Why does honda charge white orient pearl civic more?

MTBhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Im wondering why is the white orient pearl civics are $300CAD expensive? Is there any special painting process done to them compare to other color?
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura Manual Transmission + Nav + Heated Leather
Country flag
@MTBhatch, several reasons. Firstly, most premium colors these days go through a triple layer coating process which gives that extra depth of a premium look. In some cases, flecks of reflective material can be included as well to stand out even more, not to mention the usual clear coating and buffing etc... but it's possible that this may be the reason why it's a bit pricier, and maybe a bit more 'different' or 'stand out in the crowd'ish so to speak.

Secondly, market research shows trendy colors throughout the years to reflect consumer's taste and as each year differs from the past, research and development teams will usually go for the most popular colors (of course white is one of them) and try to gain some extra profit margin to please both parties. Each manufacturer is different on these color tastes and usually black (in the states) and brown (europe) are the base colors to start from.

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmm, that's interesting. They never used to charge a premium for the colour, it was always the same price for whatever paint colour you wanted. You would think that maybe the sonic grey pearl would be a premium, as it's the rarest colour in Canada. But then again, every 4th Civic I see is white. And it's white ORCHID pearl, not orient pearl.

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmm, that's interesting. They never used to charge a premium for the colour, it was always the same price for whatever paint colour you wanted. You would think that maybe the sonic grey pearl would be a premium, as it's the rarest colour in Canada. But then again, every 4th Civic I see is white. And it's white ORCHID pearl, not orient pearl.
White Orient Pearl is exclusive in China.;)

OP
OP
MTBhatch

MTBhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
My bad. I meant white orchid pearl

yhkwok

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Galant ES 2.4, 18 Sienna XLE (FWD), 18 FK7 ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is this extra charge a new thing? I don't recall this listed on my windows sticker, mines a 18 Hatchback ST

flashcash

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I purchased a 2019 EX-L (picking it up Monday afternoon) in Platinum White Pearl and didn't pay extra. Not sure why or if Honda is charging more for White Orchid Pearl for whatever models that's offered. The 2018 EX-L came in White Orchid Pearl.

Which begs this question: Does anybody know the difference between the two shades? They look pretty close in color on Honda's website, though the Platinum doesn't look quite as white. Is that correct?

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In Italy all metallic colors have a surcharge, which means you can only get a red Civic for the base price:crazy: it's really a bad way to steal money from customers.
Here in China all Honda colors are the same price, this is the standard for all brands except in rare cases some special 3 layer pearls.
I remember i was so happy the first time i went to order the cheapest Ford Focus to drive to the factory for work and i choose white to avoid surcharges, then the sales told me i could have any color i wanted for free.

DamonS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX
white paint, by its very nature, is very soft and can require extra hardeners and bonding agents to stay on the vehicle. GM went through a stint for almost 8 years where they couldn't keep the Arctic White on any of the hoods of the vehicles, most companies have learned from the mistake and made corrections.

from what I remember with GM, it took an additional bonding layer (so bonding, primer, paint/clear).. the more additives the more brittle, but also adheres well, so its a funny balance between it chipping off easily and just pulling off in sheets

BrianDevin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX HatchWagon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The WOP paint is a tricoat and cost more for the same reason as the NSX and its 13(?) coat paint options.
It just takes a little more to do, so they charge a bit more. Nonetheless, it is a truly fantastic color imo

Civicster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T MT
Country flag
I wasn't charged any extra for mine. I had a choice of the blue or this white orchid pearl for same price. The color blue they used was not for me. I'm sure some dealers are adding that as a add on just to make a little more pocket change.

Last edited:

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Might be a Canadian-only thing. It didn't used to be a premium on previous year models. Seems to be "new for 2019". Looks the same for the Platinum White on some sedan and coupe trims too, where WOP has been discontinued.

BogdanM

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Plus 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In Italy all metallic colors have a surcharge, which means you can only get a red Civic for the base price:crazy: it's really a bad way to steal money from customers.
In Europe all brands have a surcharge for metallic / pearl colors, not only Honda, it is a common, general practice.
Sponsored