Why I traded in my Civic X Si

wopsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
I too was looking at the WRX when getting my Si, but I couldn’t fathom choosing that over the Si because the FA motor is weak, it’s crap. If it had a better motor, I’d probably do it up. Si is better in ever aspect except the one and only awd vs fwd but even then Honda really knows how to make a good chassis and they got the suspension down to a tee. Lot of these newer Honda’s specially the Si and Type R outperform a lot of awd competitors. Heck I’ve been in a full bolt on and tuned base civic with E85 blend with the upgraded clutch and there was virtually no torque steer, I was shocked. Also the Si imo has the best value for the money per out of factory. Also none of the competitors can come close to the reliability Honda can provide.
How is the wrx motor weak? For stock or modified?
Sponsored

burningoilagain

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I know for sure the WRX doesn't handle better then the Si. My friend has a full bolt on 2016 wrx and he himself said the Si feels much lighter. And you could have purchased your own summer tires that would be better performance wise then the mark up Honda is gonna sell you. Its true def about the clutch. But if your throwing some cash on your car and trying to make some good power then why not match it with a good performance clutch ? My friend is around 380whp on e75

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
How is the wrx motor weak? For stock or modified?
Both. I guess you would be okay babying it every day stock but who does that? Anyways. Let’s begin, Thin rod bearing which are bad on boosted applications, it’s meh okay on N/A. The FA is also open deck so that’s just disappointing because again bad for boosted cars, it’s a weak link. It should be a closed deck like the older EJ but they did it to help lower costs.. anything to lower costs.. if you want to turn up the power then you’ll need to build the engine and that’s just a fact now with a few years on the platform. Look this stuff up, I don’t need to list this all. It’s on the forums, there’s YouTube videos. If you really research the sport compact segment you’ll know the Si is pretty much on the top. No bias opinions.

wopsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Both. I guess you would be okay babying it every day stock but who does that? Anyways. Let’s begin, Thin rod bearing which are bad on boosted applications, it’s meh okay on N/A. The FA is also open deck so that’s just disappointing because again bad for boosted cars, it’s a weak link. It should be a closed deck like the older EJ but they did it to help lower costs.. anything to lower costs.. if you want to turn up the power then you’ll need to build the engine and that’s just a fact now with a few years on the platform. Look this stuff up, I don’t need to list this all. It’s on the forums, there’s YouTube videos. If you really research the sport compact segment you’ll know the Si is pretty much on the top. No bias opinions.
Reason I ask is I owned a 16 wrx for 2 years with no issues. Normal and spirited driving mixed. I don’t baby it too much. Engine still felt really strong and pulls hard the whole time I’ve owned it. Ive been on the wrx forums since I’ve owned the car. I know about the rods and I’ve also read that some guys were pushing 350 at the wheels with stock internals with no issues. I thought you may have owned a wrx and wondered why you said it was weak, yet the FA engine has proven to be more reliable than the EJ.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
Yeah I think my tuned wrx is plenty strong. Feels fine for me and I've never had an issue and I don't baby mine. I do regular maintenance though so maybe that is considered babying. I will say that the si most certainly feels lighter and more agile...because it is lighter and more agile but the wrx wandles good enough for me.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
in my almost 4 decades of being alive, ive never owned nor even driven any type of subaru to say that you made a good choice or not in my opinion. ive never even sat passenger in one. so i know shit about them.

if its a better overall performing car, and you can afford it, then more power to you (pun intended).

if youre old enough to remember, as tom vu once said, "you only live once, do t let your dreams slip away".

liquidbluesi

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I don't think Honda is marketing the Si to compete with the hardcore sportiest cars out there. It's not a stoplight drag racer for sure. But, if you ask me, Honda hit the sweet spot with the Si. It's an excellent combination of corner carving, gas mileage and pretty damn good acceleration at one helluva price.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

websitesdown

First Name
Bee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI , 2023 Civic Sport
Country flag
in my almost 4 decades of being alive, ive never owned nor even driven any type of subaru to say that you made a good choice or not in my opinion. ive never even sat passenger in one. so i know shit about them.

if its a better overall performing car, and you can afford it, then more power to you (pun intended).

if youre old enough to remember, as tom vu once said, "you only live once, do t let your dreams slip away".
I owned a subaru legacy 2005 sedan awd turbo for about 30 minutes and it blew up the top half of the engine because there was an inline filter that the dealer after replacing the turbo didn't replace which cost $15 at the time btw and so the cam and turbo were not getting oil to them... It also had a ring that was bad afterwards.

Yeah, never again sorry loved it for the thirty minutes that I was able to start it still and I drive it, not so much after that.

SixSpeeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Country flag
I had a 2016 WRX Limited 6MT, the engine was superior to the Si's imo, it had power everywhere and provided effortless thrust, it's a more serious engine out of the box. I think the overall driving experience is more fun in the Si though coming down to the significantly lower weight, it's a more tossable and nimble car compared to the WRX. The WRX lacked a certain amount of character which is hard to explain, it was fast but it didn't stir many emotions when driving it fast, it did it effortlessly with no drama (similar to a lot of sporty German cars), it felt almost robotic and boring. I find the Si more enjoyable and engaging to hustle around on twisty roads. The throttle tuning and clutch engagement also sucked imo compared to the Si stock for stock. Both have yawn inducing exhaust notes not at all appropriate for the segment/demographic of buyers.

Honda Civic 10th gen Why I traded in my Civic X Si hYGe0WI

MediumUnwell

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan, 2013 Civic EX-L, 2012 Odyssey EX-L (the wife's)
Country flag
So question for the OP (and yes i realize this post is a couple years old). It seemed like you traded up to the type R - how has that been. I have an SI tuned with tsp stage 1 and prl cobra cai (street maf). I like it but I kinda want to make the jump. Mostly for the extra hp and handling without having to mod or push the car to it's limits like I sometimes feel like I am doing to my Si. Couple things holding me back are $ - honestly I can afford it I just don't know if I want to. 2nd is agressive styling. I'm a 40 yo dad (what can I say - gotta own it). The wing on the type R is a bit much for me (yes I know it's functional - still is very loud). The si for me is kind of at the limit for me in terms of aggresiveness in styling. How have you liked the upgrade?
Sponsored