Windshield wipers going past windshield.

AlphaMoose67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Civic LX
Country flag
Sorry I’m not sure exactly where to post this.

But basically the title. Been like this since I bought it. I replaced the wipers thinking the dealership put on the wrong size by accident.

However the new *correct* wipers are the exact same as the old ones.

If I look out my driver door window I can see the tip going about a inch past the side of the car, surely that’s not normal?

What would be the remedy for this?

Link to show what I mean:
Sponsored

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Accord LX (wife's)
Country flag
Can't quite tell in the video... are the wiper blades actually too long, or are they just swinging too FAR to the side?

On older Hondas at least, this would happen if the nut that holds the actual wiper arm together got stripped - this can actually happen really easy if someone pulls on the wipers while they're off, or by trying to run the wipers while they're frozen to the windshield in winter.

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For example, this was the culprit on my RSX: the bushing was worn out and stripped, so the wipers flew around and smacked the A-pillar and bottom.

Honda Civic 10th gen Windshield wipers going past windshield. CIMG1768

OP
OP
AlphaMoose67

AlphaMoose67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Civic LX
Country flag
Can't quite tell in the video... are the wiper blades actually too long, or are they just swinging too FAR to the side?

On older Hondas at least, this would happen if the nut that holds the actual wiper arm together got stripped - this can actually happen really easy if someone pulls on the wipers while they're off, or by trying to run the wipers while they're frozen to the windshield in winter.
Here’s another video from the outside.

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OK that looks like what I had, where the travel is too far.

Also is it just me, or do they look like they're stopping too high at the bottom too? The wiper looks too high when it's resting at the bottom. So I don't think your bushing/rod is broken or anything, but it's not aligned right - it's like the motor is stuck one "notch" too far to the right... so it is swinging the right distance, but it starts in the wrong spot. Does that make sense?

I've never taken apart wipers or the motor assembly on the 10th gens yet, so please keep in mind I could be wrong. But if they're built like previous Hondas/Acuras, you should be able to actually remove some of the trim and expose the wiper arms and ball/socket connection, and adjust it.

Check this thread out for reference: https://www.insightcentral.net/threads/wiper-hits-side-of-window-pillar-on-high-setting.98402/

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
I was thinking the same thing. There are likely "gears" for lack of a better word and the wiper blade arm may just need taken off and set to 8 or 9 o'clock rather than 10 or 11. When the wipers are off do they settle down into the area below the hood line? Does that happen on all model Civics?

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Also is it just me, or do they look like they're stopping too high at the bottom too? The wiper looks too high when it's resting at the bottom. So I don't think your bushing/rod is broken or anything, but it's not aligned right - it's like the motor is stuck one "notch" too far to the right... so it is swinging the right distance, but it starts in the wrong spot. Does that make sense?

I've never taken apart wipers or the motor assembly on the 10th gens yet, so please keep in mind I could be wrong. But if they're built like previous Hondas/Acuras, you should be able to actually remove some of the trim and expose the wiper arms and ball/socket connection, and adjust it.

Check this thread out for reference: https://www.insightcentral.net/threads/wiper-hits-side-of-window-pillar-on-high-setting.98402/
Here are the parts I'm talking about: https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts...cm-eng-6mt-ka-6mt/front-windshield-wiper.html

I *think* you need to get to where you can pop off the Pivot Cap (part #6) and adjust the wiper arms on the nut underneath...
Honda Civic 10th gen Windshield wipers going past windshield. upload_2019-8-20_11-48-19

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pull the wiper arm and set the home position lower. This will affect the swing.
It should be more horizontal.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
If you have less than 36,000 miles on your '17, have the dealer fix it for free.

zaidred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 EX-T
Country flag
I had the exact same problem. I took it to the dealer and they said there was a rock in the wiper system which was making the wiper go off the windshield. So they fixed it and its all good now.
Sponsored