Will dealer swap out OEM for winters prior to taking delivery?

Olmsteez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EXT Hatch
Country flag
We're taking delivery on a Hatch EXT on Monday and our sales person is "checking" on the possibility of having the OEM no seasons swapped out for a set of winter tires. Has anyone successfully done this? Did you end up paying more?
Sponsored

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
In my opinion it just fudges up the numbers on the deal. The dealership tells you they'll thrown in winter tires 'for free' and let's be honest, they cost someone money and your deal would've been less costly if you went the seperate route.

With that being said, the dealer will swap your tires out during the PDI but personally, I'd buy the tires I want, install them through my own means and have separate numbers for the car, tires, labour.

OP
OP

Olmsteez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EXT Hatch
Country flag
Thanks for the negotiating thoughts. My goal is not to end up with a set of all season tires and I'd rather have the OEM wheels with the winter rubber on them. That way I can buy a nicer wheel for the summer combo. Can't have my wife on steelies. ;) The price has already been set for the car and I know what winter tires cost. So, it's pretty easy calculus.

Ohmcrazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-L Coupe 2011 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
That would be a nice deal if they do it but depends on what tires they are putting on. Blizzaks or similar are pretty pricey. If so are you paying the incremental extra cost for the winter tires over stocks? Do you keep the OE rubber? As noted you will probably be better off taking the car to a good tire shop afterwards and having a set installed. Unless you can negotiate the labor cost as part of the car deal, you'll end up paying dealer rates for the switch. I wanted the 17" accessory wheels for my 2017 EXL but they quoted me $1,400 installed!!! I said no thanks and did cash and carry for $875 (which is basically what you can get the same set for on the net except I saved the shipping costs). Plan is to take the car to a reputable tire shop and have winters put on the fugly stock fan blade looking wheels and the OE rubber on the acc wheels.

OP
OP

Olmsteez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EXT Hatch
Country flag
I have a set of Blizzaks in the cart on TR... I guess the benefit of buying the winter tires and wheels is that I can save a little on the winters by getting 16s. Tires and some really nice closeout wheels is $840 plus shipping. I'll post an update tomorrow after I hear back from the Honda store.

OP
OP

Olmsteez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EXT Hatch
Country flag
Below is the reply from the Honda store. Now, I feel obligated to tell anyone reading this that my friend is the owner of the store and I truly get rock bottom, no BS pricing. As evidence of this arrangement, Tirerack wants just under $500 for the same tires (without shipping or mounting)!

Hi Marc,

I appreciate the reminder. I spoke to both Mike and the Parts manager. Unfortunately we can’t swap the two sets of tires, but we could get you snow tires and let you keep the OEM ones for the spring but have the snows mounted and balanced for pick up.

The ones we could get you are Yokahama Ice Guard and for the 4 to be mounted and balanced you’d be looking at $395 plus tax.

Let me know if you’d like us to put those on and put the others in the back.
Sponsored