Why Honda might offer the Type R in AWD.

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Here is an example of why Honda might want to offer their future Type R's in both fwd and awd.
You simply can't put much more than 350hp efficiently through the front wheels, and forget about 700 or 800hp.
I love seeing a manual transmission 800hp Subaru easily pass a Nissan GTR...priceless.
Sponsored

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Here is an example of why Honda might want to offer their future Type R's in both fwd and awd.
You simply can't put much more than 350hp efficiently through the front wheels, and forget about 700 or 800hp.
Counterpoint

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR, 19 TLX
Country flag
CTR, Megane RS, and GTI will always be FWD because of the record attempt that they are spending tons of money on.
So I'm expecting Honda to call it something else IF AWD high performance civic really comes out in the future.

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They spent how much money to develop the FWD setup in the CTR to reduce or eliminate torque steer? Then to take it to a bunch of tracks to set FWD records?

Would seem a complete waste of time, effort, and money to just stick AWD in it.

That said, they're apparently putting the K20C1 in the '19 RDX so there's your AWD. I bet we see a sportier sedan or hatch with that same setup as a different Acura, just not with a Honda badge, much less a "Type R" badge.

nickjohn35

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2017 PMM Typer R. Former: 2004 350Z
Country flag
Was in at the dealership the other day and one of the service managers told me he heard a rumor Honda was going to offer a CTR with AWD that would have about 10-15 more HP and would only come in an automatic with paddle shifters. Again, just a "rumor". Honestly, it didn't really peak my interest.

nickjohn35

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2017 PMM Typer R. Former: 2004 350Z
Country flag
that is the most bullshit made up rumor ever.. might as well say they are going to put an adaptive wing and a panoramic roof while your at it.
Yeah... I walked away thinking the same thing...

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
The CTR AWD as much I love the idea will not happen. Get over it.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I honestly don't want the CTR in AWD, at least I don't think I do. I always liked my STi and the AWD was great, but the CTR is awesome, imo...don't need AWD and I don't drag race..soooo...

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
...you'd be buying a different car. Type R badge doesn't change that this is a Civic.
That would also be the case if it were AWD. But if they were to offer alternatives and since we're musing, I'm just saying RWD would be much more preferable to AWD. As a matter of fact, I would probably prefer FWD over AWD anyway.