R MODE

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R Championship White
Country flag
If you did those treatments to a CTR, the curb weight would be ~2800 pounds and it would absolutely wallop the Megane.

Hehehe, you used "wallop" in a sentence, fantastic, have not seen that for ages. Good on ya mate!
Sponsored

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
When I was in Europe last summer, I saw exactly two Mégane RSs, across three countries. Poland, Germany and Spain. And one of them was at a dealership, in the show room. The odds someone even sees one of the RS Trophy Rs out in the wild is probably 0.00001%.

Don't get me wrong. I love the regular Mégane RS. It looks awesome up close and would be a cool competitor here in North America, though more in line with the Veloster N due to the lower HP number. If I lived in Europe, I'd be looking to getting into an RS for sure.

I'm not really sure what the point of such an expensive RS is, though. Who actually buys it? I can't imagine anyone spending over 80k USD on such a car. Hell, no one even wants to pay 45k USD for the CTR here (rightfully so, lol).

The other funny thing is, you can buy a brand new CTR, swap tires and put a tune on it and it'll slay the Trophy R. I don't generally like making modded car comparisons to OEM cars, but let's be honest- there's nothing really OEM about the Trophy R.

Valkyria90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 Sedan 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
Is it just me, or does does it bother anyone else that the Megane driver cuts a lot of corners and almost gets all 4 wheels into the grass at some point?
Especially at 0:50, 1:20 and 2:30. I'm don't know the rules for a qualified lap, but surely that can't be far of from a disqualified lap? Not that it matters because I would take a Type R over a Megane any day and in any situation :)

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Exactly. Honda just has to offer that as an option. That's all Honda needs to do to make the haters stop saying "the tires are not stock."
Leon Cupra had MPSC2s for its ring run IIRC, but they did sell it as a package so Nobody could say anything about it.

Renault has been doing 2 seater racecar for their Megane RS for generations, but I think they did put too much stuff on it this time lol
I guess they had to.
But carbon Wheels on a hot hatch? Really?

Yes, it's less impressive but all I'm saying is it's not "Cheating" and it still counts.
CTR is still the fastest "mass produced" FWD vehicle on the ring.
Arent the MPSC2 meh for the streets as it takes a while for it to warm up?

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
Exactly. Honda just has to offer that as an option. That's all Honda needs to do to make the haters stop saying "the tires are not stock."
Leon Cupra had MPSC2s for its ring run IIRC, but they did sell it as a package so Nobody could say anything about it.

Renault has been doing 2 seater racecar for their Megane RS for generations, but I think they did put too much stuff on it this time lol
I guess they had to.
But carbon Wheels on a hot hatch? Really?

Yes, it's less impressive but all I'm saying is it's not "Cheating" and it still counts.
CTR is still the fastest "mass produced" FWD vehicle on the ring.
It's certainly an impressive technical achievement, but the price just got a bit too bonkers as a result. I have to imagine the carbon wheels and brakes are adding $20k or more to the price of the car.

I would definitely not disagree with anyone who wants a "Nurburgring package" or something similar on the Type R with stickier tires, smaller/lighter wheels, and other weight reductions/cooling improvements. If you could get the curb weight of a CTR down under 3,000 pounds with better cooling and tires, it would easily go sub-7:40.

Arent the MPSC2 meh for the streets as it takes a while for it to warm up?
I daily drive with them. They're fine. To be honest, there is not a huge difference between MPSC2 and MPS4S in everyday driving. The MPSC2 probably aquaplane a bit easier, but in terms of noise and overall performance, they are pretty similar.

MPSC2 definitely have more grip when you push the car though - it's noticeable over the stock tires - probably 2-3 seconds per lap over a 90 second lap. And they last longer than the stock tires too.
Sponsored