Why is the bottom of the K20C1 engine like this?

stevescivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type-R, 1990 CRX Si
Country flag
What is the cutout for in the oil pan? Almost looks like a picture of an exhaust gasket in the middle of the circle section.

Honda Civic 10th gen Why is the bottom of the K20C1 engine like this? WTF is This
Sponsored

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What is the cutout for in the oil pan? Almost looks like a picture of an exhaust gasket in the middle of the circle section.

WTF is This.png
Not sure but be on the lookout for your downpipe. Looks like it doesn’t have the factory flange style where it meets the front pipe. Prone to failure in that area without the support.

OP
OP
stevescivic

stevescivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
aww man, why can't our CTRs have that same functionality?

I wish Honda would give us the option to purchase or add on these items akin to how we can add in things like ambient lighting AFTER the fact. They could so add the firmware/software to support the sensors/features and consumers would simply have to add that in after the fact at their expense (if the goal is to keep costs in check to the market the car is being sold in).

OP
OP
stevescivic

stevescivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That isn’t my car. It was
Not sure but be on the lookout for your downpipe. Looks like it doesn’t have the factory flange style where it meets the front pipe. Prone to failure in that area without the support.
That is a snapshot of someone else’s pic after they installed a downpipe on their car. Mine is bone stock still. I just used their image for reference since it was so clear.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
I can somewhat understand the lack of leaving the electronic items like collision detection, etc off North American cars to keep the price down but seeing it's a performance oriented car it's kind of unforgivable they would remove the oil temp sensor for our market. IMO on a turbocharged car oil temperature is the most beneficial measurement you can have. Oil pressure is nice to have but an idiot light can somewhat suffice because all you really care about is that your oil pressure is normal. With oil temp. indication you can tell when your oil is sufficiently warm to start driving aggressively and it's also provides great feedback when driving hard on a track. I'm willing to bet most owners would gladly accept another couple hundred bucks added to MSRP to have this available.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
I can somewhat understand the lack of leaving the electronic items like collision detection, etc off North American cars to keep the price down but seeing it's a performance oriented car it's kind of unforgivable they would remove the oil temp sensor for our market. IMO on a turbocharged car oil temperature is the most beneficial measurement you can have. Oil pressure is nice to have but an idiot light can somewhat suffice because all you really care about is that your oil pressure is normal. With oil temp. indication you can tell when your oil is sufficiently warm to start driving aggressively and it's also provides great feedback when driving hard on a track. I'm willing to bet most owners would gladly accept another couple hundred bucks added to MSRP to have this available.
Majority of FK8 owners won’t care about an oil temp IMO. You’re a minority.

I don’t think it’s a matter of cost. Even the NSX doesn’t have an oil temp gauge if I recall corerectly.

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Quick, Someone do a parts list.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
Majority of FK8 owners won’t care about an oil temp IMO. You’re a minority.

I don’t think it’s a matter of cost. Even the NSX doesn’t have an oil temp gauge if I recall corerectly.
So I guess Europeans are more attentive drivers because Honda thought enough to give it to them. Unless you think most people bought these cars to solely pick up groceries I would expect most FK8 owners would in fact care about oil temp. If you don't care about oil temp I would question why you bought the car over an Si.
Sponsored