Will it affect my Civic warranty in California?

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hello Guys I have a doubt
I live in california
I just started upgrading my 18 civic hatch
With aftermarket parts such as
Using PRL intercooler and Cobra CAI
Would this avoid my civic warranty?
Havent done any tune yet
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
If you have a problem, take it in to the dealership under warrantee to be fixed, and they crack the hood and see those bolt on modifications, they will immediately blame them for the problem. They’ll use that as an excuse not to do the work for free under warrantee.

Remove those mods, put the stock shit back on before you bring it to the dealership, you should have no problem.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also, people on here have reported that some aftermarket CAIs have caused problems without a custom tune. Just something to be aware of. It can throw fuel trims off.

OP
OP
Israel

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you have a problem, take it in to the dealership under warrantee to be fixed, and they crack the hood and see those bolt on modifications, they will immediately blame them for the problem. They’ll use that as an excuse not to do the work for free under warrantee.

Remove those mods, put the stock shit back on before you bring it to the dealership, you should have no problem.
Would they take a note my car has been Mod?
Since I take my Car to the Dealer for Oil changes

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Would they take a note my car has been Mod?
Since I take my Car to the Dealer for Oil changes
I don’t think they care to be that nosey about customers cars. If it is a big dealership, i doubt they keep tabs on what customers are doing to their vehicles. They don’t have time for that. There is probably a law against it.

But if you take it to be fixed and they see those mods, it’s an easy way for them to deny coverage on drivetrain related issues.

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
As a mechanic that worked at dealerships really it depends on the dealership. I keep my stock parts so If I have to take it in for warranty work I flip all the parts back to stock and flash the factory tune on it.

that being said they cannot deny a claim just because you modified your car unless they can prove that the issue is related to or caused by your modifications. i.e. If you have a CAI or Aftermarket inter cooler and you throw a airbag code or something they would have to honer the claim. If its a problem with the engine they may try and tell you its due to the mods and some will make you bring it back in stock config other may even tell you your SOL because you moded or tuned your car. they get audited by corporate for every warranty job they do form time to time and if they cannot justify why they had to honer a claim and fix the car then corporate can decline to pay the dealer which is super messed up IMO.

I suggest you call around to different dealerships, ask to speak with the service manger and just ask hey what is the deal if I buy a new car and Mod it what is your policy on warranty work on modified cars that are under factory warranty see what they say. Some are mellow about it and will fix it unless its Obvious the mod broke the car while others will not even touch a modded car.

OP
OP
Israel

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As a mechanic that worked at dealerships really it depends on the dealership. I keep my stock parts so If I have to take it in for warranty work I flip all the parts back to stock and flash the factory tune on it.

that being said they cannot deny a claim just because you modified your car unless they can prove that the issue is related to or caused by your modifications. i.e. If you have a CAI or Aftermarket inter cooler and you throw a airbag code or something they would have to honer the claim. If its a problem with the engine they may try and tell you its due to the mods and some will make you bring it back in stock config other may even tell you your SOL because you moded or tuned your car. they get audited by corporate for every warranty job they do form time to time and if they cannot justify why they had to honer a claim and fix the car then corporate can decline to pay the dealer which is super messed up IMO.

I suggest you call around to different dealerships, ask to speak with the service manger and just ask hey what is the deal if I buy a new car and Mod it what is your policy on warranty work on modified cars that are under factory warranty see what they say. Some are mellow about it and will fix it unless its Obvious the mod broke the car while others will not even touch a modded car.
Do you know of any Mod friendly dealer? Im from california too

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Do you know of any Mod friendly dealer? Im from california too
Like I said it really depends I would just call ahead and they don’t even use your real name just be like hey I’m thinking about buying a new civic and I really want to you know by something that I can make my own and modify want your guys policy if I do modify it if I have warranty issues down the road to see what they say if they’re like right off the bat no way if you modify the car that’s on you then they’re probably not Mod friendly If they’re more like well that depends on the modification and the circumstances then that’s gonna be a better option

I mean in all honesty if you bought the car like if you throw a tune on there and it’s going to be shooting 25-30 psi of boost through the engine and you blow out a piston ring or break I don’t know the connecting rod or something that’s just kind of a risk you take if you’re going to modify your car but if you’re going to be doing stuff like cold air intakes and what not you don’t have too much to worry about there’s not many dealerships that would tell you because of a cold air intake that an engine problem you’re having is not covered.

OP
OP
Israel

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Like I said it really depends I would just call ahead and they don’t even use your real name just be like hey I’m thinking about buying a new civic and I really want to you know by something that I can make my own and modify want your guys policy if I do modify it if I have warranty issues down the road to see what they say if they’re like right off the bat no way if you modify the car that’s on you then they’re probably not Mod friendly If they’re more like well that depends on the modification and the circumstances then that’s gonna be a better option

I mean in all honesty if you bought the car like if you throw a tune on there and it’s going to be shooting 25-30 psi of boost through the engine and you blow out a piston ring or break I don’t know the connecting rod or something that’s just kind of a risk you take if you’re going to modify your car but if you’re going to be doing stuff like cold air intakes and what not you don’t have too much to worry about there’s not many dealerships that would tell you because of a cold air intake that an engine problem you’re having is not covered.
True, mine has for Now Only the CAI and the intercooler No tune yet to the ECU
Sponsored