Will my ride quality suffer with lighter wheels?

raynist

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Cosmic Blue Civic EX-T Manual
Country flag
Thinking of getting PF01’s in 17x7.5 to replace my stock wheels on my 2018 EX-T.

I don’t want ride quality to suffer.

Has anyone gone to a much lighter wheel and noticed a difference.

I am keeping my stock tires.

Thanks!
Ray
Sponsored

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Lighter wheels shouldn't have much impact on ride quality. I suppose a heavier wheel dampens bumps some, but that's mostly a guess. I wouldn't worry about it. I had PF01's on my old WRX and I LOVED those wheels. I was sad to sell them. I feel like on most cars at stock or +1 sizing they look way better than RPF01's.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I did go much lighter than stock...if my math is correct I lost 13lbs per wheel and tire. You definitely notice in in all categories. It does ride rougher only because it has a similar effect to increasing spring rate. The "resonance" has increased a decent amount (road noise). Everywhere it helped with the "performance" side of things.

Last edited:

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
There is no benefit whatever of heavier wheels. Wheels should be as light as possible.
There is a benefit to larger wheels, but obviously larger wheels will be heavier if they are made the same way.
So the best wheels would be very large and almost weightless. Like bicycle racing wheels, but for cars they would need to be a little wider.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
So the best wheels would be very large and almost weightless. Like bicycle racing wheels, but for cars they would need to be a little wider.
So if these wheels were super light, this would be ideal? :p

Honda Civic 10th gen Will my ride quality suffer with lighter wheels? Donk-on-Forgiatos-With-JL-Audio-System-by-Dreamworksmotorsports-3

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
^Exactly.
Of course, the car wouldn't necessarily have to sit so high.

There are two separate issues:
----> sprung vs. unsprung mass for sticking to the road - not so relevant for smooth roads
----> rotating vs. nonrotating mass for best acceleration/breaking (dynamics) [I meant braking :rofl:]

Formula 1 is changing to bigger wheels; of course the reason is mainly marketing. The point is that the impact on performance is not great because the Formula 1 tires are already light enough and large enough and there are additional air resistance issues because they are very wide.

Bigger wheels have a potentially greater momentum, but they turn slower, so the two effects partially cancel. If all the mass was located at the circumference, there would be no difference for kinetics (acceleration) because the speed at the circumference is equal to road speed, regardless of the wheel size. If the tire is light and skinny, the big wheels may actually carry less kinetic energy of rotation.

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/formula-1-pushing-for-bigger-wheels-in-2021-1044392/3115713/

Last edited:
OP
OP

raynist

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I did go much lighter than stock...if my math is correct I lost 13lbs per wheel and tire. You definitely notice in in all categories. It does ride rougher only because it has a similar effect to increasing spring rate. The "resonance" has increased a decent amount (road noise). Everywhere it helped with the "performance" side of things.
Thanks

I love the way the car rides right now - it soaks up the bumps from our crappy PA roads very nicely.

90% of the reason I got rid of my 2015 Honda Fit was because of the stiff ride the way I felt every bump and crack in the road - maybe I shouldn’t do it.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Thanks

I love the way the car rides right now - it soaks up the bumps from our crappy PA roads very nicely.

90% of the reason I got rid of my 2015 Honda Fit was because of the stiff ride the way I felt every bump and crack in the road - maybe I shouldn’t do it.
If I could do it again I would have left stock on and just switched wheels and tires for only autocross days.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Thanks

My wife has a 2016 Fit EX (CVT) that is primarily her grocery-getter, currently has about 7k on it. Last May, to put some highway miles on it, I drove it to Dayton Ohio from Harrisburg Pa. At the time, my daily driver was a 2016 Civic EX-L Coupe, so it was an interesting comparison. Once adjusted, seat comfort was fine and I was really surprised at what a pleasant driver it was, much quieter and smoother than I expected for a 900 mile round trip, 95% interstate in varying conditions. Tires were the factory Firestones pressure set to 35psi before the trip, I averaged about 44mpg overall for the entire trip. Perhaps there were some changes from 15/16, but even in comparison to my Civic, the Fit was a pleasant experience for me. The only real drawback for me was the mediocre sound system and no XM radio.

OP
OP

raynist

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If I could do it again I would have left stock on and just switched wheels and tires for only autocross days.
Thanks - I was only looking at those wheels because I like they way they look and are lighter - figured it could help acceleration and MPG but I am not willing to give up ride quality.

Thanks for your help!

OP
OP

raynist

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My wife has a 2016 Fit EX (CVT) that is primarily her grocery-getter, currently has about 7k on it. Last May, to put some highway miles on it, I drove it to Dayton Ohio from Harrisburg Pa. At the time, my daily driver was a 2016 Civic EX-L Coupe, so it was an interesting comparison. Once adjusted, seat comfort was fine and I was really surprised at what a pleasant driver it was, much quieter and smoother than I expected for a 900 mile round trip, 95% interstate in varying conditions. Tires were the factory Firestones pressure set to 35psi before the trip, I averaged about 44mpg overall for the entire trip. Perhaps there were some changes from 15/16, but even in comparison to my Civic, the Fit was a pleasant experience for me. The only real drawback for me was the mediocre sound system and no XM radio.
Mine was an EX CVT also - with the short wheelbase I could feel every bump in the road plus it was very small for me at 6’3” and 230.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I think lighter wheels are a smart move. Better handling, acceleration and MPG. Two keys to help maintain near stock quality ride quality are:

1. Don't go too low profile on the tires.
2. For street use, go lighter but not insanely so. Super lightweight wheels are more track than street friendly.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Mine was an EX CVT also - with the short wheelbase I could feel every bump in the road plus it was very small for me at 6’3” and 230.
Could be the difference, I'm 5'9" & 200 lbs, the Fit isn't a good "fit" if you're over 6'. Ours will get some Michelins next, the Firestones aren't the ideal tires for the Fit! Adequate, but very mediocre. Factory supplied tires are usually disappointing.

OP
OP

raynist

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I will use my stock tires so maybe that would be a difference between my situation and PowerPerLiter?
I think lighter wheels are a smart move. Better handling, acceleration and MPG. Two keys to help maintain near stock quality ride quality are:

1. Don't go too low profile on the tires.
2. For street use, go lighter but not insanely so. Super lightweight wheels are more track than street friendly.
Sponsored