Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know

Cintx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T HS CVT Aegean Blue
Country flag
Seems like the Orillia techs know their shit. The Downsview-Billy Bishop (GTA) techs are clueless.
The guy seemed pretty knowledgeable. He even explained why the lug nuts wouldn't work. I was expecting a $70 bill but he said they might be $22-25. I was pretty happy when they came up as $14.01 with tax in.

Well, since Cintx got the same rims as I am getting, I'll make sure to use tapered lug nuts. Hopefully, that is my final answer, lol!
They work just fine for me so I say go for it!
Sponsored

17Civ

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic 4D Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My winter kicks. General Altimax arctic tires on steelies. $660 out the door here in the USA from tire rack. I thought I would hate steelies but I like the Mad Max look!

20161015_104841.jpg
Thank you for the info and photos. Did a bit of research on the Altimax and will probably go with those and the steel wheels for winter driving. Hey I bought a Civic to save money so the cheaper wheels work just fine.

17Civ

Celus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LX Hatch
That guy is an idiot. You should be using the correct hubcentric rims. I put the X40922 from Costco on my car and bought 205/65-R15 Michilin X-ICE IX3 from them as well. I had to buy lug nuts since Honda uses a ball lug nut and these aftermarket rims use a tapered lug nut. The lug nuts were $14.01 taxes in so not a bad price.

I was all in for $904.00 with Michelin's $70 rebate. I also bought a $45.99 tire cover in that order so just rims, tires and lug nuts would be $863-ish CDN installed.

Does anyone know where I can buy a centre hub cap for these rims?
I have 17 Hatch LX, i think i'll order the exact one you did, 205/65-R15 and X40922, since i am down sizing from 16" to 15"

Did you ended up getting any hub caps?

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
My winter kicks. General Altimax arctic tires on steelies. $660 out the door here in the USA from tire rack. I thought I would hate steelies but I like the Mad Max look!

20161015_104841.jpg
Those look pretty badass, like Mad Max as you say. Saw a lot of nice cars with steel wheels when I visited Germany in the winter.

Cintx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T HS CVT Aegean Blue
Country flag
I have 17 Hatch LX, i think i'll order the exact one you did, 205/65-R15 and X40922, since i am down sizing from 16" to 15"

Did you ended up getting any hub caps?
I have the sedan, so just make sure that a 15" rim can fit the hatch. So far so good with these rims and tires on my car.

No luck yet on center caps. You can buy full hub caps for 15" rims at Wal-mart and other places. I specifically want the centre hub cap style.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I ended up getting some previous generation 17" Civic wheels and 1-month used Blizzak WS80s. Overall it ended up being only $20 more than if I were to buy 15" wheels and tires from Costco. The wheels came with all-season tires that I'll try to sell in the spring, so this will likely end up being cheaper than the Costco route. I've usually done 15" with bigger sidewalls in the past, but decided to experiment with this setup to see how I like it and how it handles potholes in the spring.

Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know IMG_20171115_084718 Honda Civic 10th gen Winter Wheels / Tires - Everything you want to know IMG_20171115_084727

BobM_Jr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I ended up getting some previous generation 17" Civic wheels and 1-month used Blizzak WS80s.
Those wheels look really nice on the 10 gen. Good choice. Luckily I don't live where winter setups are necessary.

xtherebellion

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring Sedan
Country flag
Recently purchased a '16 civic touring. Upgraded from an '08 civic. I had purchased new winter tires the winter before so they weren't used that much. I am wondering if 15" winter tires would work on my '16 civic, and if there are any downsides to using a smaller size tire vs the 17" that they came with?

Edit: the exact size is 195/65/r15

Last edited:

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX Sedan CVT white
Country flag
Recently purchased a '16 civic touring. Upgraded from an '08 civic. I had purchased new winter tires the winter before so they weren't used that much. I am wondering if 15" winter tires would work on my '16 civic, and if there are any downsides to using a smaller size tire vs the 17" that they came with?

Edit: the exact size is 195/65/r15
No downside, just that 205-65-15 will keep your speedo correct.
195-65-15 will probably show 62 mph on speedo and actual speed will be 60.

Mightyming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic ex
Country flag
Costco in Orillia. I bought them when they were installing the rims and tires. I dont know if it's just a loss leader or consumable part since I couldn't find them on the website. And yes, that price was for twenty.

That's what the guy at Costco said.
My civic steelies arrived today. They seemed to have a rounded holes on it. I also checked it against my tapered lock nut, and they did not fit very well.

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My civic steelies arrived today. They seemed to have a rounded holes on it. I also checked it against my tapered lock nut, and they did not fit very well.
Got my Costco X40922 and it seems like they use the ball seat nuts.
Tires will get put on Tuesday.

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Please let me know if they fit. I get the same x40922 rim.
Sure thing, getting them put on Tuesday. My sister has an 07 Civic and she got the same rims. The factory lugs were used without any issues. I'm just not sure if Honda used these ball seat nuts back then.

xtherebellion

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Touring Sedan
Country flag
Would 205/65/r16 be okay for 4 door '16 civic touring?