Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
Coupes tend to be heavy because of the size of their doors and the extra support needed to hold up and stabilize those huge doors. It ends up eating any potential weight savings compared to the sedan which has 2 extra doors but those doors are smaller and lighter. Depending on how much smaller the 10th coupe is compared to the sedan it could get a weight advantage just not having as much plastic and sheet metal, but historically the coupe and sedan have always been very close in size and weight.
The coupe's doors weights might each be heavier than the ones on the sedan, but the sedan has 4 of them compared to the coupe's 2 doors. So that's probably a wash in terms of weight (if not actually heavier on the sedans in total). Structurally coupes and sedans are so similar that's why they always almost weigh within 50 pounds of each other. They're also engineered that way so both sedan and coupe can keep the same front-to-rear weight ratio.

That said, i could definitely see models like the Touring and even the Si models cresting the 3000 mark, which isn't uncommon in the compact class these days, especially given the raised level of comfort and quiet honda is striving for, you almost have to class the civic closer to models like the ILX and Golf/A3 which weight is forgiven for the extra sophistication and refinement. However, i do expect the base models (LX and EX and EX-T) to remain JUST under the 3000 mark even if only by a couple hundred pounds.
Considering the cars will be bit bigger and have more technology and safety, I'd be happy if the base models hit 2800 pounds.
Sponsored