Why is Hondata so stingy with improvements to the 1.5 base turbo CVT tunes?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Let's get this out of the way first. I own a Hondata CARB Flashpro and it's very easy to use. Works well. Intuitive. Overall, I'm happy with it. But I also don't understand why the base tunes and feature set for us CVT owners has barely changed in the two years since it was introduced on the market. Case in point, Ktuner's quick adjustments and enables versus Hondata's new "modifications". Finally, Hondata decided to release something similar and user friendly like those Ktuner quick adjustments. But only for the Si.

I had a phone chat with Doug from Hondata a while back and asked specifically about the increased throttle response mod. Asked if it would affect the CARB parameters. He said no. He said he didn't see why it couldn't be added to the tune for my car (2017 EX-L CVT). Mentioned that they'd see about getting it added to the next release. Well, two releases later, nothing.

I get it, Hondata is ultra conservative because of the CVT. But, if Ktuner can offer all these drivability adjustments for the CVT, why can't Hondata? It just feels like Hondata sometimes just moves on to the next big thing... Si, Type R etc,. and forgets about the other people who forked over 500-700 dollars for their product.

Just some constructive criticism from a Hondata user, owner and supporter.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been wanting just quicker ramp since I got my Flashpro... Sadly still waiting. For the record I'm the guy who bent a con rod with running my own tune with 27psi Flashpro, the engine broke before the transmission.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've been wanting just quicker ramp since I got my Flashpro... Sadly still waiting. For the record I'm the guy who bent a con rod with running my own tune with 27psi Flashpro, the engine broke before the transmission.
27psi is really high. I added a couple psi to my +6 tune today and was seeing 22-23 psi max on the datalog I ran. The datalog numbers seem fine. But reading your post now I'm a little nervous. You think 22-23psi should be OK in terms of the connecting rods? What kind of torque numbers were you running?

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
27psi is really high. I added a couple psi to my +6 tune today and was seeing 22-23 psi max on the datalog I ran. The datalog numbers seem fine. But reading your post now I'm a little nervous. You think 22-23psi should be OK in terms of the connecting rods? What kind of torque numbers were you running?
Almost exactly the same as you, mine maybe came on a bit sooner didn't hit more than 275. It was dead of winter, so dense ass air, you should be fine at 22-23. I had also advanced the ignition by a couple degrees, so i'm sure pre-ignition contributed. Make sure your short term fuel trim is withing +/ - 10%.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Let's get this out of the way first. I own a Hondata CARB Flashpro and it's very easy to use. Works well. Intuitive. Overall, I'm happy with it. But I also don't understand why the base tunes and feature set for us CVT owners has barely changed in the two years since it was introduced on the market. Case in point, Ktuner's quick adjustments and enables versus Hondata's new "modifications". Finally, Hondata decided to release something similar and user friendly like those Ktuner quick adjustments. But only for the Si.

I had a phone chat with Doug from Hondata a while back and asked specifically about the increased throttle response mod. Asked if it would affect the CARB parameters. He said no. He said he didn't see why it couldn't be added to the tune for my car (2017 EX-L CVT). Mentioned that they'd see about getting it added to the next release. Well, two releases later, nothing.

I get it, Hondata is ultra conservative because of the CVT. But, if Ktuner can offer all these drivability adjustments for the CVT, why can't Hondata? It just feels like Hondata sometimes just moves on to the next big thing... Si, Type R etc,. and forgets about the other people who forked over 500-700 dollars for their product.

Just some constructive criticism from a Hondata user, owner and supporter.
250 wtq is the CVT limit for it's belt as tested by Hondata too lol. They broke their own CVT pushing it to see.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
250 wtq is the CVT limit for it's belt as tested by Hondata too lol. They broke their own CVT pushing it to see.
True but I'm not sure what that has to do with my post.:dunno:

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
True but I'm not sure what that has to do with my post.:dunno:
It's saying that CARB version of the Flashpro will basically not allow you to do anything lol but if you had the race version you could change whatever you want. CARB equals being limited to doing anything since day 1 lol

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's saying that CARB version of the Flashpro will basically not allow you to do anything lol but if you had the race version you could change whatever you want. CARB equals being limited to doing anything since day 1 lol
Actually not true. Just did a new tune based on the +6 where I upped boost to a little over 22psi and upped torque by 25. With the CARB. No, I can't do a full on tune but there is some adjustability.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Actually not true. Just did a new tune based on the +6 where I upped boost to a little over 22psi and upped torque by 25. With the CARB.
Yeah but you can compare to carb version vs race you are very limited in what you can do other's. Tuner's don't just adjust the boost and torque but ignition and everything else as well.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Actually not true. Just did a new tune based on the +6 where I upped boost to a little over 22psi and upped torque by 25. With the CARB. No, I can't do a full on tune but there is some adjustability.
Basically improving throttle and what not should theoretically be for race even though they tell you otherwise from what I see based on carb and race

Here’s what CVT Carb tune can adjust
Honda Civic 10th gen Why is Hondata so stingy with improvements to the 1.5 base turbo CVT tunes? 6CB56E2B-1FEE-494E-A91C-B9ADDBB3A62A

Here’s what race can do
Honda Civic 10th gen Why is Hondata so stingy with improvements to the 1.5 base turbo CVT tunes? 815AFBA3-8576-4691-8890-00FC80DA57E8

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I get that it’s simpler than the race version. Down the road I may switch to Ktuner but for now its certainly better than the stock tune.:) Not sure why you’re shitting on me for buying the CARB tune though.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I get that it’s simpler than the race version. Down the road I may switch to Ktuner but for now its certainly better than the stock tune.:) Not sure why you’re shitting on me for buying the CARB tune though.
Not shitting lol but why buy CARB in the first place? If you switch to Ktuner it's cool I have both anyways and your not going to pass smog or anything with it anyways unless you flash back to stock. All I am saying is Hondata get race lol you can get both CARB and Race tunes

l15b7allturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Not shitting lol but why buy CARB in the first place? If you switch to Ktuner it's cool I have both anyways and your not going to pass smog or anything with it anyways unless you flash back to stock. All I am saying is Hondata get race lol you can get both CARB and Race tunes
how about he does himself a favor and buy KTuner? Not trying to hate on Hondata but the way I perceive it, they love money.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
how about he does himself a favor and buy KTuner? Not trying to hate on Hondata but the way I perceive it, they love money.
Lol either way he should of chosen the Race version. Carb is pointless since the Race provides CARB tunes too