civvie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Learn something new everyday. So the only Civic that Europe gets is the hatchback? Will it stay that way for the 10th gen too?
Sponsored

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Learn something new everyday. So the only Civic that Europe gets is the hatchback? Will it stay that way for the 10th gen too?
Most likely... maybe they'll get the sedan, but i don't foresee it. Honda's don't sell as well in the UK because they're considered overpriced for what you get on the car, so they'll probably keep the best selling one only for that market. Small coupes that aren't luxury models don't sell anywhere except the US, and most people in the UK and Europe want hatches instead of sedans because they offer more usable cargo space.

Tegster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Integra (Tafetta White)
Most likely... maybe they'll get the sedan, but i don't foresee it. Honda's don't sell as well in the UK because they're considered overpriced for what you get on the car, so they'll probably keep the best selling one only for that market. Small coupes that aren't luxury models don't sell anywhere except the US, and most people in the UK and Europe want hatches instead of sedans because they offer more usable cargo space.
Yea and smaller cars like hatches are more popular there because it's more cramped and streets are smaller.

Tap Out

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 CRV
Anyone know if there's any significant weight difference between the 3 current models?

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yea and smaller cars like hatches are more popular there because it's more cramped and streets are smaller.
Hatches are extremely popular in Canada. I wouldn't be surprised to see the new Civic hatch outsell the coupe here. Only issue could be supply.

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No doubt the hatch will be smaller than the sedan. Here is the current sedan and hatch compared:

Wheelbase 2,595 mm (102.2 in) (hatchback)
2,670 mm (105.1 in) (sedan and hybrid)
2,620 mm (103.1 in) (coupe)

Length
4,300 mm (169.3 in) (hatchback)
4,525 mm (178.1 in) (sedan and hybrid)
4,472 mm (176.1 in) (coupe)

About 9 inches shorter than the sedan so unless there is some bonkers homologation of different body styles, we shouldn't have anything to worry about as far as the hatchback looking like a minivan.
Ouch, this would make the Civic hatchback almost identical to the HRV. 102.2 vs 102.75 and 169.3 vs 169.1 That's not necessarily a bad thing as we find our HRV comfortable. Personally think I would like a bit more wheelbase to go with the added power. Seeing it for real will tell the story.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ouch, this would make the Civic hatchback almost identical to the HRV. 102.2 vs 102.75 and 169.3 vs 169.1 That's not necessarily a bad thing as we find our HRV comfortable. Personally think I would like a bit more wheelbase to go with the added power. Seeing it for real will tell the story.
Well the current hatch and HRV ride on the same Fit platform... so they would be very similar in size. However the new hatch will ride on the new platform, which should actually give it a larger footprint. in both width and some length.

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
Anyone know if there's any significant weight difference between the 3 current models?
Coupe and sedan weights are virtually identical. The slightly different wheelbase and size don't make much of a weight difference.

Coupe: 2,595–2,778 lbs
Sedan: 2,608–2,800 lbs

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
Coupe and sedan weights are virtually identical. The slightly different wheelbase and size don't make much of a weight difference.

Si Sedan - 3002
Si Coupe - 3002

These according to Honda's website.

H_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Si
Would be real nice if the 2016 model somehow magically dipped under 3000 pound mark again. I can't see it happening for the fully decked out models but maybe for the stripped down base models?

Red Traveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion

Wow that is surprising to me. Is it a testament to how they were able to keep weight virtually same even after adding two extra doors/longer wheelbase or is it a missed opportunity to shed some weight in the coupe? Thoughts?

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe

Si Sedan - 3002
Si Coupe - 3002

These according to Honda's website.
So there's a 200 pound difference between the 9th gen regular and Si models? Or are one of these stats wrong.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow that is surprising to me. Is it a testament to how they were able to keep weight virtually same even after adding two extra doors/longer wheelbase or is it a missed opportunity to shed some weight in the coupe? Thoughts?
Coupes tend to be heavy because of the size of their doors and the extra support needed to hold up and stabilize those huge doors. It ends up eating any potential weight savings compared to the sedan which has 2 extra doors but those doors are smaller and lighter. Depending on how much smaller the 10th coupe is compared to the sedan it could get a weight advantage just not having as much plastic and sheet metal, but historically the coupe and sedan have always been very close in size and weight.

That said, i could definitely see models like the Touring and even the Si models cresting the 3000 mark, which isn't uncommon in the compact class these days, especially given the raised level of comfort and quiet honda is striving for, you almost have to class the civic closer to models like the ILX and Golf/A3 which weight is forgiven for the extra sophistication and refinement. However, i do expect the base models (LX and EX and EX-T) to remain JUST under the 3000 mark even if only by a couple hundred pounds.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So there's a 200 pound difference between the 9th gen regular and Si models? Or are one of these stats wrong.
These are according to the Honda website specs. I'm sure the extra features, heavier underpinnings and the larger 2.4 engine would easily contribute around 200 pounds of weight. Take into account the larger 18 alloy wheels, larger brakes, spoiler, heavier sport cloth on the seats. It's the little things that add up.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
These are according to the Honda website specs. I'm sure the extra features, heavier underpinnings and the larger 2.4 engine would easily contribute around 200 pounds of weight. Take into account the larger 18 alloy wheels, larger brakes, spoiler, heavier sport cloth on the seats. It's the little things that add up.
Also the LSD on the Si.
Sponsored