Will the civic ever get the recognition it deserves?

EastBayCivic

First Name
DerekZoolander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
The civic just typically isn't the type of car that is used to impress regular people. Surprise them, sure; but impress them by telling them you have a civic? Nah.

You may impress people who have an appreciation for cars, but you are more likely to find people who are only impressed by luxurious and/or fast cars with lots of brand recognition.

Another angle I have on this one has a lot to do with the type of setting that people and their cars are observed in. I live in a metro area where there are 7 million people, so everyone is pretty anonymous when it comes to what car they drive. This means little to no car hate/praise besides what people think to themselves when they see your car in traffic.

I feel that the car dick-swinging contests and shit talking are a lot more intense in smaller communities where people see each other in/around their cars more often. I sure saw that happen when I lived in a rural-ish area for a little while.
Sponsored

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
The only reason someone would say that to you is because they are trying to hurt your feelings. He's got some past beef with Civics for some reason, so he's taking it out on you.

We all know where the Civic stands compared to other cars in the price range. Yes, it is on the lower end of the scale when looking at overall new car prices ranging from 15k - 250k... but expensive does not equal reliability (which is basically the universal scale for judging a cars value).

I'd rather drive a cheap POS than an expensive POS.

Don't worry about him. He probably drives a Charger.
A V6 charger at that

b4gel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si sedan
Country flag
It's an economy car. They sell hundreds of thousands a year. They're ubiquitous, reliable, and for the most part slow. For people lacking in self-confidence who need their vehicle to be a status symbol, it's not an appealing option. They'll be sure to let you know why, because that's how they navigate their life.

The 5th and 6th generation were reasonably priced, accessible used cars around the beginning of the "Fast and the Furious" era which made them the perfect template for shitty car modifications. They all had fartpipes on them which made everyone on the road hate you, not just car enthusiasts. People don't forget those times. The spoilers, splitters, decals, and other corny shit is definitely less common now, but some of the utterly tasteless modifications I see on CivicX on the regular gives me the fear. It makes me think that time is a flat circle.

Finally, the 10th generation might be the most grown up Civic yet, but to a lot of people, it definitely doesn't look that way. There is no consensus on the styling -- just as many people hate it as those who love it. If you're here, you probably love it. I mostly do, and don't find its styling that far out of bounds with the current trend of Japanese vehicles. But when compared to the styling of the 9th generation, which is basically Ambien in vehicle form, then sure, it does look over-styled.

neveronline

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current '19 CW CTR #23856 & '18 Accord 2.0T Previous - 2015 WRX, 1999 SI, '04 S2000, '08 Evo X, '10 SI sedan, '11 Fit Sport, '11 WRX, '13 ILX
Country flag
I don't say anything to haters... I just watch them get smaller and smaller in my rearview mirror :)

Honestly though that type of anti Civic attitude comes from two things... the cars last so long and are so heavily supported by the aftermarket that when they get cheap enough those with very little disposable income pick them up and mod them with cheap parts that break, sound loud and annoy people so it stereo types all of us.

the other is how popular they are, whenever something is that popular there is also going to be a lot of hate... I just do me and don't worry about other people and what they think unless those people matter ALOT to me

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone know if the regular civic and si will ever not be looked down upon due to the stereotypes associated with it? 10th gen seemed to change a lot of people’s minds but I got a comment the other day about how my car was a cheap pos and I didn’t really have a response to that. What do you guys say to haters?
You can't fight stupid, and you can't fix ignorance. I have owned a couple of dozen cars over the years, and driven many, many more. Right next to my SI is a Lexus with rear wheel drive, 325 ft.lbs. of torque, etc. Guess which car I like to drive best. Yup, the SI. I could give a rats ass what anyone else thinks, and neither should you. Everyone gets to vote with their wallet. Unless they are buying you the car, they get no say. The 10th gen Civics are amazing. The SI really amazing. People love to rag on cars they have never driven. Okay, so maybe you can fix ignorance with a test drive. I thought I wanted a new WRX or Focus RS. Because all wheel drive and huge power. Then one look at the SI, one test drive and I was sold. 30,000 miles later no regrets.

Oh, and a lot of the so called 'cool' car brands don't hold up over time. And are often not as well engineered. And drive like trucks. And have crap resale.

So you are not cheap. You are just smart. But wait, the 10th gen Civics are actually a blast to drive, so you are also very, very cool.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Also the if you bought a 3 series or c class cla,etc you'd get shit from the 5 series and e class owners for "cheapening" the brand so youll never win...just enjoy it. haters usually have problems being inadequate I should say

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
Also the if you bought a 3 series or c class cla,etc you'd get shit from the 5 series and e class owners for "cheapening" the brand so youll never win...just enjoy it. haters usually have problems being inadequate I should say
That's better than having the fast and furious rep.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
I feel that the car dick-swinging contests and shit talking are a lot more intense in smaller communities where people see each other in/around their cars more often. I sure saw that happen when I lived in a rural-ish area for a little while.
Haha sounds like rural northern MI. If you're a guy and don't drive a truck and don't deer hunt you are not one of the cool people.

AhabSnake

First Name
Elie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic vti s Luxe
Country flag
Well in australia the civic has been increasing in sales. Globally i think too. And have not heard any bad comments. I am noticing alot of the hatch backs , but i opted for the sedan, without any rear spoiler, is more eye catching.
Sponsored