majcoug

First Name
Maj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si '19
Country flag
Hey guys and gals; I am looking to get some winter tires and found a really good deal on some Blizzak's. I know the OEM set up is 235/40/R18. The tires that I'm looking at are 235/55/R18. Do you guys know if this will work for me stock wheels? Will I have any issues? I am planning on picking them up today so any help as soon as possible would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much in advace
Sponsored

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Those Blizzaks are much larger than the OEM tires. They will probably mount fine on the wheels, but will likely rub when you drive your car with them. Also, your speedometer and odometer will read slower than your actual speed.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Too bad I didn't see this sooner, because if you bought those tires yesterday, you're gonna be hosed.

Your speedometer will be off by +11% (3% is the max). If you're going 60 mph according to your speedo, you're actually going 66.6 mph. You're going to get into trouble with those tires. Plus you'll likely rub and it won't clear. Don't cheap out....get the right size.

If you bought them, then you really should sell them and get proper tires.

Why not go 225/40R18 if you have to have 18's? It's less expensive than 235/40R18 and only throws off the speedo by -1.2%. Or better yet, go for 17's (215/50R17, 225/45R17 or 235/45R17 all work) which are less expensive than 18's and get a dedicated set of steel wheels or cheap aluminum rims.

_dc_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You're much better off getting a dedicated set of winter wheels. Then you can downsize to 17" and it will be cheaper in the long run. You'll pay $100+ twice a year to swap your tires off rims. If you're on dedicated winter wheels, it'll be more like $30, or $0 if you do it yourself.

OP
OP

majcoug

First Name
Maj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si '19
Country flag
I did not end up buying those tires! Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm going to take everything into consideration and see what I can do! Thanks again!
Sponsored