Will the CTR be limited release or a production model?

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
I'm hoping at least 1 more production year. I get my car paid off in September and planning to stash cash till least 2018 model years start to hit dealers so I can add in tax refund to my down payment.
More likely different variants to build more hype and sell more of the same cars with adm. Kinda like the sti ra and focus rs limited.
Sponsored

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
More likely different variants to build more hype and sell more of the same cars with adm. Kinda like the sti ra and focus rs limited.
The current RS was always intended to just run 2yrs. It's due for a refresh. At least the RS has an added LSD and RS2 pkg as std for 2018 for just a $495 addition on the usual RS2 pkg. I think they are really just wanting to clear out the stock room to focus on the next gen.

I'm also surprised there have not been more limited edition STi's with all the ones the BRZ has. They are usually just appearance changes though with a dash of random STi optional parts added standard.

Wizerud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mini Clubman S All4
Based on the number of digits in the sequence number nameplate, there won't be more than 99,999 made. ;)

To put this into perspective, Honda sells about that many Civic of all trims every 90 days. It has been estimated that the number of Si sold is around 10% of the number of regular Civic trims. Based on this and the assumption that the Type R will sell less than the Si and the 6,000 number over the next 8 months that's been tossed around, I'd say the 5-digit sequence number will be adequate for the next decade!
Si's make up far less than 10% of all Civic sales. In generations past they've typically sold around 15k a year at most...so maybe 3-4%. Most people don't want/can't do stick which immediately makes it an outlier to the majority of buyers. That and it was always the expensive trim and looked too boy racer-ish for most buyers.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Si's make up far less than 10% of all Civic sales. In generations past they've typically sold around 15k a year at most...so maybe 3-4%.
Since Honda do not publish sales of individual trims, we're left to make educated guesses. Mine was based on a quick check of the number of used Civic models listed for sale on Cars.com. As of this post, there are 19,599 2006-2015 (8th and 9th gen) Civic listed of which 1,680 are Si - that's just under 9%. People who own "special" vehicles tend to hang on to them a bit longer than the average family sedan, so the percentage of Civic that are Si may actually be above 10%.

Wizerud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mini Clubman S All4
Since Honda do not publish sales of individual trims, we're left to make educated guesses. Mine was based on a quick check of the number of used Civic models listed for sale on Cars.com. As of this post, there are 19,599 2006-2015 (8th and 9th gen) Civic listed of which 1,680 are Si - that's just under 9%. People who own "special" vehicles tend to hang on to them a bit longer than the average family sedan, so the percentage of Civic that are Si may actually be above 10%.
I would suggest it's more likely that people are selling their Si's because the new gen model has just been released and they wanna upgrade.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would suggest it's more likely that people are selling their Si's because the new gen model has just been released and they wanna upgrade.
But, the 2017 has no more HP than the 2015. VTEC is gone. The exhaust is too quiet. It has turbo lag. It has rev hang. Dealers are asking MSRP or above. It doesn't rev high enough. The power band is too narrow. The fake vents are offensive. The sheet metal is too thin. The aluminum shift knob burns your hand. There isn't enough head room. It doesn't have a spare tire (US). It doesn't come with LED headlights (US). Sport mode is a joke. The steering is too heavy. The engine is too small... Judging by the list of complaints I've seen on here, owners should be clinging to their previous-generation Si for dear life! :eek:

PwrOfDreams

It ain't a Type R then it ain't a tight car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
But, the 2017 has no more HP than the 2015. VTEC is gone. The exhaust is too quiet. It has turbo lag. It has rev hang. Dealers are asking MSRP or above. It doesn't rev high enough. The power band is too narrow. The fake vents are offensive. The sheet metal is too thin. The aluminum shift knob burns your hand. There isn't enough head room. It doesn't have a spare tire (US). It doesn't come with LED headlights (US). Sport mode is a joke. The steering is too heavy. The engine is too small... Judging by the list of complaints I've seen on here, owners should be clinging to their previous-generation Si for dear life! :eek:
You would think that was the case but sometimes people just want a new different type of driving experience with the new different type of car.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
While I agree (having not actually driven one yet...) I'd guess that half the people that buy an Si just buy it because it seems cooler than the others after checking both out side-by-side.

As modifications and such go, the current Si probably has the most power potential per dollar of mod since it can be reflashed by pretty much anyone that can operate a laptop-after purchasing Flashpro of course. 8th gen upgrades came from replacing the header which, of course, incurred the cost of the header, installation, and whatever you had to do to defeat the codes.
Believe me, I'm disappointed with the new Si and I wouldn't get one myself BUT it is legitimately better than the previous Si even if it isn't better than the competition on paper.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
While I agree (having not actually driven one yet...) I'd guess that half the people that buy an Si just buy it because it seems cooler than the others after checking both out side-by-side.

As modifications and such go, the current Si probably has the most power potential per dollar of mod since it can be reflashed by pretty much anyone that can operate a laptop-after purchasing Flashpro of course. 8th gen upgrades came from replacing the header which, of course, incurred the cost of the header, installation, and whatever you had to do to defeat the codes.
Believe me, I'm disappointed with the new Si and I wouldn't get one myself BUT it is legitimately better than the previous Si even if it isn't better than the competition on paper.
In the interest of full disclosure, I must admit that I considered a Type R (and RS, ST, WRX, STI, GTI, MX5, BRZ, etc.) before purchasing an Si. Any would have been affordable, but in my case I wanted a sporty daily driver instead of a "race car for the road" that chewed through a set of $1,600 tires every 10,000 miles. I've owned dozens of vehicles from multiple brands from economy cars to sporty cars to luxury cars to large trucks and am absolutely smitten with the Si.

Last edited:

Wizerud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mini Clubman S All4
Even for enthusiasts on forums such as this, power isn’t everything. For those other “regular” people it’s just the latest version of the car they have complete with all the improvements that the salesman will no doubt rave about. And bottom line is it is still quicker than the 9th gen.
Sponsored