red-line

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport
Country flag
What are the black dots near the top of the windshield, grouped to the left of the Honda sensing? (Behind the rear-view mirror)

I'm looking to install a dash cam and am wondering if I can attach the suction cup there. Any info is appreciated.
Sponsored

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What are the black dots near the top of the windshield, grouped to the left of the Honda sensing? (Behind the rear-view mirror)

I'm looking to install a dash cam and am wondering if I can attach the suction cup there. Any info is appreciated.
They are mostly there for aesthetics, so you don’t see the edge of the windshield where it’s urethaned into the car.
You’ll have a hard time getting a dash cam or GPS suction cup to stay adhered there as it’s not a smooth surface.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
^ agreed, suction cup won't work there. I used the 3M adhesive mount up there and has been fine for about a year now.

OP
OP

red-line

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport
Country flag
^ agreed, suction cup won't work there. I used the 3M adhesive mount up there and has been fine for about a year now.
Good idea. My concern would be removing the adhesive if need be

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Good idea. My concern would be removing the adhesive if need be
I'm sure it's not so strong that goo gone wouldn't take it off. I hope not to find out until it's time to sell the car though lol

OP
OP

red-line

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport
Country flag
Yeah, I'm wondering what goo gone would do to the existing black dots. I'll prob be giving it a try anyway.

OP
OP

red-line

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport
Country flag
I'm sure it's not so strong that goo gone wouldn't take it off. I hope not to find out until it's time to sell the car though lol
You happen to have a link to the American disc you used?

NUshek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T 6MT
Country flag
Yeah, I'm wondering what goo gone would do to the existing black dots. I'll prob be giving it a try anyway.
I had my dash cam 3M taped to that area on my last car (2016 Civic) and removed it before I traded it in for my current one. I used floss to remove it and then some goo gone and the black dots looked fine. It was on for over a year.

Brian

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I had my dash cam 3M taped to that area on my last car (2016 Civic) and removed it before I traded it in for my current one. I used floss to remove it and then some goo gone and the black dots looked fine. It was on for over a year.

Brian
Those black dots are like perma-adhered. You'll be fine

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Biggest issue I found when mounting a dash cam, was to reduce the reflections off the inside of the windscreen glass.

OP
OP

red-line

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport
Country flag
Biggest issue I found when mounting a dash cam, was to reduce the reflections off the inside of the windscreen glass.
How'd you manage? Just angling it right?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
sill have not figured out even a reasonably acceptable solution, especially under some lighting conditions.. looks like it may need some anti-reflective material on the windscreen where the camera looks out.

Its ok when out in bright sunlight, when the outside is significantly brighter than the inside, but in shade, there are masses of internal reflections.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
sill have not figured out even a reasonably acceptable solution, especially under some lighting conditions.. looks like it may need some anti-reflective material on the windscreen where the camera looks out.

Its ok when out in bright sunlight, when the outside is significantly brighter than the inside, but in shade, there are masses of internal reflections.
A few dash cam manufactures make polarized filters to stop this, rexing however doesn't. I spent all day trying to find one ,lol
Sponsored