Will the CTR be limited release or a production model?

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
LOTS of companies (many public) sell for a loss.

On a smaller scale, this is called "Loss Leaders":
https://www.inc.com/encyclopedia/loss-leader-pricing.html

On a bigger scale, its used for grabbing market share away from competitors, or in some cases, meeting Federal requirements.
http://www.reuters.com/article/chrsyelr-ceo-evs-idUSL1N0O71MS20140521

certain cases, yes. Civic type R is based on a Civic hatch back, uses the same tooling and production line as the euro civic. Engine and transmission will be shared with the next Honda Accord coming out next year. One can be said that Civic type R is a test mule/test bed for the new engine for the accord, as Mazdaspeed6 was just a test bed for the CX7. At 34k, Honda isn't losing money on the R.
Sponsored

jtrown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Civic Hybrid, 2010 Accord Crosstour, Rallye Red CTR
I think they actually have to sell one to grab market share. The only thing Honda is sharing right now is hot air......that keeps moving farther into the future.

mikec27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 S2000, 2017 CTR
Country flag
Consider that Honda only brought about 3800 Integra Type Rs to the US between 1997 to 2001.

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
certain cases, yes. Civic type R is based on a Civic hatch back, uses the same tooling and production line as the euro civic. Engine and transmission will be shared with the next Honda Accord coming out next year. One can be said that Civic type R is a test mule/test bed for the new engine for the accord, as Mazdaspeed6 was just a test bed for the CX7. At 34k, Honda isn't losing money on the R.
No one knows this unless you're a top exec at Honda.

And it's possible that Honda could make the CTR at a loss in order to gain market exposure. Just look at F1.

The CTR project was approved because it would help the company's bottom line, either or directly or indirectly. That's the only statement we can assume is true.

UnknownCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR SGP, Mercedes-Benz 2014 C250
Country flag
Don't forget the petition that 25000 people signed

maaaaackle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Limited doesnt always mean hard to get. Be patient. Hell you can walk in to a acura dealer and pick up a new limited NSX for 20k under sticker.
Well the reason why is because the new NSX is $180,000. I'm willing to bet that less than 2% of the population has that kind of disposable income.

The Type R on the other hand is maybe...what...$40k with markups? People can afford that.

I dont even know what my point is. lol

Fazzster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord 2.0T Sport Manual, 2020 Odyssey EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Although this topic is covered in other threads, here is my reiterated argument; I know many base their theory on past iterations of the CTR (which is logical) but we live in a different time with different market dynamics. I really think the CTR will be produced in greater numbers and will be treated as another "trim level" in the manner that VW does with Golf R and Subaru does with WRX STI. There is every indication the Swindon plant is up to the task. I also don't think the Type R is some sort of halo car where Honda loses money for the sake showcasing their engineering prowess. Being a Civic, there is plenty of profit for Honda already in the platform. So, wait a year or two when things calm down. I am certain there will be more CTR's on the dealer lots. By then, a new Focus will be out as will a new STI and who know what else that will steal attention away from the CTR.
Sponsored