Why is Honda now using an Upper Front Strut Tower Support

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
I test drove a 2017 and spent a lot of time looking it over. I looked at this 2017 Hatch.

I was looking at the engine bay, and noticed that they are now using an upper support bracket on the strut tower. I asked around, and what I got was, improved suspension on the 17's. My 2016 does not have this bracket.

I had an issuee with a few loose strut bolts (fixed myself) and a crazy popping sound at times with driving up a driveway slow. Still got the popping

I was thinking on getting these from parts and adding them myself. Any opinions? From those that know suspension issues.

Honda Civic 10th gen Why is Honda now using an Upper Front Strut Tower Support IMG_0262.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
That is P/N 74185-TGG-A00 Front shock absorber base plate. It costs $3.19 per side so not much to lose by getting one.

IMO it probably acts like a crush washer in that it keeps the strut mounting bolts from loosening over time, as some have reported. I seriously doubt it ability to enhance performance though.

You could upgrade to TGG struts/shocks though. They're definitely stiffer than what the sedan/coupe gets.

OP
OP
Ben&Jen

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, just have to see if the strut mounting bolts are long enough for this plate. Also, do you think it adds the the structural reinforcement of the struts and ride. - Hey thanks. This popping over bumps sometimes is aggravating, not all the time, does not make me feel good.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
I don't think it will make a difference either way. The gen x chassis is very rigid, and a thin metal plate on the strut tower will not make a difference in ride quality or steering feel. You could paint them and add some color to your engine bay.

It sounds to me like you have a noisy bearing in one of your struts. Nothing to worry about unless you fell grinding/friction when you turn the wheel.

OP
OP
Ben&Jen

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone have this on the couple? Thanks

CivicLX2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
That is P/N 74185-TGG-A00 Front shock absorber base plate. It costs $3.19 per side so not much to lose by getting one.

IMO it probably acts like a crush washer in that it keeps the strut mounting bolts from loosening over time, as some have reported. I seriously doubt it ability to enhance performance though.

You could upgrade to TGG struts/shocks though. They're definitely stiffer than what the sedan/coupe gets.
Thanks for the parts number! I picked up a couple....figured it's a good idea since I have a SiriMoto strut tower ball installed....

Doing some research, I see that other manufacturers use these to prevent a mushrooming effect in the strut towers....see this link: https://blog.modbargains.com/bad-shrooms-stop-bmw-e46-strut-towers-mushrooming/

augustus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatch EX Lunar Silver
Country flag
out of curiosity, will adding these base plates or a strutbar necessitate an alignment?

CivicLX2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
out of curiosity, will adding these base plates or a strutbar necessitate an alignment?
I wouldn't think so, but I'm no expert

I didn't do alignment after adding strut tower bar, drives just a fine, true and straight

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
No need for alignment, as long as all 3 are evenly torqued as they were before.

You only need an alignment if the suspension geometry has changed, which these plates do not.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I think it's exclusive to the hatch. The Si doesn't have these either.

My only concern would be how much camber adjustment or play is possible at the strut attachment point. If minimal, no alignment should be required.

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
I am not enlightened on the subject myself but I really enjoy hearing about this exclusive piece on the hatch. I've always wondered in the 3 months I have had this hatch why does it like moving at all speeds, peculiarly at slow speeds is when it feels most agile but that may be a fallacy cause it just might be the same at high speeds, I don't know since the majority of time, I am driving right in this suspension's wheelhouse. Disprove my insanity.

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
I am not enlightened on the subject myself but I really enjoy hearing about this exclusive piece on the hatch. I've always wondered in the 3 months I have had this hatch why does it like moving at all speeds, peculiarly at slow speeds is when it feels most agile but that may be a fallacy cause it just might be the same at high speeds, I don't know since the majority of time, I am driving right in this suspension's wheelhouse. Disprove my insanity.
Tires