQ/Wheels101 sticky thread)

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know lug_nut_seat_types
Sponsored

Last edited:

Honda 4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic lx
Country flag

The thread pitch given is correct -- 12mm x 1.5 -- and the other specs can vary (I've used lug nuts that needed a 17mm socket before; plus you can get all those spline-type nuts, and Mugen made 7-sided nuts, too). But make sure that the seating area of those wheels' lug holes matches the lug nuts.

I'm telling you this because I don't want you to damage your wheels by using the wrong nuts.

[edit -- I re-read your original question; if all you needed to know was the thread pitch, then kwk1 gave you the right specs. I didn't want you (or any other readers) to think that 'ball seat' was also required for your aftermarket wheels]

(btw -- we really need a comprehensive, but readable, FAQ/Wheels101 sticky thread)

lug_nut_seat_types.jpg
Mmm thanks i have extra lug nuts ill try to post a pic the one im using(lug nut) right now and the one i bought on ebay. So there are three kinds of lug seat and i didn't know that :p

Edit: but i think conical looks common lug seat? And The one i bought is conical https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-16-L...-STYLE-ALUMINUM-/282640382375?redirect=mobile

Last edited:

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Mmm thanks i have extra lug nuts ill try to post a pic the one im using(lug nut) right now and the one i bought on ebay. So there are three kinds of lug seat and i didn't know that :p

Edit: but i think conical looks common lug seat? And The one i bought is conical https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-16-L...-STYLE-ALUMINUM-/282640382375?redirect=mobile
There's at least three kinds of lug seats (I think there's more than that), but we mostly just need to worry about two (apart from special wheels like a BBS set from an Evo that I learned about here last year, which uses flat lug nuts).

Conical is very common, yes, as it's become the default seat for many aftermarket wheels. It's almost harder to find ball seat lug nuts. But, if you carry a spare tire, you should also keep a set of ball seat lug nuts in the car in case you have a flat and need to use the spare.

I'd like to remind you, however, that aluminum lug nuts have their own drawbacks, especially when it comes to torque and thread strength. It's easier to strip their threads, so you need to stick with the prescribed torque recommendation (somewhere between 60-80 ft-lbs, I think). This isn't a big deal if you do your wheel changes yourself and can control every step, but a shop or dealership might not think about them and just slam them home with an air wrench.

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX Sedan CVT white
Country flag

lug_nut_seat_types.jpg
For sure BarracksSi, he asked "Pls help what is the size of the lug nut of 2017 honda civic lx sedan?", and that's the info I gave him.
Definitely have to know which seat type the wheels are.

Honda 4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic lx
Country flag
For sure BarracksSi, he asked "Pls help what is the size of the lug nut of 2017 honda civic lx sedan?", and that's the info I gave him.
Definitely have to know which seat type the wheels are.
Haist just changing wheels to much complicated offset,size etc. now lug seat. Im not home right now but discount tire they gave me extra lug nut.

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX Sedan CVT white
Country flag
Haist just changing wheels to much complicated offset,size etc. now lug seat. Im not home right now but discount tire they gave me extra lug nut.
I agree 100%. For now I have steel wheels for summer and winter, both use the factory lug nuts so I have no confusion, lol.

elmer255

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
This thread has some great info- I picked up my Sport Hatch late in the winter and wasn't working so no need for snow tires/wheels but I will next year. Am I the only one here in the northeast who feels like the suspension is going to be destroyed with the stock 18" rims and tires? These potholes are killer around my area this year. I've hit some massive ones.

peetuhwoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback LX CVT
Country flag
I have a 2017 Civic Hatchback LX CVT. I’m new to this while auto thing, but my question is that I’m trying to get rid of my stock wheels (215/55 R16 tires, 16x7 with +45 offset) and switch it out with 18x8 with +50 offset (preferably the stock Civic Hatchback Sport stock wheels 18x8 +50 offset). Will I be able to switch it out without changing out my suspensions or getting spacers or anything in that nature? And what about the TPMS?

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
man learned some good stuff from this thread,

ive always run glacier grip carbided studded tires here in alaska, how do you blizzaks compare and do they also have metal studs?

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have a 2017 Civic Hatchback LX CVT. I’m new to this while auto thing, but my question is that I’m trying to get rid of my stock wheels (215/55 R16 tires, 16x7 with +45 offset) and switch it out with 18x8 with +50 offset (preferably the stock Civic Hatchback Sport stock wheels 18x8 +50 offset). Will I be able to switch it out without changing out my suspensions or getting spacers or anything in that nature? And what about the TPMS?
It'll switch out just fine, no spacers necessary. If the wheels have larger center holes than stock -- and most aftermarket wheels do, so that they leave enough space for stock hub flanges -- the seller should include hubcentric rings (or hub centering rings).

The TPMS doesn't use sensors in the wheels, so you don't have to worry about that part. If a warning comes on, you can do a recalibration like usual to tell the system that, yes, you checked the tire pressures and they're good.

ostiedneer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I have a 2018 Civic Hatchback Sport with stock 235-40R18 wheels. For winter will the 195-65R15 steel wheels from my previous 2012 Civic sedan EX fit properly ?

e85sbm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I have a 2018 Civic Hatchback Sport with stock 235-40R18 wheels. For winter will the 195-65R15 steel wheels from my previous 2012 Civic sedan EX fit properly ?
Other than potential clearance for brakes, they will work. There is a speedo error of 1.69%

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX in Modern Steel
Country flag
I don't understand your reasoning for going with the non-standard offset. Going with a non-stock wheel offset can put more stress on wheel bearings and cause them to wear prematurely. I also don't agree that narrower tires give better traction by "cutting through the snow". Wider tires will give more contact patch and this is what you want in a low-friction environment, although the difference between the tires you bought and stock is probably not enough to make much difference.
old thread, but smaller skis ski more slowly: More contact surface=more energy transfer=more heat=more ice melted into water to hydroplane ontop of the snow/ice. That's why cross-country skis are so long, while childrens skis are so short (beyond obvious reasons)

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
old thread, but smaller skis ski more slowly: More contact surface=more energy transfer=more heat=more ice melted into water to hydroplane ontop of the snow/ice. That's why cross-country skis are so long, while childrens skis are so short (beyond obvious reasons)
I don't understand the ski analogy, as one uses the ski's edges for turning, and one turns skis sideways to slow down or stop.

I would agree with @jks statements except that the contact patch is wider with wider tires, not "more."

The area of the contact patch (contact surface to you) is a function of the vehicle's weight distribution and the tire's tread pattern. Within practical limits of reasonable tire sizes, wider or narrower tires change only the shape of the contact patch; the size of the contact patch does not appreciably change.

However, whether one should have narrower or wider tires is not easily answered because the answer depends on conditions, the vehicle, the particular tire, and the driver's skills (not talent; taught/learned skills). For example, some tires, e.g., Hakkapeliitta's, have sidewalls designed to offer excellent handling characteristics when driving with high slip angles (a.k.a. driving sideways or drifting) on snow-covered roads. However, if one doesn't drive that way, then that advantage of those tires' design is moot.

Aurelleah

First Name
Aurelleah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX in Modern Steel
Country flag
I don't understand the ski analogy, as one uses the ski's edges for turning, and one turns skis sideways to slow down or stop.
Yes, you do; it's part of what shows that a relatively small change in surface area can make an appreciable difference in the amount of hydroplaning on ice.
Sponsored